Advice for toning upper arms.

Options
I'm a relatively new user of myfitnesspal and also new to exercise.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for toning upper arms. Mine tend to wobble and I'd quite like them to stop doing that.

Thanks!

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce the fat. It will go when it is ready. But you can work to preserve the muscle you have. But for my money, the best home or anywhere exercise for arms is pushups.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Best toning for shoulders and upper arms is push ups and pull ups...
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A tremendous amount of the fat is gone and now I have bat wings but I have been doing arm circles nearly every day and working out with light weights and they are slowly improving. May not have complete success since I am an old broad and skin loses elasticity with age and does not bounce back but I am working at it and I have some definite progress going on.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I hate when people do that....they hear tone and think "You can't lose fat there"....gosh people, learn some reading comprehension. She didn't say she wanted to lose weight off her arms...end rant....

To answer you OP, same thing to you as I posted earler this morning...

Push-ups
    Pull/chin-ups
    chair dips

If you have or can get weights:
    curls
    flys
    presses
    weighted arm circles (use very, very low weights lol)

If you have access to a gym, combo moves such as (start out low weight to get form down first):
    snatches
    push presses
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also be aware, there is no such thing as "toning". Regularly engaging in compound movements for the upper body (push ups, chin ups, over head pressing) will develop the arms and you will see them tighten up a bit over time. The rest will come as body fat begins to dip as you increase lean mass.

All the best!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    At home exercises: push ups, tricep dips, burpees, and pull ups will go a long way to help tone upper arms, shoulders, back and even stomach muscles. Don;t have weights, use gal of milk as a weight

If at the gym, pick up HEAVY weight (not to heavy, you don;t want an injury, but heavy enough that by the time you are on your 3rd set, you cannot not finish your reps), and do bicep curls, tricep extensions, up right rows, shoulder press, etc...You can also do all the at home exercises, to mix it all up.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post something similiar. I have been working on my overall fitness and my arms have always been my trouble area. When I stop waving, my arms still are lol. I have been doing girly pushups until I'm strong enough to hold my own weight. Boy do I DISLIKE pushups LOL

I have been doing the weight machines for my arms at the gym too. I'm def building muscle. Perhaps a dumb question-- does building muscle = losing inches on arms?

Rachael
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively new user of myfitnesspal and also new to exercise.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for toning upper arms. Mine tend to wobble and I'd quite like them to stop doing that.

Thanks!

Push ups
    Pull ups
    Planks
    Strength training with heavy weights that challange you

There are a lot of nay sayers regarding bicep curls and tricep extensions but I really like these exercises too. The key is to perform them with heavier weights and less repetition (lol...actually that rule applies to all aspects of weight training).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lose weight and do strength training for your arms. Weights, pushups, triceps dips, pullups, resistance bands, a combination of some or all of those. Just keep increasing intensity. If it gets easy, make it harder.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the weight machines for my arms at the gym too. I'm def building muscle. Perhaps a dumb question-- does building muscle = losing inches on arms?

Rachael

No, but you are not likely build much while losing weight. You may have a little gain in muscle but mostly you will preserve muscle, lose fat and increase strength. These are all good things that will make your arms smaller and more shapely.
  • Smashleighjayne
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hate when people do that....they hear tone and think "You can't lose fat there"....gosh people, learn some reading comprehension. She didn't say she wanted to lose weight off her arms...end rant....

To answer you OP, same thing to you as I posted earler this morning...

Push-ups
    Pull/chin-ups
    chair dips

If you have or can get weights:
    curls
    flys
    presses
    weighted arm circles (use very, very low weights lol)

If you have access to a gym, combo moves such as (start out low weight to get form down first):
    snatches
    push presses

For me, that isn't what I focused on, I saw wobble, and to me that indicates fat as an issue. But perhaps my perception of intent was faulty.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    arm exercises are a waste of time. just do full body compounds. they also work the arms. And provide much greater calorie burn.

there is no such thing as a toning exercise. they don't exist. Muscle either grows, shrinks or stays the same. the word tone for 99% of the population means preserve lean mass and lose body fat. So knowing this, your goal should not be to do arm exercises. (hell, noone should be doing arm exercises unless they are specifically looking to body build, there are much greater uses for gym time than wasting it on such small muscle groups) It should be instead on doing any sort of compound full body resistance training, and pay close attention to your diet to get yourself into deficit. Do that, and fat loss will occur with lean mass retention. Voila, arms will eventually look toned, along with the rest of your body.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    arm exercises are a waste of time. just do full body compounds. they also work the arms. And provide much greater calorie burn.

/sigh

As somebody else mentioned, you cannot spot reduce. Exercise within a certain region has shown to increase blood circulation to that which can assist in fat mobilization but it's not true spot reducing. Your body burns fat where it wants to; it's not a symmetrical process.

Assuming your diet is in order, and aside from doing some compound exercises here are some considerations. All of these are pretty much high-rep, like minimum of 8, deltoid exercises at least 12 reps I would say.

- Triceps: Dips, decline DB Extensions, Lying EZ bar extensions, standing Cable Pressdowns
    - Biceps: Chin-ups (palms facing you), Offset DB Curls (don't hold it directly in the middle closer to the outer edge), Scott/Preacher Curls
    Deltoids: Lat raises (lateral deltoid), Face Pulls (rear deltoids), Front Raises (but probably not needed)

Why did I include a shoulder muscle (deltoid)??? If you look at leaner people that have nice looking upper arms they typically have nicely developed deltoids that give the upper arm that appearance (the "V" on the side), however; that's of course not really part of the bicep or tricep. Benching, and OHP'ing (word?) will help of course but I've noticed just with myself that doing some high volume deltoid work has helped develop that, and not to mention that I feel those exercises provide some additional stability and add to your overall shoulder health.
  • phjorg1
    Options

/sigh

As somebody else mentioned, you cannot spot reduce. Exercise within a certain region has shown to increase blood circulation to that which can assist in fat mobilization but it's not true spot reducing. Your body burns fat where it wants to; it's not a symmetrical process.

Assuming your diet is in order, and aside from doing some compound exercises here are some considerations. All of these are pretty much high-rep, like minimum of 8, deltoid exercises at least 12 reps I would say.

- Triceps: Dips, decline DB Extensions, Lying EZ bar extensions, standing Cable Pressdowns
    - Biceps: Chin-ups (palms facing you), Offset DB Curls (don't hold it directly in the middle closer to the outer edge), Scott/Preacher Curls
    Deltoids: Lat raises (lateral deltoid), Face Pulls (rear deltoids), Front Raises (but probably not needed)

Why did I include a shoulder muscle (deltoid)??? If you look at leaner people that have nice looking upper arms they typically have nicely developed deltoids that give the upper arm that appearance (the "V" on the side), however; that's of course not really part of the bicep or tricep. Benching, and OHP'ing (word?) will help of course but I've noticed just with myself that doing some high volume deltoid work has helped develop that, and not to mention that I feel those exercises provide some additional stability and add to your overall shoulder health.
    It's like you didn't read anything that I posted... I also like the part where you talk about being unable to spot reduce, then recommend arm exercises for some baffling reason...
  • JNick77
    Options

/sigh

It's like you didn't read anything that I posted... I also like the part where you talk about being unable to spot reduce, then recommend arm exercises for some baffling reason...

You didn't read my post... part of my post, "Assuming your diet is in order, and aside from doing some compound exercises here are some considerations" So, if her diet is in order she will support fat loss. Meanwhile she can continue to develop her muscles and overtime as her body burns fat it will eventually reveal the definition in her arms. How's that?

Furthermore you should stop telling people to not do arm exercises because they're a waste of time. Yes, compound movements should be the focus on weight training in helping to build strength but that doesn't mean some other work isn't warranted. You have likely read far too much about Stronglifts 5x5 and while that method has merit, it's not the end-all-be-all to lifting and doing a little accessory work for supporting muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, deltoids, traps, rhomboids, lats, and hamstrings is NOT A WASTE OF TIME. Get some more experience in lifting before you make more comments on what people shouldn't be doing.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Furthermore you should stop telling people to not do arm exercises because they're a waste of time. Yes, compound movements should be the focus on weight training in helping to build strength but that doesn't mean some other work isn't warranted. You have likely read far too much about Stronglifts 5x5 and while that method has merit, it's not the end-all-be-all to lifting and doing a little accessory work for supporting muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, deltoids, traps, rhomboids, lats, and hamstrings is NOT A WASTE OF TIME. Get some more experience in lifting before you make more comments on what people shouldn't be doing.
    so you agree compound movements should be a focus. ok good. We're making progress here. Now look through these threads, how many are saying compound movements as a focus? Instead they are blathering out every arm isolation movement you can think of. Guess what, thats a bloody waste of time. So yes, they are a waste of time if you're devoting them to arm movements and not full body compounds. Get it yet?

And every group you listed will be worked by a proper compound template.

I've never read sl 5x5 btw. Obvious I know more than you though. I at least know enough to not recommend arm exercises to someone looking to reduce body fat.
  • JNick77
    Options
    so you agree compound movements should be a focus. ok good. We're making progress here. Now look through these threads, how many are saying compound movements as a focus? Instead they are blathering out every arm isolation movement you can think of. Guess what, thats a bloody waste of time. So yes, they are a waste of time if you're devoting them to arm movements and not full body compounds. Get it yet?

And every group you listed will be worked by a proper compound template.

I've never read sl 5x5 btw. Obvious I know more than you though. I at least know enough to not recommend arm exercises to someone looking to reduce body fat.

Again, my whole recommendation is based on the ASSUMPTION (understand / comprende'?) that her diet in in order and will support fat loss. I am not recommending arm exercises for fat loss, I'm recommending them for muscle development and on the side as a support to improving in compound movements. I also stated that "aside from doing compound movements." Perhaps I should've said in-addition to, but that was also part of my assumption. So I believe I included all of the important items before I made my additional recommendations.

You know more than me? Pleas indulge me with your experience, results, what you've actually read. Would love to hear it.