Vibram 5-Fingers

Options
I found a pair of Vibrams on clearance at a ridiculous price at REI, so I scooped them up. I've been wearing them casually but did my first full fledged workout in them last night. I took them out for a spin on the treadmill. The experience was definitely unique. First of all, I call them my "paws". I love how I feel like I'm gripping the ground and there's a greater range of motion. On the treadmill, I was definitely more conscious of how my feet were striking the ground. I felt lighter and faster during my higher intervals. On the downside (if this even is a downside), after about 45 minutes, several muscles in my feet, ankles and shins were really sore. Apparently, I've got all these muscles I never use wearing sneakers! I'm gonna have such sculpted ankles. :P I'm assuming there is a period of adjustment that goes with these. All in all, I really like them a lot.

vibram-fivefinger-shoes.jpg

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would transition into them slowly. Like go from a regular running shoe to a minimalist shoe to the Vibrams. My wife is transitioning and she went out last weekend and ran a few miles in the Vibrams. Her calves were in a lot of pain for a few days. It takes some getting used to. I'm wearing them in the house right now only. Eventually I'll get a minimal shoe like Brooks Pure series before every trying to run in Vibrams.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree, it takes some transitioning. I've been reading up on barefoot running because as natural as it may seem, it feels pretty weird considering the benefits of a supportive shoe have been touted to me my whole life. You just can't expect to do everything you would normally do right at first. I began doing some workouts at home barefoot and have the same calf and foot soreness. Over time I think you learn though what hurts and how to change your running pattern to compensate for that.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It will take a while to strenghten all those muscles and tendons that have spend years not being used in regular shoes. Pay attention to how things feel and don't do too much too soon or something will break.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it's on the Vibrams website where they give a tutorial on how to ease into wearing the shoes. Basically, don't strike with your heel, stretch your foot after working out, and gradually increase your mileage for running/walking to avoid injury.

I've been wearing Vibrams for about a year and, as long as I don't have to run on concrete, I can't imagine going back to regular shoes.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did have to adjust. I had to cut my workout time shorter than I normally would and I definitely feel it this morning! It's a strange place to be sore at but I'm no stranger to muscle soreness.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think it's on the Vibrams website where they give a tutorial on how to ease into wearing the shoes. Basically, don't strike with your heel, stretch your foot after working out, and gradually increase your mileage for running/walking to avoid injury.

I've been wearing Vibrams for about a year and, as long as I don't have to run on concrete, I can't imagine going back to regular shoes.

Thank you! I'm definitely going to explore the site.
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    They say to do short bursts wearing them so those muscles get used to being used. I love wearing mine casually and on the treadmill. I wore them for a 10K two years ago(I was walking) and my feet were on fire half way thru. Not enough cushion for pavement. Grass, dirt, treadmill: awesome!
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    side note: I love being barefoot, btw, which is why I was so excited to get the 5 fingers. A few years back, someone ran that same 10K we do up here TOTALLY barefoot...on the pavement! He came in 2nd!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Do you still like your "paws"? I've been playing around with buying some, and at REI's price, I am nearly to the point where I can't resist!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see more reviews. Been considering purchasing them, as they look damn comfortable for working out..
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see more reviews. Been considering purchasing them, as they look damn comfortable for working out..

Vibram's are extremely comfortable, but you have to do a slow transition. Also, with some versions you have to care for them different so you do not get the "5 finger funk", which is the most ridiculous smell after wearing them even a couple times. You have to keep up on that, otherwise you can smell them a mile away. :laugh:
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Vibram's are extremely comfortable, but you have to do a slow transition. Also, with some versions you have to care for them different so you do not get the "5 finger funk", which is the most ridiculous smell after wearing them even a couple times. You have to keep up on that, otherwise you can smell them a mile away. :laugh:

Oh please, I already deal with that trying to keep my regular kicks nice and fresh. Seriously nothing worse than the smell of funky feet after a workout :laugh:
    Also, I was wondering about wearing them in the cold weather. I seen the socks for them....another thing I would prolly have to purchase I assume.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I absolutely love my Vibrams. I have the Speed which come with laces so they are great for cross training. I don't lift in anything other than my Five Fingers now. For running, it takes some getting used to, but it's not as difficult as a lot of people would have you believe. Read up on minimalist/barefoot stride, focus on it, and you will be fine!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Oh please, I already deal with that trying to keep my regular kicks nice and fresh. Seriously nothing worse than the smell of funky feet after a workout :laugh:
    Also, I was wondering about wearing them in the cold weather. I seen the socks for them....another thing I would prolly have to purchase I assume.

Yes, they can be a bit chilly in cold weather, but I haven't tried socks with them. I probably should though.... :smile:
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love mine, took very little adjustment and I found them much easier to live with outside than on a treadmill. I ran my fastest mile and a half in mine last month (10:40) and four days later ran a 10K in them. The only thing I don't like is that I have discovered that as the miles pile up the ends of my toes can get rubbed raw as they move inside the shoes a bit with no sock to pad that movement.

I also love them for squat and deadlift days.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair for my daughter, but I'm thinking these might be perfect for mud & trail runs...basically I'm bumping for the info here. Thanks!
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had several pairs and just love them. I think they are great for mud runs. I did Tough Mudder at Mt. Snow in mine. The don't get heavy even after slogging through mud, swimming through water, etc. You will want to build up your distance slowly -- calves can be very sore when you first start.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many good reviews about them and other barefoot shoes. I won't buy them (5 fingers) though because I can't use them to compete. However, I bought a great alternative, the Merrill trail runners. They have a vibram sole and a wide toe that allows your toes to splay wide to mimic bare foot running. They are super light and lace up nice and tight.

I don't run. At all. But I've used them on stairs, trail sprints and just walking. Mostly though, I use them to deadlift.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many good reviews about them and other barefoot shoes. I won't buy them (5 fingers) though because I can't use them to compete.

You can't have them in your fed? Even if you could fit a pair for toe sox?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Be very careful!! I ran in a pair of Newtons a couple of times (not my usual shoe brand) and ended up with achilles tendonities that didn't go away for 5 years.

I cannot stress how important it is to take it slowly, because if you injure a ligament or a tendon, you can be laid up for years.