Who else uses a food scale?

Options

Replies

• SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love mine!
    I don't use it for everything because I have to come to find out I can eye ball fairly accurately...but I always use it for meat, cheese & calorie dense foods
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    LOVE mine too!! Have one at home and at the office - better to take the extra effort to weigh something than be off by xxx amount of calories when logging :)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use one. Only thing I don't use it for are for things that could fit in a tbsp or tsp.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Moi. Though, you look like you don't need to weigh your food :tongue:

I want to start carrying mine in my purse (one day). Once you start weighing food... it becomes 2nd nature and you wanna do it all the time.

ETA: none
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy one this weekend. Would you guys recommend any particular brand or model?

I'm considering this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biggest-Loser-11-lb-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/19528896
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't but I am getting one soon...I used to years ago and have no idea why I stopped using it. :huh:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale all the time (when I'm home, haha). It's been a very useful tool in this process. I highly recommend!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    food scale that I use constantly, and measuring cups. I draw the line at restaurants, but hey, when putting your health first, nothing is too weird, right?

I find it helpful to know a few things about what different foods "look" like. A cup is about a woman's fist. three ounces of meat is a deck of cards. I don't sweat the lower-cal veggies, even at home. If I'm off by a little, no real problem. I tigure in a fidge factor that assumes I've guessed under by 10%
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale, measuring cups, and spoons to measure out my food...I've gotten so well at knowing what a 4 oz piece of meat looks like that I usually am right on the money when I put it on the scale.....LOL
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Yup. I use all the aforementioned items to measure and weigh. I round up and overestimate (as best I can) if I'm just stuck (very rare) and can't measure/weight.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy one this weekend. Would you guys recommend any particular brand or model?

I'm considering this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biggest-Loser-11-lb-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/19528896

That one looks good. I have this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40094229
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My eyes are way way off. So we weigh weigh weigh everything. I've even converted my crockpot recipes into ounces (chili, stew, etc) for serving sizes. It works really great. If anyone is thinking of getting one, make sure you can change it from ounces to grams. I've not taken it to a restaurant yet, but now that that idea is in my head. . . . hmmmm. :bigsmile:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I mix hair dye and developer by weight...with my food scale :blushing:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Mine is the brand OXO - 11lb if you want recommendations. Probably available other places.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368211116&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+scale+11+lb
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make breakfast or lunch without mine!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    As we don't use measuring cups over here in the UK my portions depend on it!
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bought mine a week ago, after registered here - dramatic change! Makes it easy and enjoyable to count calories!
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No but probably should :smile:
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have measured, weighed and logged every bite for nine months now. Smartest thing I ever did. And if I don't finish everything on my plate, I weigh what's left so I can subtract it from my log.

But a digital measuring spoon? I gotta find one of those.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do! I use a Cat Cora digital scale that I got at walmart on sale for $19. I usually have 3oz of chickens in my meals. Before I used to think I was eating 3-4 oz when in reality it was 7-8. My scale was a great investment.