Gym in the EARLY AM before Hubby has to leave?

Options
Does anyone do this?

I would LOVE to be able to get up and get to the gym by 5:30 at the latest b/c I would have to be home by 6:30 so that my DH (dear husband) can go to work b/c we have 3 young kids (9 yr old and twin 4 yr olds).

Maybe I can start by just doing this 1 day a week. There is a spin class I'd LOVE to take b/c it's with a great instructor. I would only be able to do 45 min instead of the 1 hr. b/c I would have to leave 15 min early.

The earliest I have been able to exercise in the am (based on my own desire/ability) to get out of bed is 6am. That's at home and doing my treadmill like I did this am.

Anyone turned into an AM exercise convert?

Replies

• LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I can't do a darn thing in the mornings.

I say do it!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why I started working out early. I have 3 kids and my hubby leaves for work by 6:20. I take the 5:15 spin class or get in the pool at 5AM.

Just do it. Set your clothes out the night before, set your alarm across the room from the bed (so you have to get UP to turn it off!), and just go. Your body will adjust. You might have to get to bed earlier at night though!!! I'm used to early mornings now, it sets my day off on the right foot! :bigsmile:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to develop this habit, too. So far I have not been able to do it, unless there is an unavoidable reason (for instance, having to get my child to swim practice in the wee hours). But this summer I will have to. It will be too hot to work out, even late. The hardest part may be going to bed early enough. That's especially hard with young kids, because after the kids go to bed is the only time we moms get to have to ourselves! Good luck to both of us!
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    LOL...I hear ya!

Some days I feel like that. That extra 20 min of sleep usually sounds better.

Today my motivation was I either do the treadmill @ home this am or it would have been nothing! Yesterday was my "off" day so I HAD to get up and do it. My son has baseball tonight so no gym for me. BUT..all that entailed was getting up/get dressed and head downstairs. Would I have loved to have gotten up earlier and added Pilates to that...YES, but I didn't get up w/ enough time to do both! :grumble:

Gradual I guess...I will get there!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and have to be at work at 7:15. I can't get up at 4:00 to go to the gym. SO... I exercise right after work at the gym. BUT, during the summer I'm up and at the gym by 5:30/6am before the hubby goes to work. I like doing it that way best!
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I pack my gym bag, have it in the car, and have the gym clothes next to the bed, ready to roll into when the alarm goes off. It's the only time I've got with getting my girls to school on time, going to work, picking them up, making dinner, cleaning up, doing laundry, walking the dog, feeding the pets, etc. I like it better than my other option: late nights. I can't sleep well after working out as I'm still all revved up. But the option is still there if I eat too much during the day. I've learned to love my early mornings!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every morning at 4:30am. I love it! It gives me so much energy throughout the whole day! And its not as packed as it is 4pm-10pm, you're lucky to even get a tredmill during those hours!
  • dgrebin
    dgrebin Posts: 3
    Options
    AM workouts are the best. Reasons why? You get your workout done before anyone needs you for anything in the morning. You feel better about yourself all throughout the day. You'll eat better, you'll drink more water, and just feel more energized. The best thing for me when I started working out in the morning is I had no excuse not to work out. I wasn't coming home at night too tired to work out, no time to work out. It was already done. Also, you don't feel bad about yourself. I always felt guilty that I didn't work out that day because of whatever excuse there was. If you work out in the morning, there's no feeling bad becuase there really is no excuse.

It's hard at first, but you'll get used to it. Set your alarm, and first thing when it goes off, don't think about getting up. Just put your feet on the floor and go. Have your workout clothes, shoes, keys, everything ready to go.

Give yourself two weeks. Just try everything you can to give yourself two weeks to get up in the morning and work out. After that, you either know you just can't do it (because you're really not a morning person) or you're so used to it and are loving it, that waking up at 5:00 is just another part of your day.

Good luck!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. I was getting up at 4:30 to go to the gym to be home in time to get ready for work and out the door. I LOVE it! Gets you going for the day. An extra hour or 30 minutes of sleep isn't going to make THAT Much of a difference.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I go for a jog or walk around 5ish in the morning so I can get 40-60 minutes in before my husband has to go to work. Baby and husband are still sleeping at that time... It's really the only time that works for me, since when he comes home, he goes for a short jog, then it's time for me to make dinner, then it's baby's bath time, bed time, and by 8pm, I have NO energy or motivation to work out. I'll work around the house then, but forget a real workout.

I guess it depends if you are a morning or an evening person! I find the morning jog really gets me going for the day, AND it reassures me that "Yes - I can eat 'that' because I already earned it. I could just see myself getting really hungry during the day and worrying that I won't have the energy to work out at night to account for the calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow and really excited. Do it!!
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yep four days a week. I wake up at 3:45 to make it to the gym at 4:10. I have three girls to get dressed and make breakfast. My husband gets up at about 6:00. This is a more realistic thing for me to do because I hate to do anything in the afternoon.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I generally go every other day with morning workouts (get up at 5:15) or after work (4:30 pm). I will admit though that once I get up and work out in the morning I do feel more refreshed when I get to work at 8:00. When I work out in the morning I set beside my bed my inhaler, shoes, HRM, socks, ipod, and clothes. I even wear parts of my work out clothes to bed sometimes so it makes it just that much easier :) Since I live in a duplex and I have a roommate that sleeps below me I can't do my videos/plyometrics in the morning so I do those on the afternoon days. :)
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting up early to workout also, but when I do get up the rest of my day is so much better! I have lots more energy and I also seem to eat healthier if I start the day right.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I work out in the mornings at 5:30 till 6:30 then to work by 7 ishhhhhhhhhhh (sometimes 20 minutes of a ish)

then I workout after work aswell. 4:30 -5:45/6

I typically don't workout on the weekends, instead I am working around the house (laundry, gardening, out walking, things like that)
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do this?

I would LOVE to be able to get up and get to the gym by 5:30 at the latest b/c I would have to be home by 6:30 so that my DH (dear husband) can go to work b/c we have 3 young kids (9 yr old and twin 4 yr olds).

Maybe I can start by just doing this 1 day a week. There is a spin class I'd LOVE to take b/c it's with a great instructor. I would only be able to do 45 min instead of the 1 hr. b/c I would have to leave 15 min early.

The earliest I have been able to exercise in the am (based on my own desire/ability) to get out of bed is 6am. That's at home and doing my treadmill like I did this am.

Anyone turned into an AM exercise convert?

I get up at 4:45AM :yawn: and pick up my friend and we go to a bootcamp workout class from 5:30-6:30AM on MWF. I have two kids at home and my husband is there at that time to watch them. I get home by 6:50AM, jump in the shower and make small breakfast for the kids then take them to school and I am off to work!:bigsmile: Of course my 12 yr old dtr gets herself ready and my husband gets my 7 yr old son ready then goes back to sleep since he got in from work at 1AM. My husband is being very supportive. On Tues,Thurs & Sat, I run on the treadmill at 7PM after me and the kids have eaten dinner. It works for me!:smile:
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You guys are warriors!! I'm so impressed by those of you who are getting up so early to fit in a workout. I especially love that you're (as far as I can tell) a bunch of moms who also have a full day of work, watching your kids, housework, etc. AFTER you get up before dawn.

How inspiring!