running in the rain

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I'm running a half marathon on Sunday and there is a 70% chance of rain. The last time I ran 6 miles in the rain, my clothes literally tore my skin up. My feet got blisters, my sports bra rubbed the skin off my chest, and my tech shirt rubbed the skin off my collarbone. I'm afraid of what will happen for a Half Marathon. I don't wear any cotton clothing.

For those of you that do run in the rain, do you have these problems? What do you do to prevent them? It will be about 60 degrees. Part of the race is next to a lake, so wind could be an issue. I'm thinking of just minimizing clothes altogether. Loose shorts and a tank top over my sports bra, but am afraid of being too cold if rain and wind are an issue.

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Rain on race day is my biggest marathon fear!

I have done sucessful long runs in the rain though. I wore compression shorts with about a 5 inch inseam so my thighs wouldn't rub against each other or the fabric and a fitted tank top (it was about 70). I think with rain its better to go tight and where clothes that will not move around. Add a thin water resitant running jacket over the top. I've even seen people use plastic garbage bags to keep dry.

Also use lots of glide or bag balm along all the seams and anywhere the edge of fabric meets your skin.

Baseball cap and maybe an extra pairor pairs of dry socks in a ziplock bag so you can swap them out? I personally get less blisters with thin socks than anything with padding. I have wondered - but am afraind to try plastic bags over my socks and in my shoes.

Good luck and I hope it doesn't rain!
  • adstar20
    adstar20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of using body glide. Put it everwhere there is a seam that touches your skin or your clothing rubs and in the places in your shoes you are most likely to get blisters. Don't skimp. At longer distances, it is reallly about minimizing discomfort because, at least for me, it is pretty hard to avoid it.

I have seen people wear garbage bags. The benefit is that you can just rip them off, hulk style, and throw them away when you get too hot or if the sun comes out, but to me it just replaces rain with sweat because they don't allow moisture to escape.

I was once told that for running you should dress for the end of the race, not the beginning, and that has always been good advice for me. Think about what you need to wear once your core temperature heats up and go with that.
  • pobalita
    Options
    Good luck and I hope it doesn't rain!

It's Seattle....it will rain. lol :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh i love running in the rain,good luck!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wear a light poncho over your running gear.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Body Glide.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poncho :) as for your feet I am not sure O.o
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I think your best solution is to run naked ;)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of using body glide. Put it everwhere there is a seam that touches your skin or your clothing rubs and in the places in your shoes you are most likely to get blisters. Don't skimp. At longer distances, it is reallly about minimizing discomfort because, at least for me, it is pretty hard to avoid it.

I have seen people wear garbage bags. The benefit is that you can just rip them off, hulk style, and throw them away when you get too hot or if the sun comes out, but to me it just replaces rain with sweat because they don't allow moisture to escape.

I was once told that for running you should dress for the end of the race, not the beginning, and that has always been good advice for me. Think about what you need to wear once your core temperature heats up and go with that.

takes notes :D great advice
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half marathon on Sunday and there is a 70% chance of rain. The last time I ran 6 miles in the rain, my clothes literally tore my skin up. My feet got blisters, my sports bra rubbed the skin off my chest, and my tech shirt rubbed the skin off my collarbone. I'm afraid of what will happen for a Half Marathon. I don't wear any cotton clothing.

For those of you that do run in the rain, do you have these problems? What do you do to prevent them? It will be about 60 degrees. Part of the race is next to a lake, so wind could be an issue. I'm thinking of just minimizing clothes altogether. Loose shorts and a tank top over my sports bra, but am afraid of being too cold if rain and wind are an issue.

Get yourself some Wright Socks double layer socks--they are miraculous--use nip guards and plenty of Body Glide. You won't be cold. I was out in 51 degree weather yesterday pre-dawn in a tank top and running shorts and got soaked when one of the irrigation zones in the neighborhood came on unexpectedly. My body was generating plenty of heat by then.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I live in Seattle too, and run in the rain 90% of the time. I just wear good running pants, and a light weight jacket, waterproof jacket. Also I'm not a brand junkie but Brooks everything is awesome and they have good running tanks. Outlet store also in Bothell if you want to check them out. Good luck btw I hope to one day run a half myself.
  • pobalita
    Options
    thanks everyone for the awesome advice!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The snow !!! In a blizzard where you can hardly see...no traffic outside...just you...the snow...the windchill !!!