Does anyone use a Fitbit?

Options

Replies

• mommahix
    mommahix Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    to link up with friends on fitbit you need to know their email address or you can go to their profile and request them as a friend.
    my profile link is http://www.fitbit.com/user/24262H if you want to add me feel free
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit one, and am having a hard time for the calories burned to sync up with MFP. Anyone have any recommendations on how to do this?

Back to the OP---I got it, and I love it. It provides a great visual motivation for me, and makes me think twice about the elevator vs. stairs as well as getting some extra steps in for the day!

to sync you need to let both the fitbit and MFP site know you wan them to talk! It also helps to check the box for negative adjustments, they are not fun, but they help to motivate. Also check out the tech support threads, just search on fitbit syncing and you'll get more info than you'll ever need! It takes a bit of patience, but worth it to figure it all out:bigsmile:
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I had the original Fitbit, then moved to the One and loved it, despite leaving it in the washer once. Only bad thing was that it's a pain to use the sleep band, so I stopped tracking my sleep. But I love being able to easily see where I was at with my steps on the display.

A week ago I got a Flex, and even though it's newer, I can't say I prefer it over the One. I really miss the display, but I'm sticking with Flex for two reasons. First, because it's a wristband, my results are more consistent because I wear it all the time. I often forget to clip on my One, leaving gaps in my data. Second, the Flex is so easy to put into sleep mode. Technically it's also water resistant, but I haven't tested that out anywhere but the shower. I'm learning to check my phone to see my current steps.

I highly recommend Fitbit, but you'll need to weigh the One and the Flex to see which one is best for your needs.
  • Sassounette
    Options
    My husband and I own the FitBit One and we. are. addicted.

I'm not the kind of person who gets into motivational stuff or accomplishments, but this FitBit has awakened me. I work at home and was leading a very sedentary life.

I walk at least twice a day now, and my goal every single day is 10,000 steps or more. The FitBit tracks your stairs climbed (even when you're walking, it measures out the elevation into flights, 10ft increase in elevation = 1 flight), tracks distance, calories burned, and other stuff.

It even gives you these cute little motivational messages when you move it.

For $100, I was really nervous about buying it at first. In fact, even after I bought one, for about 3 days, I was skeptical. I wanted to return it four times in three days. One of my friends has one and convinced me to keep using it - there's a learning curve! I hung in there and now I can't live without it.

I DID have to do a lot of reading here on the MFP forums to understand TDEE, calorie adjustments, and how things are calculated. The information is here if you need it (THANK YOU!!), you just have to look. There are some very useful posts in this community about using a FitBit if you get lost.

I'd say it's well worth the $100.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! I just ordered the wrist band and the scale. 4 - 8 weeks back order on the band. Arghhhhh

Looking forward to it!

Thanks again!

Allen
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for about 3 weeks. A couple night I have even gone for a late evening walk just so i could get over 10,000 steps for the day on my non workout days. I wear it on me almost all the time.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • foge73
    foge73 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use Fitbit and LOVE it. My husband says I'm addicted as well which is true! It's been a huge motivator! I wear it 24/7.
  • darleneseufzer
    darleneseufzer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok I use the fitbit too, very addictive. However when I am doing the eliptical or treadmill do I log excersize also?
  • dlj911
    dlj911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Fitbit Ultra for about 9 months and love it. I, too, wear it 24 hours a day - almost always. It syncs with My Fitness Pal which takes the information and adjusts my calorie goal for the day. It is very motivating to see the impact that a long walk or exercise routine can have on what I can eat. I also use the Aria scale and it is fun to be able to see progress and then have it automatically appear on the Fitbit website and the MFP website. I highly recommend it and when this one stops working I will definitely buy whatever their newest product is.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ok I use the fitbit too, very addictive. However when I am doing the eliptical or treadmill do I log excersize also?

When I do the recumbent bike, I let it count my calories instead of my Fitbit. There is something about the recumbent's movements that doesn't register on my Fitbit. I wanted to see how accurate the bike's calorie counter was, and it turned out I hadn't gotten a single step registered on my Fitbit.

I'd use the calorie counter on your elliptical or treadmill, if you have one.

Plus, when you log your activity, you should log your start time and total amount of time spent doing the activity. MFP and Fitbit will talk to each other and the calories will automatically sort themselves out. (This is how my Fitbit One works, not sure if the other Fitbit types require the time and duration entries.)
  • nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just saw the review on yahoo. I have been thinking about something like this because the watch I wear bugs me and doesn't seen accurate but I really want someone to watch my heart rate while doing classes and such.

I just ordered one of the Flex versions. Based on the reviews from here it sounds like it should be a great product and I will love it. I hope the time fly's by. I can't wait to get addicted to it!

Thanks MFP community!!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have been pondering th Fitbit question for several weeks now. That settles it - time to get one
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit one for xmas and its been attached to me ever since. It has helped me make sense of the ups and downs of my weight and pushed me to move more between workouts. It really highlighted where I could make improvements and my fitness levels have increased dramatically since.

I wear a hrm for workouts and add the details here - it syncs to my fitbit so I dont need to update anything there

I have a mini panic attack if I cant find it when I've forgotten to put it back on after a shower or such. I wear it at night too.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I can't add much more to what has already been said except that I LOVE my fitbit one & wear it constantly; my best fitness/health investment; highly recommend!

ETA: Fellow fitbit addicts - check out earndit.com for even more motivation, link your fitbit & earn rewards, it's fun although I've already used up all the good rewards haha.
  • skittlebutts
    Options
    I have a fitbit one! love it :) I wear it all day, every day, and it's a good way of keeping track of when im actually active... i have found on my days off i seem to do about 5-10,000 steps less! well, not anymore!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the fitbit one. I've found it to be very accurate in estimating my TDEE. At the end of every month I calculate my actual TDEE (from calories eaten and actual weight lost) and my FB TDEE is usually within 50 kcal/day.

True, it is not accurate for swimming, rowing, biking, ellipticals or other non-weight bearing exercises, but you do those for 1 hour per day -- you can estimate or use a HRM. For the other 23 hours/day, the FB is a very accurate estimator if your data is entered correctly.

For anyone that has the Aria scale, you absolutely should be using trendweight.com. You set up an account and link it with your FB account and it will fetch your scale data and graph it as a ten day moving average, which is fantastic for smoothing out the water weight fluctuations that you get day to day.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    bump to read later
  • i2cute4words
    Options
    Anyone use the fitbit zip? Wondering whether it's as good (value for money since it is somewhat cheaper) as the fitbit one or flex.