Salad.....I can't force myself to eat it.

Options
freyaheart
freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
I don't know what my problem is but ever since I was little I have never liked lettuce. I can remember my first experience eating lettuce on a taco at Taco Bell and I think it turned me off forever. I tried eating lettuce at several point in my life trying to get over my hatred for it and it just never happened no matter what dressing I put on it.

Now fruit salad on the other hand that I have no problem eating.

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You're basing not liking salad off of.......lettuce at Taco Bell?????
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Nobody says you have to eat salad...however it is a low calorie and filling meal and can be quite healthy.

I assume you don't like iceberg lettuce (that's the nasty lettuce in Taco Bell tacos), well it is nutritionally void anyway, and pretty much tasteless.

Romaine, spinach, spring mix, arugula, butter lettuce...the list goes on and on. There are lots of yummy lettuces. Experiment!

If you still don't like it, then just eat other vegetables in its place.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    I can force myself to eat salad, but I'm not a fan and avoid it when possible. Have you tried fruit + green smoothies? You don't even taste the blended greens in smoothies.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my problem is but ever since I was little I have never liked lettuce. I can remember my first experience eating lettuce on a taco at Taco Bell and I think it turned me off forever. I tried eating lettuce at several point in my life trying to get over my hatred for it and it just never happened no matter what dressing I put on it.

Now fruit salad on the other hand that I have no problem eating.

If you don't like it, don't force yourself. There are plenty of other salads you can make that don't involve lettuce. Spinach, cabbage, kale, etc...
  • rayleecanuck
    rayleecanuck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like salads, but I have a tough time eating them all the time and I never get enough fruits and veggies into my diet. I started having green smoothies where I throw in greens like spinach, kale, swiss chard or anything else, along with other veggies and fruit. I also throw in some herbs for taste and health benefits, like parsley, cilantro or basil. throw everything into a blender with a cup or two of water and blend it up. I usually freeze my fruit so the smoothie stays cold and it has a slushy consistency. I get my entire daily requirement (and then some) of fruits and vegetables in my morning smoothie. I feel fantastic for the rest of the day after I have my smoothie :-)

They give me a ton of energy and fill me up for a very minimal amount of calories!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of other veggies out there. No need to eat something you don't like.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Try a salad with spinach or kale. Baby spinach tastes yummy.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about lettuce too. I have to be in the mood. It's a lot of volume for not very much slightly bitter, watery food.

I usually have lettuce free salads. It can be fun to add food which isn't so green and salady, such as beetroot, sweetcorn, raw turnip, etc.

Or if you don't like it presented as a salad you could have raw veg crudites with dips.

Or just cooked veg!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Salad doesn't have to be a lettuce salad. Maybe you'd find spinach more palatable? You can also make veg medlies - think of a loaded up garden salad (loaded with tomato, cucumber, pepper, artichokes, etc. whatever you like) without the lettuce.

Lettuce is just kind of filler and a bed for the good stuff in a salad anyway ..

ETA: Vailara beat me to it ...
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What I've learned, in part, with MFP is that you can eat pretty much whatever you want to . . . while being aware of the calorie count and nutrition.

So if you loathe salad for whatever reason, skip it. Never eat salad. Eat stuff you love . . . and just watch the portion sizes appropriately for your allotted calories.

No biggie.
  • AAllin38
    AAllin38 Posts: 20
    Options
    Dont eat what you dont like. Make your healthy lifestyle fun, not terrible!
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Replace it with leaf spinach. Works for me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Try spring mix (mesclun) greens with a handful of berries and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing or fruit flavored yogurt for dressing. If you have a dislike for plain iceberg lettuce, so do I, it's boring. Mixed greens have more flavors. I like to chop up some Swiss cheese or smoked string cheese and add that.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    So don't force yourself to eat salad. You might end up feeling deprived if you eat something you don't like. I'm a big fan of adding spinach to my morning protein smoothies. I have a vitamix blender and I put my vegan protein powder in (better than all the whey I sampled), add some spinach, some berries and some unsweetened almond milk and I get my greens in. I like salad, but sometimes I just don't feel like sitting around chewing that much fiber.

Eat steamed greens as well, like spinach and kale with some olive oil and salt. Yum.

Never force yourself to eat something you don't like but do try new things.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Healthy living or changing your lifestyle to lose weight does NOT mean you have to eat salad. I can't eat iceberg lettuce at all, never have been able to. Baby spinach leaves work well, though.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I personally love spinach and kale. One time, I was out of both but still had all the veggies, eggs and chicken I normally put in my salad, so I made a leafless salad. The beautifull thing about salads is that it can have whatever you want in it.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Nobody says you have to eat salad...however it is a low calorie and filling meal and can be quite healthy.

I assume you don't like iceberg lettuce (that's the nasty lettuce in Taco Bell tacos), well it is nutritionally void anyway, and pretty much tasteless.

Romaine, spinach, spring mix, arugula, butter lettuce...the list goes on and on. There are lots of yummy lettuces. Experiment!

If you still don't like it, then just eat other vegetables in its place.

This is great advice. I started out hating salads, too. I would get so embarrassed at restaurants when the server would ask me what kind of dressing and I'd have to tell him/her no salad for me. I got tired of it, frankly.

I forced myself to eat salad. But here's how I got started. I did not eat iceberg. It's worthless. I used different kinds of lettuce, like the quote above suggests. Then, I made sure to cut the leaves very very very small with a knife and fork, just like something on your plate. Just cut that stuff up. Then, I used a heaping pile of add ins, like sesame seeds, bacon bits, etc. I think there's a Durkee brand canister of this stuff. It's simply called "salad topping" or something like that. Check the salad dressing aisle.

So, there, I had all this little stuff in the bowl. I did not use any dressing. I never have gotten to like it. So, eating it like this, it never felt like salad to me. I gradually increased the size of the leaves and decreased the amount of salad toppings, and started substituting grilled steak, chicken, hard boiled eggs, you name it.

Before long, I could handle salad with minimal trouble. I won't say that it's the first thing I think of when I'm hungry, but I do eat salad now and that's something I never, ever thought I could say. Good luck. Keep trying!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Salad doesn't have to include lettuce...or any leafy green if you don't want.

My favourite one to make is chopped up tomatoes, cucumber, orange pepper, kalamata olives, and chick peas. I put Italian dressing on it, and if I have the calories I'll put some goat feta on top.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you don't like lettuce, don't eat it.

I often eat tomato, onion, cucumber salad. Add in some bell peppers if you like them. Any veggies will do--mushrooms, zucchini, etc. It doesn't have to include lettuce or another green to be a "salad." Call it a bowl of veggies if it suits you better.

I like mine with raspberry vinaigrette or balsamic dressing. My kids eat their bowls of raw veggies with ranch.