Protein Suggestions... Please

bluegirl10
bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I'm trying to add more protein to my diet.... I already eat lean chicken, fish, shrimp, egg whites... Any other suggestions for either meals or snacks? Thank you!

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    protein powder smoothies. I have one everyday for my morning snack. fresh fruit or frozen, almond milk and whey protien powder.
  • nuts and beans are also a good source of protein. I buy the nuts from the baking section at the grocery store as those don't have any added salt and I buy low sodium canned beans.
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Body Fortress Chocolate Protein Powder is AWESOME!! Two scoops however you want (i just like plain water) is 52G of Protein and only like 4g of Fat and 8g Carbs (2g Sugars)

Im big on Tuna too....yum yum
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    I was going to suggest nuts too. I really dig pistachios right now!

I also really love cutting up a hard boiled egg in my salads, and/or throwing in some edamame (soybeans).
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    If your not opposed to soy every now and again- Tempeh has 22 grams per serving. Its pretty easy to use too, and not bad in the taste department.

Also, Chickpeas, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, quinoa.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Actually, nuts are not a good source of protein. For every gram of protein, they have approximately 1 g of fat and 1 g of carbs (thought this varies based on the nut). Plus, the protein in them is not particularly bio-available as they aren't complete proteins. Therefore, IMO, they are merely an okay source of protein. But they are a good source of Omega fatty acids. Beans are better because they have less fat but they also have a lot of carbs and aren't complete proteins.

Here are my go to protein snacks & meals:

-Low carb Protein shakes. I like Chike and Whey Gourmet Smooth PB & Chocolate but everyone is different. Just watch out for the ones designed for body builders that have more carbs than protein.
    -Cheese sticks (reduced fat)
    -Hard-boiled eggs (the cholesterol in eggs has been determined not to cause problems with a person's cholesterol numbers and the fat in them is "good" fat)
    -Greek Yogurt (I like FAGE) - don't get the kind with fruit added -- too much sugar! Get plain and add your own stuff so you can control it
    -Cottage cheese
    -Beef jerky (sparingly due to the nitrates)
    -Protein bars (but watch out for fats and carbs - some of these bars are LOADED)
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Greek Yogurt. It's really good with a bit of honey and some chopped nuts or any kind of fruit.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Actually, nuts are not a good source of protein. For every gram of protein, they have approximately 1 g of fat and 1 g of carbs (thought this varies based on the nut). Plus, the protein in them is not particularly bio-available as they aren't complete proteins. Therefore, IMO, they are merely an okay source of protein.

LOL, shows what I know! Well, at least maybe getting pistachios out of the shell will help to not eat too many too fast. And may count as a workout? Just kidding :tongue:
  • Everything else I like has been mentioned, but I will add that I love beef, turkey, and buffalo jerky. Portable and lean.
    Check out Trader Joe's brand, as they do not contains any nitrates or MSG. I stock up when I am there. They have different flavors as well.
    Online, you can find ostrich jerky, if you are adventurous :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    LOL, shows what I know! Well, at least maybe getting pistachios out of the shell will help to not eat too many too fast. And may count as a workout? Just kidding :tongue:
    :laugh:

Pistachios are my FAVORITE nut, btw. Nuts are good for other things and I eat some every day. It's just a pet peeve of mine that people constantly say "nuts are a good/great source of protein!" I found out the hard way that they aren't. My nutritionist had me eat less nuts and eat more eggs because my protein levels were low even though MFP said I was consuming gobs of protein. But a lot of it was from incomplete protein, not high quality proteins. Sigh.
  • mattytee
    mattytee Posts: 15
    Pistachios are my FAVORITE nut, btw. Nuts are good for other things and I eat some every day. It's just a pet peeve of mine that people constantly say "nuts are a good/great source of protein!" I found out the hard way that they aren't. My nutritionist had me eat less nuts and eat more eggs because my protein levels were low even though MFP said I was consuming gobs of protein. But a lot of it was from incomplete protein, not high quality proteins. Sigh.

Yeah, i found this out too, so I try to get egg whites into my diet a lot and less of the nuts(Which is hard because they are awesome lol)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions! :)
  • yoouulie
    yoouulie Posts: 2
    MRM Protein is my favorite. It only has 87 calories. Created a few smoothie recipes. Here's an example:

Orange Berry Smoothie

1 Cup Orange Juice

1 Scoop MRM Protein

2 Tbsp Frozen Rasberry

1 Tsp Sweetner (of your choice

3-4 Large Ice Cudes

142 Calories
  • I've just posted a recipe for protein pancakes on my blog: http://code3response.blogspot.com/

My husband, who doesn't typically like pancakes, gave these his stamp of approval! (: They are soooo simple to make, and each pancake has only 64 calories and 6.4g of protein! You could give it an extra protein boost by adding protein powder to the recipe.
  • lizs4286
    lizs4286 Posts: 3
    edamame & quinoa (highest protein grain) are good options. I like the muscle milk light products as well
This discussion has been closed.