What should I do?

Options
My college is holding a "Spring Thaw 5k Race" on April 19th. I would really like to run this, but here is my perdicament.

The race is sponsored by the college of physical training, and I am probably right to assume that there will be a lot of very fit people taking part in this race. I am confident that I will be able to finish the race, but I am very unconfident in my speed. It would be so very embarrassing to end up last by like 10 minutes!

So I guess what I am saying is this: Should I just enter the race and cross my fingers or should I wait until I can run faster to even enter a race? What would you do?

Replies

• His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    My college is holding a "Spring Thaw 5k Race" on April 19th. I would really like to run this, but here is my perdicament.

The race is sponsored by the college of physical training, and I am probably right to assume that there will be a lot of very fit people taking part in this race. I am confident that I will be able to finish the race, but I am very unconfident in my speed. It would be so very embarrassing to end up last by like 10 minutes!

So I guess what I am saying is this: Should I just enter the race and cross my fingers or should I wait until I can run faster to even enter a race? What would you do?
  • cpmac
    cpmac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say do the race! Be proud of the fact that you can run a 5k! There will probably be lots of fit people there...and lots of people who are not so fit. Keep in mind fit does not always mean fast.

You probably won't be last and if you are, does it matter? This race is for you, not for everyone else to judge you by. Consider this a test run--go out and do it, enjoy it and see how you feel. Start running in the coming weeks and sign up for another one in 6-8 weeks. You'll be able to see how much you've improved and feel good about yourself.

Signing up for races of different distances can be a great goal and motivator. Nothing gets you out the door faster for a run than fearing you won't do your best. Just know that your best is not the same as everyone elses best and that's ok. :):)
  • schoencn
    schoencn Posts: 9
    Options
    YES do the race! don't be embarrassed! I'm sure a lot of people aren't runners or aren't in shape.
    maybe find a friend to run it with you if you're really too worried.
  • ms213804
    ms213804 Posts: 5
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. You are entering the race to do something good for yourself. If your gut is telling you to run it, you should run! Who cares if you finish last anyway?! Getting through it is half the battle anyway and you would be proving that you have the motivation and drive to get to the finish line. Plus, someone has to finish last. :tongue:
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    Options
    GO FOR IT :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Like the nike add says. "Just do it!" :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I always try to picture how I would feel afterwards if I did or if I didn't.

IF I could finish a 5K - -even if I was waayyy last - - I would be proud of myself and have done something to improve my health.

IF I didn't run the race, I would probably wish I had!

Go for it! :glasses:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Do it! Ever go to a gym and shy away from the free-weights because you don't want to be the only female surrounded by men? Did you ever regret it later because you didn't optimize your workout?

Do the race. Who cares if you're the only female doing weights or the only runner. There's a comedy out called "Run Fat, Run" and it's about a man who is horribly unfit and attempts to run a 26.3 miles. Same thing!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I say do it. Even if you are last - somebody has to be. Go for it! I'm doing a 2 mile run the day before Mothers day - will probably have to walk a lot or most of it. Still doing it though - for me. It's a start and everyone needs to start out sometime!! So, I say do it and enjoy it. You may be pleasantly surprised - there may be a lot of people who finish after you!