Suggestions on how to up my calorie intake?

Options
I am having a hard time eating the 1200 calories set by MFP, much less the additional calories I am burning with exercise.

I eat all day long at work-usually a egg white and veggie scramble for breakfast and the fruit and nuts thought out the day. Lunch is usually a sandwich of low fat lunch eat or fish with lots of veggies. Dinner is usually fish, chicken, or turkey (I can't eat red meat -it causes my RA to go crazy), brown rice or whole wheat pasta and veggies.

I am having a hard time eating more calories-I am not a big fan of bread or potatoes, I don't like mayo or dressings on my salads, and I am just not hungry enough to eat larger portions. It seems like the only time I can hit the calorie goal is if I join my friends for a couple beers or I have pizza and sushi as a free day-not exactly the kind of calories that I am looking for.

I know it's not a good idea to eat so few calories, but I can't seem to get more in me without feeling overfill and uncomfortable.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• eswartz0728
    eswartz0728 Posts: 47
    Options
    I am having the same problem!!! I feel like I'm going to explode if I eat anymore food!! I am trying to snack more throughout the day. I have almonds (which I was surprised were so many calories) also I get those little individual blocks of cheese. I get the yogurt with strawberry's and granola It is 190 calories and not filling so that helps. I have been falling about 500 calories short of 1200 after all my exercise, some ppl are telling me that I can eat 1200 and do all the exercise I want while others tell me I have to equal out to 1200 after exercise. I hope you figure something out!! If you have any ideas for me let me now :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eat whole eggs instead of egg whites. Make sure any dairy is full fat or lowfat, NOT nonfat. Add some avocado to salads or sandwiches. Use some olive oil on your veggies. Add some peanut butter to your apples or bananas.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you are trying to lose weight, which suggests you are overweight. How did you get there? Do that, just in smaller doses.

If you need more specific guidance, full fat dairy, red meats, eggs, beans, nuts...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with pizza and sushi as long as it fits in your calorie goal and macros. I think people sometimes get too hung up on eating only "healthy foods." Eat the foods you love but in smaller portions and with healthier choices. Like pizza? Okay, make a homemade pizza covered in veggies and lean meats. Sushi is delicious and okay to eat on a diet, but try to stay away from the fried stuff and cut out the sauces. Have a burger for dinner if it fits in your macros! Just put some veggies on the side instead of the fries.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit,
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, cookies, and pizza.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you are trying to lose weight, which suggests you are overweight. How did you get there? Do that, just in smaller doses.

If you need more specific guidance, full fat dairy, red meats, eggs, beans, nuts...

That's rather to the point. But, true. You remember how you were overeating before? Eat some of that now.

Any calories are okay as long as you don't go over your magic number. Don't get so hung up on "healthy" eating that you aren't getting the correct energy.
  • mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Use oil when cooking meats and veggies, avoid low fat or fat free options, snack on nuts (small portions, high calorie so you won't have to eat lots), add peanut butter with some fruit.
  • HarleighzMom
    HarleighzMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, my weight is mostly attributed a lot of wine and NO exercise. Before I had a doctor tell me what was actually wrong with me, I slipped into a very bad depression because I couldn't do anything without being in pain, so I gave up. Then I got depressed and disappointed about giving up, so I started drinking wine and partying with my neighbors-it was a horrible cycle.

I finally got diagnosed with RA and got put on the right track. I haven't had a flare up in 6 weeks and I am finally able to live again. My RA flare ups are triggered by red meat and egg yolks. I eat nuts and beans, but they are filling for me, so I can't seem to get up there.

Thank you!
  • HarleighzMom
    Options
    Definitely could stand some PB on my snacks-thank you!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    fruit salad
    toast
    meat
    bake d potatoe
  • HarleighzMom
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will try the full dairy-never been a fan, but I am willing to give it another go around. Same with skin on chicken and cooking with a little more oil, it's certainly worth a try...
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started. It is really hard to get into the habit of eating more often, but you kinda have to force yourself. I went from eating an apple or something for breakfast to eating a hairdboiled egg, 2 oz of chicken/turkey/ham, cheese (babybel or laughing cow), and greek yogurt with fruit. I always have 1/4 of a cup of unsalted nuts while at work, and at lunch I usually eat something complex like vegetarian grape leaves, or a salad with lentils and olives, etc. and for dinner I usually go all out and include a bunch, just to add up the calories. I like a snack after dinner like skinny popcorn, or Skinny Cow ice cream, or Annie's bunny grahams. And believe it or not I am usually still under calories.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    an d u need alot more than 1200 calorieds unles s u are 120 pounds
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    an d u need alot more than 1200 calorieds unles s u are 120 pounds

Don't listen to this.

Just remember how you got overweight, and what you liked to eat. Have a bit of that... a bit of cheese, a piece of chocolate, whatever you like. I agree that people are too hung up on eating well and end up starving themselves because they think they'll ruin their diet with one cookie. Your body needs fuel. And you want to have a lifestyle change... Will you always avoid sushi and pizza from now on? Indulge a little bit...

And make sure you weigh everything too...