How have YOUR eating habits changed?

Options
2»

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I never ate breakfast unless you count coffee only. I snacked on whatever was in the office that day and never paid attention to portions. I often skipped dinner but would eat all night long. I now eat breakfast and several small meals throughout the day and try to stop eating by 7:30 pm. Still have issues on occasion with the evening thing, but in general so so much improved. I only eat the perimeter of the grocery store and just don't keep chips, etc.. in the house. Life is better, definitely better!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Most of my changes came from how I viewed food. I would use food to fill some kind of emotional void. I still struggle with that when I get down or stressed, but it is much easier to manage. I don't need to fill up on a ton of junk and I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and less carbs. I eat far less than before but feel full because I was overeating most of the time and feeling horrible. When I eat out, I don't have to eat so much or have to have the entire bread basket or dessert. I make choices on what I want to eat and refused to give anything up. To me, that last part was the key. Every time I would start WW, I would give up the things I loved, making them more tempting. If I have what I like in moderation, the temptation to eat those foods in mass quantity and then give up and pack on the pounds again is too risky.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I've been maintaining since Sept and the funny thing is that the longer you do something the more likely it's going to become habit. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. When I know I'm going to go out to eat or have an alcoholic beverage, I budget that into my day...amp up my exercise or cut back on food during the day so I know I'm good for the indulgence. I haven't had a soft drink in over a year (don't miss it at all), I rarely eat out (If I can live through baseball season without the drive- thru so can you), and everything is appropriate portions. I also eats tons of fruit/veggies and steer clears of white foods.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    First and foremost, no more soda (even diet) for me either. I stopped drinking it on April 1st and haven't looked back and have noticed myself having a MUCH smaller appetite and way less cravings since doing so. That stuff is straight up evil in a can/bottle/cup.

Portions. I now allow myself a portion or half portion of each item at dinner instead of just splitting what I cooked in half for my spouse and I. I think in terms of a snack having a protein and a carb so that I feel full longer. I eat tons of carrots now and I hated carrots before.

If I go over on my calories? I make sure to exercise a bit before bed to make up the calories but that rarely happens since I'm already exercising so my net calories is a pretty big marker to fill.

Today I was so proud of myself that when my husband wanted to go to Wendy's for lunch I opted to get a grilled chicken salad and a small chili. I only ate 1/3 of the chili and 1/5 of the dressing for my salad. I ate slowly and stopped when I was full instead of just finishing off what I ordered so I wouldn't have wasted money. Nothing else on the menu even looked appetizing any longer!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I now only put a portion or two of crackers or chips into the bowl instead of just filling the bowl up. I really look at the whole nutrition label now and not just the calories and fat. I want to make sure it has a good amount of protein or fiber and low sodium per serving. When I go out to restaurants I try and choose a healthy option. If possible I'll look online to see the nutrition facts before I go. Those so called salads at some places pack a 1000 calories and a ton of sodium and getting it without the dressing only knocks off around 200-300 calories. I like to get those sliders on occasion and just eat one with half the fries. I eat a lot more vegetable and fruits now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!