Advice for half-marathon trainee?

Options
Hi All,

I have been using MFP since the first of the year, with good results. But as of late, I'm not sure than I am training optimally for my upcoming half-marathon. I seem to be tired and hungry all the time, but I still wind up averaging 50 to 60 miles per week along with daily weight lifting. I have a steady diet of eggs, oatmeal, chicken, yogurt, and tons of fruits and veggies (along with whey protein for post workout). My question is, how many calories am I actually netting each day? My food totals around 2500 per day, and my running burns around 1200. I don't know how my BMR effects my calorie balance, and I fear that I might be putting my body into starvation mode. I am 19 years old, 6 feet, 3 inches tall, and weigh 175 pounds, and around 9 percent body fat. I am happy with maintaining this weight. I appreciate any advice from fellow endurance trainers or nutrition experts. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• shiningnebula
    Options
    My first thought is that you're not resting or eating enough. It might be best to let yourself have a proper rest day at least once a week particularly if you're weight training too. 60 miles is a lot - my ultra marathon running husband doesn't train to that extent. Perhaps you could try 4 week cycles - ramp up the mileage over 3 weeks then have a taper week, repeat. Gives you practice for tapering before your half marathon too. Good luck!