Running everyday?

Options
I've decided to change up my exercise regime as my gym is quite far so I am always unmotivated to go!

I was thinking of going running every night for 30-40 minutes, at my weight - 65kg and height 5'9 I'm guessing this would burn around 250-300 calories?

Along with eating healthy do you think this is a substantial amount for me to lose weight?

I would like to get down to 60kg, but need to "lose weight" AND tone up, so will do some strength exercise too but not everyday as I won't have enough time :(

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You need to switch it up, and take rest days. Run 3 days a week and do longer runs, lift weights 2 days a week, and then take 2 days of rest.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you would need to hit it pretty hard in those 30 minutes. I would agree with the other post, you should change things up and add strength training in between is a great idea. If you run each day you would easily get bored and your body would get use to it and you may hit a plateau on the weight lose. Good luck...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hell yeah, switch it up, i do something different 7 days a week,, there is so much out there to to now!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It takes quite a while to teach your body to run everyday. If you are new runner, it's a recipe for injuries.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of going running every night for 30-40 minutes, at my weight - 65kg and height 5'9 I'm guessing this would burn around 250-300 calories?

Along with eating healthy do you think this is a substantial amount for me to lose weight?

Losing weight is all about a calorie deficit. Let's gloss over the benefits of running for now and save that for another subject. If your body needs say 1500 calories a day (hypothetical number) then burning an additional 300 running would mean you need to eat 1800 calories to stay the same weight. With the addition of the cardio you can eat your 1500 and still lose weight. If you do this running and eat more than 1800 calories then you would gain weight.

redhead is correct. You probably need to take a couple days of rest each week to let your body fully recover from the exercise and the addition of strength training would be good to do. This would work better for you since you would only need to go to the gym 2-3 days a week for the strength training and then the other days you could do your running from home and not even need to travel anywhere.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would say 126Ibs is rather low for someone of 5'9.
    I am around the same height, a smallish build, and looked pretty bony at that weight.
    I run for 30-40 minutes a few times a week, and divide the rest of the week between strength training, long bike rides, walking and the elliptical.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    you don't need rest from 30min of cardio a day..... (exception being if you're new, might take a few weeks to adapt to new stress) Any mailman or heavy labourer would laugh at you for saying that when they do far more than that for 8 hours a day every day. And consistently switching everything up all the time is about the worst way to train. It's fine as a way of doing something to kill time and maintain. but if your goal is change, you need to push yourself, and that means actually training... Where the focus is on consistency and making improvements in the same thing constantly.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rippetoe_throws_down&cr=
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It takes quite a while to teach your body to run everyday. If you are new runner, it's a recipe for injuries.

AGREED!