I am now a runner

Options
mccallp319
mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
I never though I would say that I am a runner. I have always hated running. Even in high school, when I was a decent athlete, I hated running. I started the couch to 5k program 6 weeks ago, along with some serious strength training, because I am running a tough mudder in October. I found the first week to be pretty easy, but the weeks following were much more difficult. My calves tightened up and were extremely sore every time I ran, but I never stopped. Eventually the soreness went away and by week five, I was running like a champ. I finished the 20 minute run at the end of week 5 two days ago and felt like I could go longer. So today, instead of moving on to week six, I just decided to see if I could run 3.1 miles (5k) without stopping, and I did. I ran 3.1 miles in 35 minutes. It felt amazing. That was the longest I have ever ran in my entire life. I still have over 5 months to train for tough mudder, and I feel like it will be a walk in the park now. I have lost 65 lbs, I have quit smoking, and I have trained my body to run over 3 miles in 6 weeks, I can do anything.

Replies

• scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That's kewl ! Very kewl !
  • mccallp319
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations! You look great! I like your profile pic...it looks like your looking at your phone into the mirror at your thinner self! Way cool! Great job man!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!! Doesn't it feel good!!! YIPPEE!
  • mccallp319
    Options
    @ang, LOL, I never noticed that before.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeppers ...It's offical...YOU ARE AN AMAZING RUNNER !!
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    WTG =). You look fantastic!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Welcome to the "never thought I'd be a runner" club! :)
  • bobmail
    bobmail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
    Can I ask you what kind of shoes you use to run in?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Good for you for saying it "out loud"! Keep it up!
  • lucascmom
    lucascmom Posts: 14
    Options
    Good for you on the quitting smoking AND the running!! July 4th it will be my one year anniversary since I quit :)

Even though I can run a 5k, I cant run it that fast. It is my goal though!
  • janel867
    janel867 Posts: 53
    Options
    :bigsmile:

So awesome :) Congrats on all your success!!!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Congrats - How did you do it?

I DESPISE running with a passion, but some days I feel the need to burn off energy and I think maybe i should take up running. Then I laugh at myself because I have NEVER run unless forced... but I think it would be a good cardio. The dr's tell me to work on it SLOWLY (because I have a pain management disorder) but I'm starting to think slowly I should start running... but seriously have no idea if I should just go out there and run or do a program or what...

I was always a decent athlete and still never ran... ha! We would run the mile every week in high school? Yeah - This chick walked it. EVERY WEEK. I'm thinking I'm ready for a change...
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I answered my own question if I read thoroughly - couch to 5k...

May have to see if I can do it!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Yay! 3.1 in 35 minutes is awesome! I finished c25k a few weeks ago. I have been doing 30 minute runs. I'm trying to increase my pace at this point.
  • mccallp319
    Options
    @bobmail, Nothing special, just a pair of reebok realflex's.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Isn't it an amazing feeling?? Welcome to the club! I LOVE it here. :flowerforyou:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Every PE class in America should use C25K. It's a much better way to learn to run. Fewer people would end up hating it. I was one of them...hated side stitches. Never had the first one using C25K

CONGRATS!!!
  • mccallp319
    Options
    @michelle, I would definitely recommend C25k. It's a great program for beginners.

Thanks everyone!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!