I.. just.. can't.. run.. :(

Options
13»

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I get injured when I walk lol. No joke. The correct form for the two activities are very different. Running isn't just walking with a bounce. Definitely check out videos on proper form... and go slower. When you start running, it should feel more like a shuffle. You want your legs to tire out before your lungs.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I could never run before. But after three months of Zumba, I was finally able to get my cardio health up to the level that it needed to be for me to start running. I can now do 5 minutes or 10 without stopping. This is something I could never do before. My advice is to do other cardio, work up to running.
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    This is great advice. I couldn't have written it any better, hence the quote. Give your body some time to adjust to running. A few years ago I did "get running" an app similar to C25K. The first few weeks were tough, my body was sore, my feet hurt. I did watch a few videos on proper form. You will find your pace and your own form. One tip that helped me with shin splints is to be careful your strides are not too long, sometimes that can heighten the pain in your shins. Girl you can totally be the runner your were or the runner you want to be keep trying, and never give up and you will be out there running and looking fab doing it! Have a wonderful Saturday!
    ~Corina

Don’t fall into the trap of starting at a too high intensity. Paradoxically, the slower you go when you begin, the faster you will become in the end! “Base building” is by far the most essential part of your running. This will result in easy running in the future. Low intensity running for beginners is an excellent aid in avoiding overtraining. If, at the end of your workout, you would tell yourself: ’I could’ve gone a bit longer’, it’s a clear indication that you’ve been running at the right pace

Warming up is an excellent way to send your body a clear message that you’re about to become physically active. This way, your heart and legs could adjust properly. This’s how the ideal running warm up works: Start in a brisk walk followed by easy running for couple of minutes or so.

When you finish your running, take a few of minutes to cool down by running very slowly and walking in the last minutes of your workout. Finish with a stretch.

Maintaining warm-ups and cool downs greatly helps in reducing muscle pains which, in turn, improves your overall recovery process.

Cross training refers to other wonderful exercises that you could easily add to your running routine. They include swimming, biking, hiking, Pilates…etc. The beauty of cross training is that it helps increasing your fitness level while giving your running-muscles a break
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the elliptical for a while? It is low impact and mimics a running movement, especially the ones with the movable handles. Maybe that would help until you can really run again.

Sorry, I missed that this was already suggested, but I still think it would be helpful.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do the couch to 5K app to try to build stamina to run. I hope one day to do more but for now I will do this as a workout and I burn major cals. :wink:
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else has said.
    It's all there.
    Plus.
    Over striding can be a major problem.
    Also running on too hard a surface.