Lifting: Heavy lifting at the gym or hand weight at home??

Hello everyone. I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I need some input on which is more efficient. I keep hearing that women should lift heavy weights. Which is more efficient? Heavy lifting at the gym versus using variety of hand held weights at home for strength training? Is it possible to get a good strength training at home using 5, 6, 8, 10, 15 pounds weight?

I have been told that you do not really need to do heavy lifting and that hand held weights are just as efficient in building muscle. I also heard that heavy lifting can be dangerous for ones joints.

Thanks for any your feedback.

Replies

• mbrowens
    mbrowens Posts: 11
    This is a really good question... when dealing with fat loss studies have proven that it doesn't matter how heavy you lift as long as you are getting your heart rate up and stressing your body. However, if you're trying to bulk up then lifting heavy is very important.

You might find this helpful: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1662
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    I did P90x and it was hand weights varying weight and saw big results just make sure your doing proper form heavy weight should cause you to feel the burn on the last 3 reps and low weight you should do more than 12 each rep..also make sure your focusing on the form and throw in some interval cardio to keep your heart rate up.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    The single best thing you can do is a routine that you will stick with. That being said, lifting heavy has extraordinary benefits. You just aren't going to push your muscles with 10 lb weights. How much does your purse weigh? How much does a baby weigh? For serious muscle advantages you need to be lifting serious percentages of your body weight.

As to the joint issue that is almost entirely due to improper form. Correct lifting actually strengthens the muscles around the joints making them stronger.

The forums here are loaded with women finding great success from lifting heavy. The forums here are loaded with women finding great success from cardio. The forums here are loaded with women finding great success from body weight/home gym situations.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    IMO, it depends on personal preferences. You can achieve good results with both. I workout at home because I'm a SAMH of a 2 months old and it would be really inconvenient for me to go to the gym. But then, I have Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells that go up to 50lbs each and I have a threadmill.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Thanks you so much for all the wonderful responses. I appreciate it!!:flowerforyou:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Hi! I also think it is important to do what you enjoy. Personally I like working out with barbells at the gym and dumbbells at home. If i cant make it to the gym, im good at home. And they can both be effective and safe.The thing is that you'll want to keep increasing the weight no matter the route you choose. Aim for a weight you can do a few sets of 5-10 reps with. My DBs at home go to 30 lbs. right now I use 40-90 lb barbells but want to keep increasing. And good stuff to include in your routine incl squats, chest press, overhead press, dead lifts, rows. And you won't bulk up unless you're on a calorie surplus. :)
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Thank you NovemberJune:flowerforyou:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    I'm working out at home with dumbbells right now and am happy with the results. Your weights will be fine for a while but you should be aiming to increase the weight as you progress; if you can do more than 12 reps in a set with a weight it's probably too light for you. I have dumbbells up to 45 lbs and that will probably be ok for at least the summer, I think, with the program I'm using (may have to look into more equipment or a gym after that).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I lift at home and I love it. I am not a fan of gyms. I do body beast and I have a set of selecttechs that works great.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I suggest you read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will explain the reasoning behind lifting, address your safety concerns, and answer questions about routine and equipment.

To answer some of your questions: Barbell work is more efficient than the equipment you currently own, the weights you have are too light to be effective for compound work, and heavy lifting is no more dangerous in your joints than light lifting or life in general
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    To answer some of your questions: Barbell work is more efficient than the equipment you currently own, the weights you have are too light to be effective for compound work, and heavy lifting is no more dangerous in your joints than light lifting or life in general

More efficient, no. Easier, yes.

Those dumbbells she has are plenty to add load to BW exercises and help with progressions.

If she wants to strength train though, she has to strength train. As in always move on to a harder exercise by the time you can do 8 reps or hold something 20 seconds.