I AM GAINING WEIGHT! I don't know why...

Options
okay first things first, this is a serious post and I'm going crazy with all this gaining because I worked my butt off to lose 18lbs so far and now I'm just gaining it all back.

Here's some background on me:

I'm 5'3 21yrs and carry most of my weight in my stomach and chest I currently weigh 154lbs as of ...3 days ago ( I know thats to soon to be checking but it's been going up since last week)

+I'm eating between 1,200-1,500 calories a day but after I work out sometimes don't eat it all back

+ the only thing I've been doing different recently is some kettlebell workouts at home and maybe about 15-20min weight lifting at the gym

+I've been drinking more water

+I do about 400 or more calories in cardio ( but have always done this)

anyway, my question is Do you think my weight gain is because of water and my small percent of weightlifting? I'd appreciate any input, but please no negativity !

Replies

• nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention if you just started weight training, or it could be TOMs. How much are you eating on average?
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's water from lifting weights. Whenever you start a new workout routine it's likely to gain some water weight initially. Also, if you're increasing your workout load you might want to take a second look at your calories, you may not be eating enough (Sorry didn't look at your diary)
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I recently have had same issue. My gain started when I started lifting more. My measurements don't o up, just scale. So I knew I wasn't gaining fat.
    What's your calorie intake?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained? You say you're gaining it all back, which suggests more than water weight. But if that was just a spot of hyperbole, and you're really only showing a few pounds up, then yes. Water. You changed your exercise routine, and sore muscles retain water for repair.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Starting a weight training regimen, escpecially with heavy weights means that you have torn your muscles on a microscopic level. Your body needs protein, water, and glucose to repair the tears in a timely manner, and make the muscle stronger so that it doesn't tear again.

You are only gaining weight in that you weigh more due to water retention. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon, so drink a large glass of water and you'll INSTANTLY weigh 1 pound heavier. Changes in sodium intake (Note: not HIGHER sodium intake, just a change in it) will cause water retention, since water and sodium need to be in balance in your body, eat more salt and your body will retain more water to maintain the ratio.

Don't fear lifting weights or gaining weight, these women all gained like 20 pounds and look WAY better than their skinny weight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters
  • CedarSun
    CedarSun Posts: 1
    Options
    First you gain weight ( muscle). Then you will neither lose nor gain because you will gain muscle and lose fat at the same rate. THEN you will lose. Give it a couple months. You will notice your clothes fit better BEFORE you lose weight.
  • Krobelus
    Krobelus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys but what is TOM? Iv been reading that here and i honestly dont know what it is?... And as for the topic i think its because of the water and even if you eat 1200-1500 cal. Watch out for sodium intake .. Too much sodium can cause water retention specially you mentioned you are taking in alot of water... when i started dieting..i tried to avoid taking too much sodium (salty foods)..
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys but what is TOM? Iv been reading that here and i honestly dont know what it is?... And as for the topic i think its because of the water and even if you eat 1200-1500 cal. Watch out for sodium intake .. Too much sodium can cause water retention specially you mentioned you are taking in alot of water... when i started dieting..i tried to avoid taking too much sodium (salty foods)..
    TOM is time of the month
    I gain 8-10# during TOM, like clockwork
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Besides water consumption and your workout routine, what else changed?

Namely - are you taking any water-retaining supplements (like creatine)?