Zumba

Options
mostein
mostein Posts: 200 Member
Does anyone know how many calories Zumba burns? I have read between 600-900 calories per hour, is that right?

Replies

• karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have heard 1000 an hour . I just ordered some dvds so I need to know this too!!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've heard 500-800, but the only way to now exactly is to use a heart rate monitor while doing it. I'm going to a zumba and toning class tomorrow night, I'm really hoping that my HRM comes in the mail today or tomorrow so I can use it. I logged it on here as aerobic dance and it gave me about 500 calories for 50 minutes of it when I did a DVD.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a class and it is really good but I am skeptical that it burns so many calories. Sounds too goo to be true!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burn about 600 per class (hour). Sometimes a bit more or less.
  • wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It depends on the activity level. Low, Moderate, heavy. If you are doing the plyo part of it I'd say it's in the heavy realm. This is the spring steps and really putting your all into it. I think you can look up aerobic dancing?
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It depends on the instructor's intensity...and of course everybody burns differently. Best way to know is to get an HRM.... I love mine! There is a big difference in what I really burn, and what the database and public opinion say I burned...
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    Options
    I did the cardio party dvd for the first time today and I only burned 328 in 50 minutes. I've heard as you learn the movesand get used to it the more calories you burn.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    all the amounts sound good to me...XCITED to get my dvds soon!
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burn about 600 per class (hour). Sometimes a bit more or less.

Wow thats really good, sounds like a good instructor, I have two different instructors that I take it from, one I burn about 300-325 and the other 450-500, I prefer the latter, the other one does slower paced songs. So I think the answer to this is it depends on the instructor and also how hard you work. OH and this is based on my HRM too thats y I quoted lol
  • wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I burn more "learning" the moves. Just because it takes so much energy to get myself into the right form. I'd think that once you learn them better, if you tighten your tummy and concentrate on form, THEN it's probably more calories burned.