cheat night always seems to turn into awful weekend

Options
I keep myself going sometimes by telling myself to wait for my cheat meal, seems to backfire into a near binge weekend, I usually gain back half of what I've lost through the week by the end of it. I'd be down 50 or 60 by now if it wasn't for this. Does anyone else have problems with this? If so, how do you combat it?

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I keep myself going sometimes by telling myself to wait for my cheat meal, seems to backfire into a near binge weekend, I usually gain back half of what I've lost through the week by the end of it. I'd be down 50 or 60 by now if it wasn't for this. Does anyone else have problems with this? If so, how do you combat it?

I think at one time or another everyone goes through it. Some more than others. I have improved a lot the past 60 days. I used to eat McDonalds at least 2 days a week. I would eat pizza a few days a week too. I loved to drink coca cola. I have been fast food free and soda free for over 60 days now besides a breakfast I had at McDonalds.

I do not really crave it anymore. After going 2 months without it and feeling so much better my body has been craving healthy food. I had a piece of pizza from Little Casesars that I was craving. I took a few bites and was disappointed in the taste. It was not as good as I remembered it being.

What worked for me at first was whenever I had a craving for a greasy burger and fries or cookies, pop, and chips I would remind myself of how hard I have been working to get to where I am. I say to myself "Is that burger and fries really worth a workout that I just did going to waste?" I have been doing P90X with some intense workouts and the burger and fries would just set me back another day. I used to think that just because I exercise that I can eat whatever I want. I was so wrong and now years later my body changed. It took me years to get my body out of shape and I know it will take awhile to get it back to where I want it. I think of each binge as a setback and an extra workout needed to get back on track.

I have Day 1, Day 27, and Day 57 photos. I look at them when I do have a craving. I am on day 68 now and I believe that I will never go back to my old eating habits. The healthy food along with my workouts have being a habit instead of a hassle.

You can do this. It is a mind over matter. A lot of times cravings will go away after 5 or 10 minutes. Instead of eating it do a quick 10 minute workout. Have a glass of water and then get your mind off that craving. It just might work.

Good luck in your journey to a healthier and new you. It just takes time.
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options

I think at one time or another everyone goes through it. Some more than others. I have improved a lot the past 60 days. I used to eat McDonalds at least 2 days a week. I would eat pizza a few days a week too. I loved to drink coca cola. I have been fast food free and soda free for over 60 days now besides a breakfast I had at McDonalds.

I do not really crave it anymore. After going 2 months without it and feeling so much better my body has been craving healthy food. I had a piece of pizza from Little Casesars that I was craving. I took a few bites and was disappointed in the taste. It was not as good as I remembered it being.

What worked for me at first was whenever I had a craving for a greasy burger and fries or cookies, pop, and chips I would remind myself of how hard I have been working to get to where I am. I say to myself "Is that burger and fries really worth a workout that I just did going to waste?" I have been doing P90X with some intense workouts and the burger and fries would just set me back another day. I used to think that just because I exercise that I can eat whatever I want. I was so wrong and now years later my body changed. It took me years to get my body out of shape and I know it will take awhile to get it back to where I want it. I think of each binge as a setback and an extra workout needed to get back on track.

I have Day 1, Day 27, and Day 57 photos. I look at them when I do have a craving. I am on day 68 now and I believe that I will never go back to my old eating habits. The healthy food along with my workouts have being a habit instead of a hassle.

You can do this. It is a mind over matter. A lot of times cravings will go away after 5 or 10 minutes. Instead of eating it do a quick 10 minute workout. Have a glass of water and then get your mind off that craving. It just might work.

Good luck in your journey to a healthier and new you. It just takes time.

Such a brilliant, and detailed reply!!! well done to you man, talk about being motivated! :-)
  • kaylabrose
    Options
    Sadly I'm the exact same as the OP, but it's something I'm working on! sugar and fatty carbs definitely are addicting.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have a MAJOR problem with this. I started making my "cheat meal" (my fiancé and I call it our date meal instead) on Fri nights instead of lunch on Sat or Sun. I'm able to keep my routine of eating right during the day at work, do my evening workout, then we have only enough time to go have dinner, without setting ourselves up for an entire binge day (I'm really bad about "Well I've already had this, may as well EAT ALL THE FOOD"). That's what ended up happening when we moved date meal to Sat or Sun; excuse to binge because our weekends don't have routine, which is what we both need at this stage in our lifestyle change :drinker:
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

Yes sadly I have had the same problem. Its not until I have cut chocolate and biscuits out completely that I have noticed I have stopped craving them. Even if I eat them in moderation it leads to really bad cravings to binge on them. I honestly think I have to do all or nothing unfortunately. It's sad but I think it's true in my case. Moderation is not my friend. Hopefully in the future I might be able to just do the having a little bit of what I fancy thing but for now I have to stay away from foods that make me binge as it's hindered my fat loss a lot I think.
  • kaylabrose
    Options

Yes sadly I have had the same problem. Its not until I have cut chocolate and biscuits out completely that I have noticed I have stopped craving them. Even if I eat them in moderation it leads to really bad cravings to binge on them. I honestly think I have to do all or nothing unfortunately. It's sad but I think it's true in my case. Moderation is not my friend. Hopefully in the future I might be able to just do the having a little bit of what I fancy thing but for now I have to stay away from foods that make me binge as it's hindered my fat loss a lot I think.

How does your partner (if you have one of course) deal with this? mine is constantly asking me ''why I'm on a silly diet anyway'' (even though I'm NOT losing weight or trying to) ''why I can't have a piece of chocolate/pizza'' I actually feel like it's affecting our relationship, as silly as that sounds. but for MY sanity and for MY wellbeing I just can't do moderation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    three ways to deal with this

1. keep doing what you're doing. I mean, it's working. 50 is better but 30 is progress. eventually you'll be at your goal. it's not a race
    2. space your cheat meals further and further out. instead of weekly, it's biweekly, then once per month, then every six weeks.
    3. instead of waiting for a big cheat meal allow yourself some of your faves on a regular basis. less likely to binge if you know you can have the occasional cookie.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Are you recording your binges? I find that if I force myself to record every single day good or bad, that it will keep me from a long term binge...I'll see "OMG, I ate 800 calories over my daily", I better pay attention to tomorrow.

I use to binge and not record at the same time, that ALWAYS ended up in multiple poor eating days.
  • inksyrup
    inksyrup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, I cannot cut out my cheat day. I need it, otherwise I go insane.
    However, I have lost, and continued to lose, even with big cheats and slip-ups that turn into insane binges.

What has helped me is planning in advance. Sometime during the week (typically a Tuesday or Wednesday), I'll write out the things I want on my cheat day--with some moderation of course--and log it into my diary. I still get to eat what I want to (this Sunday is Starbucks, Baskin Robbins, and Panera), but I'm still well within my calorie and macro goals. If I over-step it, I exercise the same day.

It certainly won't help everyone, but I definitely feel like logging everything ahead of time keeps me on track and in control.
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options

A picture of Homer Simpson on the fridge and cabinet doors may help.
  • peaceissues
    peaceissues Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try not to cheat on my diet because if i do it once i'll find it easy to cheat more often.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This was me tonight, but I was in a really foul mood. :/
  • kurtgordon
    kurtgordon Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same issue.
    I really DO want to lose the weight, but don't have a backup plan to put into action when my weight loss plan is falling apart.
    When I start a binge it is usually when I am tired, angry, lonely, hungry, or feel entitled.
    These feelings WILL come, we need to prepare for them and combat them at the first sign of weakness!!

Write down each of these feelings and also write down your plan to defeat them!
    If there are other moments you have noticed, add them to the list too.
    These weak links are keeping us from reaching our goals!!
    Know your weaknesses and put the plan into action when they rear their ugly head!!
    We can do it!!
  • fightingthefood
    Options
    I started using MFP on 4/16/2013 and was doing GREAT. Was logging everything I put in my mouth and had dropped 29lbs. in 3 weeks and also had been off of my daily 4 shots of insulin. Was feeling wonderful with increased energy and going strong. You would think that just not having to stick myself four times a day with a needle would be motivation enough to keep me on the straight and narrow but I wasn't happy just falling off the wagon I had to do a swan dive. It all started on a Saturday morning. Got up and logged a good breakfast and then the phone rang. It was my wifes brother who she hadn't seen in 5-6 years and he was coming thru town on his way back to Key West. He only had time to stop for lunch but wanted to meet at a Hardees for some lunch and to see her and two of our kids he had not met. Well we got to the Hardees and I convinced myself (wasn't to hard to do) that a thickburger meal would be okay, after all I had done so well so far. I bit into the burger and all I could taste was salt. That should of been enough to make me put it down but I didn't have the sense to stop. After her brother got back on the highway my wifes sister said why don't the four kids come spend the night at my house. I thought man that sounds good as my wife and I had not been out alone in six months. So off to the movies we go. Before I knew it I had set there and finished off half of a large popcorn. So not feeling all that good about myself we went home and I woke up in the morning feeling like a camel had taken a crap in my mouth. Well first thing Sunday morning my wife who at 32 and four kids later weighs the same 95 lbs that she did when she was 16 says lets go to Golden Corral for breakfast since the kids won't be back till about one o'clock. So like the idiot that I am off I go down yet another slippery slope. Needless to say by the time I threw the breaks on that run away train I had put back on 5lbs. and my self esteem would have had to climb up to see out of a thimble. So I have decided that a cheat day is out of the question for me. Thankfully I am back on track and have been able to stop the insulin once again and have planned out every meal for the weekend. Hopefully this works as I don't want to go thru that again. Good luck on your journey and if I can be of any help feel free to add me.
  • Bettybop123
    Options
    You are not alone I too always fall by the wayside weekends can be really hard ,but i have taken to knitting to keep the old hand busy anything to stop me going to the kitchen for a little snack , good luck dont give up you can beat this!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time, too, with returning to restaurant eating. Yesterday, I ordered pizza, but I made a thoughtful determined decision to listen and feel for when I was full. I thought, man, I'm going to eat a whole pizza! But I had three pieces and I specifically ordered stuffed crust so that I would not eat the crust.

I am doing better. It's the whole mind over matter thing. I don't make it off limits, because, as the bad girl, I will want what I can't have.

I have a moderate portion, knowing that I can always, at a later time, have something else if I desire it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The guilt from cheating always will eat at you, but think how your spouse feels!!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

How does your partner (if you have one of course) deal with this? mine is constantly asking me ''why I'm on a silly diet anyway'' (even though I'm NOT losing weight or trying to) ''why I can't have a piece of chocolate/pizza'' I actually feel like it's affecting our relationship, as silly as that sounds. but for MY sanity and for MY wellbeing I just can't do moderation.

Well i'll be honest, it is a LOT harder sticking to my plan when he is around. He's away for a few months at the moment so it's easier for me to focus. He has mentioned the word 'obsessive' before now though with regards to my calorie counting. Meh is what I say lol.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't have any 'cheat' meals... I don't see the point. I spent all my life stuffing my face and who did it cheat? Myself. I feel like we need to learn to live around food and

If you end up going out for dinner once in a while and decide to have dessert, awesome. I just think we need to relax around food

instead of hanging out for these sorts of things.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

this seems to be a problem with people who deny themselves everything during the week and then go nuts at the weekend turning it from 'cheat day' into 'horrific car crash weekend'
    Look at your calories each day and figure out what you can eat.... try and reward yourself with something small during the week to keep yourself satisfied so that you're not gonna go nuts at the weekend.
    Are you exercising? If you are surely you have it in your calorie allowance to have a beer or a sweet treat or whatever it is you like on the odd day throughout the week?
    I don't understand the whole starvation and total denial thing ... it doesn't work and leads to what you have described at the weekend...
    Eat moderately all week (within your allowance) and you're less likely to slip up , especially if you're exercising as well which will allow you to eat a little extra