To those of You Who have lost over 30lbs

Can you share with me what you did what you ate type of exercises you did to achieve your loss? Also how long did it take?

Replies

• fretless1965
    fretless1965 Posts: 26 Member
    I lost my first 30 pounds in about six months.

I ate whatever I wanted, but limited my portion sizes.

I put my data into the MFP app and set my weight loss at 1 pound per week. I was very careful to record my food accurately and stay under my calorie limit.

I walked at least two miles (sometimes up to five miles) five days a week.

After that first thirty I did a round of P90X and then switched to running plus circuit training three days a week.

I've lost a total of 53 pounds over (almost) two years.

For the record, I'm a 47 year old male.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Honestly, I didn't start working out until well after I lost a chunk of weight (about 50 lbs)
    I became vegan and watched my portions. I ate three times a day.

Anyways, when I started working out I did 30-40 mins of cardio usually consisting of stairmaster.
    I'm do strength training that work on all major muscles in my body. Arms/Legs alternating and abs everyday.
    Doing that 6 times a week and I lost the rest of my unwanted weight.

Good luck!
  • monica2410
    monica2410 Posts: 124 Member
    I'm a work in progress, but here's what I've been doing:
    Set my goals to 2lbs a week as I have a lot to lose.
    Eat pretty much the same thing every day as it's easier for me that way. I eat what I want and when i want as long as it meets my calorie goal.
    Log what I eat as accurately and honestly as possible.
    Don't eat all my exercise calories back unless I am hungry.
    Try to do a full-body, free-weights program 3 times a week, but it averages out to 1-2 times.
    Try getting in 1-2 spinning classes a week.
    Take 30 minute walks with my co-workers 2-3 times a week during our lunch break.
    Joined a challenge for accountability.
    Stopped drinking alcohol regularly, as in a glass or two of wine a night, but that was more for emotional reasons.
    Have been a member a long time but only got serious at the end of January.
    Good luck:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    I lost about 30 lbs in about 6 months. The next 13 has taken me five months :huh:
    Don't be in a rush and dont worry if you hit a plateau.
    I do 400 cals cardio 6 days a week and yoga on the other day. I eat 1700 cals inc my exercise cals. I have recently added strength training, but only about 20 mins.
    I have about 3 lbs to go to get to healthy BMI. I feel terrific. Just haven't got any clothes that fit! :sad:
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Frazzlenz
    Frazzlenz Posts: 32 Member
    I have lost 35 pounds over the last 9 months and most of that was in the first 6 months. I cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and limited sugar. I started out with bootcamp 3 days a week and then upped it to 4 days a week. Now as I have plateaued with 15-20 pounds to go I am adding in running twice a week. The exercise is good of course but for me it was all about cutting carbs and getting portions under control. Calorie intake was around 1800 but Im having to cut that back too now. . Getting weights this month and planning to start strength training a couple of times a week.
    Cut back on the booze too. Im a 43 year old female.
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    I lost 33lbs in 5 months with a combination of kettle bell workouts, fast pace walking, and healthy eating :)
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    I lost 35lbs in 7 months, portion control and calorie counting. Did a mixture of walking and JM 30DS. I've kept it off too but the last few pounds are always the hardest.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    I stuck to a 1000 calories a day diet.
    I ate something every 2 hours and drank a lot of water.
    2 pots of coffee a day, I like coffee
    I walked 2 miles twice a week and 5 miles a day on the weekend.
    It took 8 months and I lost 100 pounds.
  • AnalogX64
    AnalogX64 Posts: 2
    I lost 32 pounds following the JUDD Diet (Johnson Up Down Day)

On Down days very low calorie intake
    On Up Days normal calorie intake.

Took about 5-6 months.

Lost about 1.5-2 pounds a week.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    I lost 35lb. I ate about 1,350 calories every day. I walked like 3.8 - 4.0 MPH for 40 minutes M-F. That's all. I ate the same stuff, just smaller portions of it.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Counted calories, measured out / weighed portions, and moved more.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Took me about 3 months, walking, zumba, eating right & workout every single day with no cheat day. Took me another 4 month to lose the other 50lbs (80 in total) and that was basically pure running daily.... 10km a day as well as eating right.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I've lost 44 lbs. All I did was set a reasonable calorie goal (usually around 1450 plus exercise calories, although it changed as I went along), eat back most of my exercise calories, and use a food scale to weigh all of my food. I did not follow any specific diet.

For the last 10 lbs or so I changed my goals from getting skinny to looking good naked so I increased my protein goal to 1 gram per pound of LBM and I started lifting weights.

As for how long it took I generally lost a pound a week until the last 10, at which point I switched to half a pound a week. I stalled out awhile after 20 lbs (it turned out to be logging inaccuracy) so I took a break for about 3 months.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Essentially 60/120 mins cardio a day. That was early on, back then i used a step machine, ran a bit and walked. Now i have a dog so walk a lot and i do long distance running 2 days on and 1 day off. On my day off in throwing in 30DS workouts.

i haven't weighed in a while because i plateaued at 46 lbs lost. There's still a stone to go but the intensity of my work outs should be taking care of that.

3 stone ago i couldn't have managed the runs im doing now, that's been a slow build up :)

Diet wise, when i started, i just ate porridge in the morning, soup at lunch with bread and mostly home cooked meals for dinner. I never have cut out treats and occasional splurges. I'm still eating porridge in the morning and salads for lunch with healthy proteins and healthy home cooked dinners. But still definitely having treats!
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    I never exercised, outside of walking, when I initially lost my weight after my son. I initially lost 111 lbs, but ended up gaining some back so I could have a more healthy look.

Now I exercise 3 days a week, combos of cardio and my weight training which is picking up my now 5 year old 45 lb son and doing squats with him lol :laugh:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    I stuck to a 1000 calories a day diet.
    I ate something every 2 hours and drank a lot of water.
    2 pots of coffee a day, I like coffee
    I walked 2 miles twice a week and 5 miles a day on the weekend.
    It took 8 months and I lost 100 pounds.

Wow! I am 62 and it is so hard. I have logged over 600 days. I tried to do 1000 calories but I have not been so sucessful. It has taken me over a year to lose 30 pounds. For the last 5 months I have done cardio 6 to 7 days a week. A few weeks ago I started the 30DS.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    I basically just followed what was in my calorie range on MFP and tried to get SOME kind of exercise in 4-5 times a week. It doesn't have to be some spectacular feat of athletic prowess, just get moving.. walking, riding a bike, etc.

Close to 70lbs later, I'm running 5k races with regularity, I've expanded my menu some and eat about whatever I want. I'm just cautious about the nutrients and impact on the rest of my day. 'Good food choices' is how some people put it.

Just remember, the weight didn't go on overnight, don't expect it to come off as such either.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Let me simplify this for you. I think you'll find each of us have had a slightly different approach. So what are the things we likely all had in common?

1) Using MFP to track calories. Knowledge is power.
    2) We all eat less than we burn
    3) We probably move more than we used to
    4) We all were patient and didn't expect it to happen overnight or try drastic things to lose weight

EVERYTHING else is just tweaking. What worked for me may or may not you. We all have different tastes, different likes and dislikes in food, exercise, etc. The #1 rule is find what works for YOU.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for you. Someone else's success story could be a complete bomb for another person. It sucks that there's no cookie cutter formula.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    I have lost 30.5lbs, I totally changed my eating habits. I had to they were horrible. I gave up drinking regular coke. That used to be the only thing I drank besides my 1 morning cup of coffee. I gave up smothering pancakes and baked potatoes in butter. I gave up cooking with butter and now use just olive oil or bare when I can like for veggies. If I really need butter for the recipe I don't make it.. I lost 12lbs the first month just by changing my diet. I now eat oatmeal most of the time for breakfast instead of a donut or something equally bad for me for breakfast. I also try to get some type of exercise every day. Even on my rest day I will go for a walk. I think the weight loss mainly came from the change in diet. The healthy foods are more filling. I don't crave another bowl of oatmeal like I would another donut. Healthy and filling foods satisfy your hunger a longer and you are less likely to want to snack, at least for me. I log my food to use as a guide, especially for sodium and to make sure I am getting enough protein.