Getting rid of water weight

Options
So the last few days of going to the gym that I cant seem to get rid of the water weight, I pretty much sweat it and at the end of the day when I drink water, I gain it back up. I was wonder if there anything that can help, teas, workouts, sauna etc etc. Thanks for any advice :smile:

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Simple, stop drinking water. :tongue:
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When you have water in your belly, you're going to weigh more. I suggest not weighing until morning before eating and drinking. But to really answer your question, add lemon to your water because it is a natural diuretic. Green tea is good too.
  • Adderly619
    Adderly619 Posts: 21
    Options
    Simple, stop drinking water. :tongue:
    If only that was possible, since I gave up energy drinks and soda, water became my favorite drink now xD
  • Adderly619
    Options
    When you have water in your belly, you're going to weigh more. I suggest not weighing until morning before eating and drinking. But to really answer your question, add lemon to your water because it is a natural diuretic. Green tea is good too.
    I drink Green Tea from time to time, so I will try adding lemon into my water, no sugar of course :laugh:
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Increase your water & potassium, & decrease your sodium. I've decreased mine to 1500 mg/day.
  • Adderly619
    Options
    Increase your water & potassium, & decrease your sodium. I've decreased mine to 1500 mg/day.
    Water is as high as it can get, the potassium on the other hand no so high. Time to buy Bananas :)
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    only wt yourself in the am. every bodies wt varies thru out the day drink around a gallon a day it helps with bloating. and you want to replace the fluids lost (sweat) during exercise.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A good weight lifting workout that breaks down muscle will increase your water weight. That's part of the muscle recovery process. Really bulked up guys with a heavy workout can add a few pounds from that alone the next day, but then it goes back. Your body is 60% water and it makes up a big part of your LBM. So, if the pattern is an increase in water weight that happens the day after you hit the gym, that's likely what you're experiencing.

If I do an exhausting workout, I expect to see up to a pound gain the next morning and then it drops off the next day or so. Not much different than the next day temporary weight gain after eating too much Chinese take out. Day to day weight naturally fluctuates, but it all evens out over the week.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself right after I workout and right before I drink my protein shake.
    Also, watch your sodium intake. It could lead to water retainment.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Sodium, caffeine, inflammation, NSAIDS, low B vitamins and an abundance of fat (which produces estrogen) can cause fluid retention.

Battle it with exercise, drinking water and avoiding OTC pain killers, processed foods.

My ankles used to dent because of it. Now I'm better.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are 'retaining' water.. you just said what the problem is... you are drinking a huge amount of water then weighing yourself. DOH! of course you are going to weigh heavier.....
    Whatcha weighing yourself so much for anyway? Do it in the morning and don't torture yourself with the scales again that day!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am confused... Why are you concerned about water weight?