New Rules of Lifting vs Stronglifts 5x5

Options
(I am looking for women perspectives, no offence to the dudes.)

I am currently starting Stage 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have had moderate to slow results with the program thus far.

Feeling a lil antsy and want more rapid results, especially in the mid-section. Came across Stronglifts 5x5 and wanted to see if any ladies out there have tried it.
How does it compare to New rules? How are your results? Know anyone who had greater results with one over the other? Do you have comparison pics to show?

(I know there's a group specially dedicated to 5x5 on MFP), but I'm not looking to join it just yet. Just wanted to see how the programs differ/are the same, from ladies who have tried both.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *silently backs out of thread and keeps his advice to himself*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I'm a female and am doing Stronglifts, but he (^^^) would know far better how to help you and I'd take his advice in a heartbeat.

I'd ask his advice if I were you. Being a dude doesn't change anything, he still knows his *kitten*.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm used to the constant sexual discrimination on these boards.

Compatability with your gym should be an important factor in your decision.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I'm a female and am doing Stronglifts, but he (^^^) would know far better how to help you and I'd take his advice in a heartbeat.

I'd ask his advice if I were you. Being a dude doesn't change anything, he still knows his *kitten*.

I second asking DavPul for his advice.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Stronglifts :)

But when I feel like adding to my routine, I'll sometimes refer to the structure in NROL4W.

But I do prefer Stronglifts.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I concur with asking Dav, but as a chick...I've done all of NROLFW and am now in the middle of SL. My personal preference is SL by far! Please note, that I said Personal Preference. I did have great results with NROL, but SL has pushed me farther in my goals.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I do SL but only because I don't love lifting and I love the simplicity of the program.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Stronglifts :)

But when I feel like adding to my routine, I'll sometimes refer to the structure in NROL4W.

But I do prefer Stronglifts.

Yeah, this is kind of what I do. But I will defer to Dav, since he clearly knows more about than I do.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I am a bit limited in what I can do at the moment but if I was able I would say 5x5!!!!!

I am soooo jealous of people who do Wendlers and 5x5's:(

I am doing my own thing, but I have read starting strength and NROLFW. I have read Starting Strength and can't wait to do a 5x5 type of program because I think they are just awesome!!!!! I want to work out with barbells and work all the muscles!!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I do NROL and not SL because I work out at home and don't feel I'd really be able to excel at SL without going to a gym.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sexist thread is sexist.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Sexist thread is sexist.

Nah....I wouldn't get worked up over it. Plenty of very knowledgeable women on these forums. I get where she's coming from.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sexist thread is sexist.

Nah....I wouldn't get worked up over it. Plenty of very knowledgeable women on these forums. I get where she's coming from.

Oh I see. So I should start a thread saying that only men can respond, because women don't know anything about lifting weights They're all a bunch of pink dumbbell lifting sissies, after all they should go back to the kitchen, right? I guess I get where she's coming from too.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    bump. i want to learn more about these two programs
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Sexist thread is sexist.

Oh I see. So I should start a thread saying that only men can respond, because women don't know anything about lifting weights They're all a bunch of pink dumbbell lifting sissies, after all they should go back to the kitchen, right? I guess I get where she's coming from too.

Ok....so go ahead and get worked up...I got no issue if you start a thread where you want a male perspective on something.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I second asking Dav. I fail to see how a woman's perspective is more valuable than a man's. In fact, the majority of the advice I've gotten regarding lifting has been from men, and it's been damn good advice. A bunch of advice from men has led me to obtaining the leanest body I've had in my adult life.

Yay men.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I second asking Dav. I fail to see how a woman's perspective is more valuable than a man's. In fact, the majority of the advice I've gotten regarding lifting has been from men, and it's been damn good advice. A bunch of advice from men has led me to obtaining the leanest body I've had in my adult life.

Yay men.

too late. i've decided i'm only going to offer advice to married, middle aged black guys with shaved heads, two kids, and live in SoCal.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Yay men.

too late. i've decided i'm only going to offer advice to married, middle aged black guys with shaved heads, two kids, and live in SoCal.

I'm North Carolina, shaved head, white, with two *kitten* cats... is that close enough?
  • DavPul
    Options

I'm North Carolina, shaved head, white, with two *kitten* cats... is that close enough?

You're SOL
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yay men.

QFT