Help On TDEE and BMR Confusion

I've been doing this weight loss for two years and I can't seem to get pass 30 pounds. I don't know the difference between TDEE and BMR eating. I did the calculation and I think 2400 may be too high for my age. I'm 5'7 and 54 years old. I'm trying to understand it but it seem to high. Any input and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    BMR is the amount you'd need if you didn't get out of bed. TDEE is figured with your information and activity level. It's the amount you'd likely need to maintain your weight. TDEE- % is the cut rate which should show you weight loss. Was the 2400 with the % cut?
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 308 Member
    Thanks for response that not a cut level it's maintenance level
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    There are many formulas for weight loss using the TDEE. What messes up a lot of people is over estimating their activity level.

For example I am a fairly active person, I work out 90 minutes a day five days a week. However I still put sedentary when asked my activity level because the rest of the day I sit a lot for work.

There is one program out there that says eat 20 % less of your TDEE on your cardio days and 20 % more on your strength training days. Other than that do NOT consider eating back any exercise calories. I find this is about right for me give or take a few hundred calories. I cycle between 1650-1850 a day depending on the type of workout and its intensity.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Sometimes TDEE calculations aren't perfect but we can adjust based on our consistent tracking and weight.
    I, personally, am also 5'7" and weigh about 143-145 pounds, I am 45 years old, and my TDEE is about 1800-1900. If I wanted to lose I'd have to eat about ten percent less: 1650 - 1750.

Because in not trying to lose I have been eating a little over TDEE and starting (baby steps) to lift because I want to keep any muscle that's left.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    BMR = Basal metabolic rate. This is how many calories you burn by EXISTING.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your BMR plus walking around/working out/being active

a 10% cut will not show you any Lean Body Mass (muscle) loss.

If you can't lose more than 30 pounds then the math is off, and you are eating too much.
  • jassyjan1
    Siege_Tank I haven't been eating 2400 I was considering eating my TDEE to jump start my Metabolism, but I'm not sure if this is too high.
  • pit404
    pit404 Posts: 24
    i am abit confused about this to.

my tdee is 1,800 whilst my bmr is 1,500. so how many cals should i be eating a day? and what does 'eating back cals' mean exactly. if i burn 400 cals, do i eat 400 cals back in that day? ive been eating 1,200 cals for a month and didnt lose any weight at all. im starting gym again on monday so im hopeing to lose 6 pounds in the next 5 weeks if i can just get my calorie intake right.im struggling with understanding how much i should eat
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    2400 may be a bit high my TDEE-20% comes to just over 2200 for exercising 6/7 days, I am 5' 6" and 56 years old currently 190 lbs

ETA: try searching for "in place of a road map" or " IPOARM" it explains all about TDEE etc
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    I doubt it's too high. It just seems like it. Cut 20% and eat that for 4 weeks. You might gain a little, but don't freak out. Stick with it. If after 4 weeks you haven't lost, cut another 10%. It will work, unless you have a medical condition.

As for eating exercise cals, you can if you want, but I don't like it. Just eat at a consistent level everyday and workout. Adjust as needed. And, make sure to recalculate every 10 lbs you lose.

That was my thought - have you been recalculating with weight loss? Although I thought it was every 5 lbs lost. I haven't reached that yet & I think once I hit the 5 lb. loss then I'll see if I continue to lose - if I do then I'll leave it but if not then ill recalculate.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Increasing how much you eat can increase your metabolism, but so can decreasing how much you eat. You are at a set point, meaning your body is not changing. Therefore, you need to make a change to your diet to get out of the set point. Eating more could do this, but if you keep eating more, you will eventually gain weight. So to eat more and lose weight you either have to make a drastic change in exercise, or start by eating more to "jump start" your metabolism, and then switch to eating less to continue weight loss. But at what point do you switch? How are you going to be able to tell once your metabolism has increased? This is going to end up counter-productive. Plus, you are going to get used to eating more and then be forced to cut back, which will suck. The fact is that you are just eating too much. Lowering your calories will increase your metabolism because it is a change, and sticking with it will make you lose weight since you'll still be at a deficit. It just makes sense.
  • jassyjan1
    Thank you all so much for your suggestion, I will adjust my caloric Intake accordingly.