What's your physical aliments- due to being over weight.

Options

Replies

• BBM3011
    BBM3011 Posts: 5
    Options
    Knees are a mess!!
    Skin is stretched
    Back is aching
  • jamesrmgibson
    jamesrmgibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I suffer from shin splints, a result of running for the first time in ages and being overweight, but they haven't hurt for quite a while since losing a stone, massaging them and wearing neoprene shin sleeves (wonderful things). My right knee is sometimes painful but seems to have got a lot better since losing weight, same with my lower back, still hurts after exercise but is MUCH better than it was just a few weeks ago.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm not going into all of this because I'm concentrating on being positive and getting healthy. The litany of ailments that some people have posted is enough to make me feel ill!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Well, nothing that is caused from being over weight but issues that are aggravated by the extra weight. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis...so my joints are bad anyways, but the extra weight doesn't help. Depression (been that way for years) but being fat made it worse obviously because if you don't feel good about how you look, that's one more thing to be depressed about. I'd like to say that losing the first 30 pounds has helped either condition...but it hasn't. I've probably made my RA worse with all the exercise...but I think in the long run, it will be better in the end.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well, nothing that is caused from being over weight but issues that are aggravated by the extra weight. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis...so my joints are bad anyways, but the extra weight doesn't help. Depression (been that way for years) but being fat made it worse obviously because if you don't feel good about how you look, that's one more thing to be depressed about. I'd like to say that losing the first 30 pounds has helped either condition...but it hasn't. I've probably made my RA worse with all the exercise...but I think in the long run, it will be better in the end.

Have you tried pool exercise? The class I go to is especially designed for people with arthritis and other musculo-skeletal disorders. I have osteo but there are a number of people in the class who have RA. They all say that it is very, very good for RA. One lady even believes that the cooling you get (they keep the pool at around 80 to 82 degrees) is good for inflammation in the body. Maybe she's right as I have noticed a significant improvement since I started the class. The endorphins you get are great too for lifting mood. I have always noted the grim determination in all of us as we enter the pool and the jovial hilarity as we exit. Makes you feel good all day.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Flat feet
    Rheumatoid Arthritis
  • jendy67
    jendy67 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm not going into all of this because I'm concentrating on being positive and getting healthy. The litany of ailments that some people have posted is enough to make me feel ill!

I find that a bit offensive. The fact that other peoples ailments make you feel ill. You don't have to post or read what was a Topic - What's your physical aliments- due to being over weight.. Did you expect can-can dancing pixies?? Think the title belies the content.
    Sorry maybe my litany of ailments is making my cranky tonight.
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. busted knee cartelidge
    2. hernia
    3. breast cancer

Some might argue that the breast cancer wasn't caused by fat, but studies show that women who are overweight are more likely to get breast cancer.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We all seem to be suffering from the same things here, I think one can say its related to over weight.

YOU are ABSOLUTELY, 100% WRONG! Obesity as well as these diseases come from the TYPE of foods eaten! These and all disease conditions are the result of eating High Acid food...This and ONLY this causes Disease, that is why if one does not change their diet for good disease returns. Skinny, very active people also have these types of diseases...food choices! When you choose High Alkaline, natural foods the Body will right itself, inclusive of weight.

I appreciate obesity and these related conditions come from the foods we select, but my question was: What aliments do you suffer from, as a CONSEQUENCE from being overweight. Your point is how we got there, to suffer from these related conditions. That's not what i was asking.
  • santd
    Options

I must disagree, after gaining weight 4 times in my life, I needed something to remind me of my suffering. Its so easy once you lose the weight to forget all the pain, and for the weight to creep back on. I think most of us would agree....YES we must me positive, but to always be aware of what got us FAT, WHY, and to avoid it in the future, to sustain your best of health. That took me 54 years to work out. I have gained and lost large amounts of weight in my life time. So why when I look and feel great (slimmer), would anyone return to being fat again?? I think obesity is similar to being an alcoholic, your addicted to food, and even if you manage to slim down you will always have to be on the wagon.

So YES I'm on the wagon at present, but I can't allow my old eating habits to return, so I'm always aware of that. My sufferings remind me I don't want to go back to it. I also have a fat photo of me stuck to the fridge door, so when ever I feel tempted, then see its results, it makes me change my mind. Its cruel but it works for me.
  • santd
    Options

Have you tried pool exercise? The class I go to is especially designed for people with arthritis and other musculo-skeletal disorders. I have osteo but there are a number of people in the class who have RA. They all say that it is very, very good for RA. One lady even believes that the cooling you get (they keep the pool at around 80 to 82 degrees) is good for inflammation in the body. Maybe she's right as I have noticed a significant improvement since I started the class. The endorphins you get are great too for lifting mood. I have always noted the grim determination in all of us as we enter the pool and the jovial hilarity as we exit. Makes you feel good all day.

I would agree with this person.... I'm so please you've improved your conditions, and I think swimming is very helpful.
  • santd
    Options

I find that a bit offensive. The fact that other peoples ailments make you feel ill. You don't have to post or read what was a Topic - What's your physical aliments- due to being over weight.. Did you expect can-can dancing pixies?? Think the title belies the content.
    Sorry maybe my litany of ailments is making my cranky tonight.

There's always 1.......
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    We all seem to be suffering from the same things here, I think one can say its related to over weight.

YOU are ABSOLUTELY, 100% WRONG! Obesity as well as these diseases come from the TYPE of foods eaten! These and all disease conditions are the result of eating High Acid food...This and ONLY this causes Disease, that is why if one does not change their diet for good disease returns. Skinny, very active people also have these types of diseases...food choices! When you choose High Alkaline, natural foods the Body will right itself, inclusive of weight.

I appreciate obesity and these related conditions come from the foods we select, but my question was: What aliments do you suffer from, as a CONSEQUENCE from being overweight. Your point is how we got there, to suffer from these related conditions. That's not what i was asking.

Sorry, but YOU just do NOT "get it"! To get and stay healthy one has to do MORE than lose weight... If your goal is to get Healthy. I am saying your whole premiss is wrong. Being FAT does NOT cause disease. Being Fat is the result of something, and the more you do that something the more it also erodes your organs, joints...and causes obesity. When you do that "something" you MAY also get obese but for sure you will get other diseases. That "something" is eating out of balance...the Body is Alkaline (7.365 ph), when you eat acid forming foods to the point your Body becomes acidic, the Body's mucous membrane is damaged (on the cellular level) causing attacks on various weak points of the Body, THIS causes disease. Real, sustainable, healthy weight loss is simply a "side effect" of eating properly and the Body righting itself, as well as when eating properly these "other" diseases are righted.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have bursitis in my left hip. My doctor is not sure whether to believe that it was brought ON by my being overweight, but my being overweight certainly does make it much worse. The more weight I lose, the less pain I will feel, and thank god for that. It was so bad at one point that there were many days I could not walk properly or even get out of bed. Stair cases have been my enemy for months, but not so much anymore!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Sorry, but YOU just do NOT "get it"! To get and stay healthy one has to do MORE than lose weight... If your goal is to get Healthy. I am saying your whole premiss is wrong. Being FAT does NOT cause disease.

WHY must you SHOUT every OTHER word?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    PCOS, high testosterone levels (leading to excess belly fat, irregular hair growth, acne). As a teen, guys would make fun of me all the time. I had one 'guy friend" who looked at my hair arms and said, "you are a manly chick, I don't mean that in a bad way though".

My doctor told me the only thing that was going to cure those things was to get my body to a healthy weight. When I initially got to my lowest weight on here, he was right. My skin was fantastic, my hair is now thicker and healthier than ever, the excess hair growth has slowed (not as thick and dark) and I look in the mirror and feel feminine.

So when your doctor tells you to lose weight to cure and ailment, listen to him and use that as inspiration!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    Arthritis
    Cartilage-deficient knees
    Can't exercise catch 22: lose weight to exercise / exercise to lose weight
    Heart problems AFib & AFlutter

When I hit 300, needed cortizone in knees to walk. Knee replacement doctor said 300# would blow out replacement joint and suggested lap band - got me thinking. Down 56# now and don't need cortisone anymore, can exercise again and heart is improving. Have great expectations. :happy:
  • feesh510
    feesh510 Posts: 14
    Options
    My BMI puts me well into the morbidly obese category, and I'm over 40 years old, but I've never had any obesity related problems other than PCOS, which is sort of a chicken and egg thing.

Now I'm searching for wood to knock on!
  • Snicklefritz81
    Snicklefritz81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure
    Hashimotos
    Heartburn
    knees hurt
    back hurts
    no energy
    hair is falling out

*some is related to 3 pregnancies in 4 years, but I was overweight while pregnant, and had not so nice end of pregnancy outcomes, healthwise.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Im fit as a fiddle! But I had GERD and a huge anxiety/depression problem.