Can you get tallet when you lose weight? (under 20 years)

Options
Saxonvoter
Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
Hi. I'm 18, and I've been losing weight for over a year now. So far I've lost 28 lbs. Last year I was measured at 168cm (5'6), but today I was measured 169,5 cm (almost 5'7). Both measurements were done by my dad. We have doorway where we write down all the kids height for memories.

Anyway. Is it possible that I have grown 1,5 cm? Before I started my weight loss journey my diet was really bad with lots of soda, pizza and junk food. Could it be that because I'm now getting more nutrients and protein etc, that I've actually grown 1,5 cm? Or is it just because my posture has gotten better, and that way "revealed" my real height?

No matter what the reason, I'm just really happy about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one more 0,5 cm so that I'd reach 170 cm/5'7. When I was born, my estimated height was 5'8. Probably not gonna reach that, but one can always wish... :D

//edit. Just noticed a terrible typo in the title. Sorry about that. v___v

Replies

• nicolecassandra
    Options
    You're only 18. You may still grow taller. People usually stop growing when they reach certain age, as for men age 25 and age 21 for women but these numbers can be changed. You just have to do certain things to achieve this such as exercises, physical activities, right diet and other things that will trigger your body to grow taller. Which what you're doing. :) so just continue eating healthy and proper exercises, then it is possible.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin that suddenly shot up in height at like 21 years old. You're just still growing (as was mentioned). :smile:
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You posture can improve with weight loss and the you WILL be taller when you stand. Nice benefit. Congrats! Chin up and keep up the good work!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can still be growing at 18... one good reason not to restrict your calories and nutrients too much. You can be taller if your posture changes as well. Normally the fitter you are, the better your posture. Also, depending on when you measured your height you could be taller temporarily. Normally we are taller in the mornings.