Open to suggestions!

This is my second day as a member and I have yet to change my eating habits. I would love it if someone could tell me how they have gone about changing their eating habits (diets, limitations,etc.) and what has worked for them. I really need a Kickstart-lol!! Thanks-blessings!!

Replies

• EDeniseW
    EDeniseW Posts: 10
    This is my second day as a member and I have yet to change my eating habits. I would love it if someone could tell me how they have gone about changing their eating habits (diets, limitations,etc.) and what has worked for them. I really need a Kickstart-lol!! Thanks-blessings!!
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    I know for me it also took time. But i started with cutting out bread, then went to smaller portions. Your stomach will start to shrink down and then you will not need as much. Also another trick that can work is use smaller plates. Drink plenty of water too. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • EDeniseW
    Thanks for the advice! :happy:
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    I cut down or cut out one thing at a time... You would be suprised but the little changes do make a big difference....Plus you don't give up everything at once and get discouraged quickly....:smile:
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    The best advice I ever got was to eat lean protein with every meal or snack, watch your carbs and refined sugar, drink a lot of water, and exercise. I have found that I now actually eat more than I did doing silly fast type diets and I have more energy. Good luck to you on your adventure!
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Drinking all that water! You won't feel as hungry when you are drinking the 64 oz of water.
    For me, I didn't start not eating foods: I started not eating ingredients, such as:
    Partially hydrogenated oils (cut out trans-fat)
    high-fructose corn syrup (this is a hard one, but possible and it keeps me away from many foods)
    carbonation (this may not be for you if you're a soda-lover)
    etc
  • EDeniseW
    Appreciate ya'll!:smile:
  • B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    try cutting out all sugar and wheat... i was a bread finatic with a major sweet tooth... so it's tough but you start to realize how much hidden sugar is in most of the foods we eat.... make salad dressing from scratch with out the sugar... try rice cakes or corn cakes instead of bread... there are many options out there... start reading labels... you will soon learn that you don't have to substitute flavour for better choices...
  • You guys need a copy of David Zinczenko's book, The Abs Diet. It's all common sense and easy to follow.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    I cut out all fried foods and pop when I first started. (I started almost a month ago and only have 4 lbs more to go)

I don't have pop cravings any more (but I was only drinking 1-2 cans a week to begin with.)

And now I don't really have fried food cravings either.
    I actually went to a bar and shared a basket of fries with friends a few nights ago and I felt sick and gross the next day, so I think my body has adjusted to not eating fried foods too.

And then finally, I took a long hard look in the mirror and told myself that no one was going to change my eating habits for me and that I needed to just suck it up and do it since I was nearing my freshman year of college weight (the heaviest I've ever been in my life) and I wasn't going to go there again. I think the fear of weighing that amount again was enough of a motivator for me.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    I took a good week to log in all my foods and see where I was over, and start adjusting my meals accordingly. It was difficult, but if you plan your meals ahead of time, you are able to log them and ensure you stay within your limits. It's not easy at first, but once you get the hang of things, it will really start to pay off! Combine that with exercise and you should be on your way to a healthier you!!!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    If it's not healthy, I don't buy it. It was as simple as that for me. I don't crave candy and other junk but regardless, I don't keep it in the house.

If it's not there, it's harder for me to eat it.
  • The same here!!!
    :bigsmile:
    Buy only healthy products...not candy!! If is not in the house I don't eat it!!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    I put my food in before I eat it. Helps me see the choices I am making and I see all the calories in some foods and change what Im having to a lower it has taking me 21 days and still I have to check the calories before I put them in my mouth. Bread and starchy foods are my weakness and cheese.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    I suggest planning your meals. Something to go by is 7 servings fruit/veggies 6 servings whole grain product or alternative 2 servings dairy/alt 2 servings meat/alt 2-3 tbsp fat This is sort of basic but effectively gets you on the right track to fueling your body in the right manner. Calories can obviously counted and made up of '12 x 100 calorie packs' but that isn't going to get you where you want to be. For more detail you can check out the Canda Health Food Guide on line (for serving sizes and other great info) This is what I am working towards myself and it is hard to do after years of poor habits. I have lost the same 4-6 lbs over and over for the last 5-6 weeks. Now my action plan is to follow the food guide, and drink my water. Good luck to you.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    I just started buying all reduced/no fat cheeses i.e. cottage, cream, sliced. I only buy whole grain bread now and limit myself. (If I know I want a sandwich for lunch I don't have bread in the morning and limit carbs and dinner) I don't drink soda so that wasn't a problem for me, but if it is for you, stop drinking it and start drinking water. I have a huge (as my husband calls it, my box) container that holds my 8 glasses of water. I fill it in the morning with ice and drink it all day. I usually finish it and fill it again. (sometimes not finishing it, but I know once the first bottle goes down I have my quota for the day). Try to get a little of each serving in a meal.
    Breakfast - bread, protein (egg white, turkey bacon, etc) milk, (yogurt, cheese, milk in cereal)
    Lunch - sandwich with protein (turkey) veggies (load up)
    chicken soup (broth based are best)
    smart one or lean cuisines
    salad with cottage cheese (no fat Cabot is yummy)
    Dinner- protein, small carbs (brown rice, potato, yam) and lots of veggies
    Snacks, yogurt, banana w/peanut butter, V8
    Once you get going, you'll start to know what you should and shouldn't eat. And it makes you feel better when you start choosing the right things. (doesn't make my hubby happy, but I don't care, he'll be happy when I'm thinner!)
    Jennifer
  • EDeniseW
    Ya'll have been very helpful-thanx!! Blessings:wink: !!!
  • I got some advice from a guy at GNC which was to eat every 2 hours. He also told me what to eat but after 2 days of it I realized that it was 2800 calories!!! Anyway, I modified it a bit and am trying this.

breakfast: 3 eggs (only 1 yolk), 1 cup oatmeal
    snack: protein shake (with skim milk)
    lunch: 5 oz. chicken, tuna, or turkey, 1 cup of brocolli or spinach, 1 serving of fruit (pref. berries)
    dinner: 5 oz chicken, tuna, or turkey, 1 cup of brocolli or spinach, 1 cup of rice

also, I switched from sugar to splenda in my coffee and skim milk or no milk/cream

I know it sounds a bit boring but I like knowing what to eat and when. After 1 week I have lost 8 lbs.!

Oh and I have started walking for 30 mins. at least 4 times a week.