How do I save extra smoothie?

Options
Adirafox
Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
Sometimes recipes make more than enough for one smoothie. How can I keep the leftovers? Do I just freeze it and thaw later? Is there some special trick so that it doesn't change color, separate, etc?

Are there any smoothie ingredients that should NOT be saved for later?

Replies

• hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick the blender in the fridge since I will get to it the next morning. If it separates and giving it a swish doesn't help then I stick it back on the base and give it a blast.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I normally store mine in a glass jar (canning jars work well). When I go to drink it I give it a good shake to mix than it's good to go. I have also frozen them in mason jars. Just be sure not to fill completely as the liquid will expand when frozen.

My mother brings smoothies for lunch at work since she doesn't get a long enough break to actually eat something. She makes a huge batch of smoothies than freezes them in ice cube trays. A bit of water in a thermos, a few ice cubes and it's ready to go. At lunch she shakes it up and it's good to go.

Unless frozen I don't drink a leftover shake more than a day after it was made.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What do you mean extra? I drink nearly a whole blender full each morning. Its only 250-350 calories for a blender full. Its just banana, strawberries, spinach, nonfat greek yogurt, and water (and maybe a dash of splenda). Color me confused. How big exactly do you call "one smoothie".

Seeing as how I puree nearly all my fruits and veggies before hand and freeze them in ice cube trays, I dont think anything except bananas will have a problem being frozen. Banana once diluted in other fruit will freeze.

WhY not make smoothie popsicles since summer is coming.