I've grown a tail, and other weight-loss Issues

Options
I think if I write a book, I'll name it the above subject line! Lol.

Seriously though, I've noticed within the past month I'm getting more and more uncomfortable as my tailbone becomes more prominent. I drive a Honda odyssey, so not bad seats or anything, but I've had to add throw pillows and arrange them so there's a gap where my tailbone is. Sometimes depending on the pants I'm wearing...like workout vs non-stretchy business clothes, I can still feel like its hitting something. I'm very careful when sitting on hard chairs and have to lean forward to keep it from hitting. So I guess I was just wondering if this is normal...I've never been this thin in my adult life, so I don't know what normal is for me.

Also, I have a very large indentation between where my pecs meet my underarms, and it's getting very hard to shave without the risk of slicing myself. Are there products that make this easier that's not too hard on sensitive skin? I'm seriously thinking about getting a laser treatment device for a couple hundred dollars if I can save up eventually.

Thanks everyone...enjoy your weekend.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are talking about
  • Farrahrm
    Farrahrm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So that's a "no" for you on the tailbone issue then. Good to know.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    maybe you have a longer tailbone than the norm?
    i've never had this issue, even at anorexic weights.
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a problem sitting straight because my tailbone has an "unusual' curve. I did notice the bigger i was the less it hurt. go to the doctor and get an xray. lol. nothing to be done except change the way you sit. good luck!!!
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    I'll talk about it with my doctor, thanks. I must had significant cushioning back there before and this was never an issue. I'm certainly no where near anorexic at this point. I can't imagine how bad it would hurt if I was really thin.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Op: thank u! I thought i was weird and i had my fiancé to look, low and behold, i have a tail bone! It's funny. I never noticed it before till i dropped 70 lbs and begun lifting weights. I thought mine was a knot. Done thought i needed to go to the dr... Yay. I'm not alone
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    So that's a "no" for you on the tailbone issue then. Good to know.

Actually, I get the tailbone thing. I am uncomfy in certain positions, but not just sitting generally. And I'm pretty slim. It was the armpit/ shaving thing that I don't understand - aren't they just hard to shave due to their natural shape?
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    Oh, we'll at 265 lbs, the space under my arms was "filled out" so to speak...there wasn't much of a concave shape...and since I've never been this thin ( 235 when I graduated HS at 17 yrs old) I never knew it would be a problem.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    other than bruised tailbone , the only other thing that comes to mind is a pilonidal cyst
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    I know about those cysts...my grandma had one. This feels like its inside. I can feel my tailbone tip even...it's gross, haha.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Omg...YES!! Once I'd got to a certain weight I couldn't sit down properly for months!! Even sitting on a nice squishy sofa was uncomfortable - my work chair gained a very tactically positioned cushion lol!! It was almost impossible to sit on a hard bench :-((

Some good news though...it does get better and I've lost more weight and it really doesn't bother me any more :-))

I've gone from 220lbs and it started being a problem around 160lbs - I'm now 147lbs.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Apart from pillows: How about considering how you sit? I find that I am more comfortable sitting up straight, balancing on the seat bones, than leaning back. Also: Work those butt muscles! Fill in with a fine, firm, muscled behind where there was only fat.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your posture?

Also as far as shaving I have concave underarms. And I'm not even that skinny. Consider waxing. It seriously doesn't hurt..
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help you but I just love the title of this thread
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    I usually sit leaned back because of a back injury I've had since my daughter was born, so it's probably something I should work on.

I'm surprised waxing wouldn't hurt your underarms. I've only waxed my legs before and that hurt a lot, so I figured the under arms would be even worse.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised waxing wouldn't hurt your underarms. I've only waxed my legs before and that hurt a lot, so I figured the under arms would be even worse.

I have a stupid high pain tolerance. I wax other parts.... :-\
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ha, I've had the opposite experience: the more I work out, the more developed my glutes get, the rounder my butt is, and the less it hurts to sit for long periods of time. I have rock-hard protection now where I used to just have thin, flat, flab :laugh:

The armpits though I can't help you with... mine have never been particularly rounded. Just shave slowly, I guess.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    homepage_hl.jpg
  • NoExcuses79
    NoExcuses79 Posts: 233
    Options
    This is definately a problem that your doctor needs to look at. However I've heard this many times before, it's more common than people realize. I used to listen to a medical radio show regularly and one of the hosts had this issue. He could actually wag his a bit!!! Or so they said I couldnt see it. I'm gonna look into this a lil more, you've struck my interest. I'm sure there's footage and info all over the web.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    When I started cycling back in august my tailbone hurt something fierce. All that sitting on a bad seat either gave me a bruise or a cyst or something. It hurt bad for a month or two. My guess would be this.

However, because of your back injury and the way you've been sitting it might, maybe, possibly have something to do with misaligned hips. I'm not a chiropractor so I'm not sure if this is even a possibility, but it sounds feasible to me.

Also, that seat cushion with the hole cut out is a brilliant move. The local cycle shop has an avid recumbent cyclist with the same problem and ended up inventing his own recumbent bike seat with the little notch cut out in the back for his tailbone.