Night Snacking

Options
I'm having trouble with night snacking. I eat the best I can all throughout the day and make balanced food decisions, but at the end of the day I end of snacking! A lot!

Part of it is stress. Part of it is because I watch tv at night after my baby is asleep, and I use that time to relax and try not to think about tomorrow. I grew up eating every meal in front of the tv with my family, so its like a Pavlovian response, when I watch tv I think I need food. I've turned exercising while I watch tv instead but after my regular workout and all the other things I did during the day, I have no energy to exercise. Plus I want to use it as my relax time.

Should I just stop watching tv altogether until I reach my goal? That seems extreme to me, especially since I only watch about an hour a day. Nothing compared to those who watch it all day long.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day so you can have something at night.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough at your regular meals with lots of volume like veggies and salad. Make sure you're eating enough protein. I eat lots of veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale and spinach. You can eat a lot for not a lot of calories. Beans also really fill me up. Drink lots of water.
    How many calories are you eating daily?
    If you are eating enough, save some of the for when you sit down to relax.
    Apples and oranges with a big mug of tea is filling and a nice nite time snack.
    Or banana and peanut butter.
    I keep the crappy food out of my house so when I reach for something it's usually a yummy whole food.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would say only eat at the dining room/kitchen table. Less likely to overeat, and will be able to appreciate the food better.