How to count calories on c25k? Day 1=die die die/Questions..

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I did a modified c25k today...could only run 30 seconds and rested 90 seconds. I am trying to go from not ON the couch, but from ~~~BEING~~~ the couch!! LOL I'm only 4 weeks into my new way of life, having walked 24 days out of the last 28, starting at 30 minutes and up to 40-50 minutes at 3.3 mph, occasionally up to 3.5. So we're calling this first few outingss, week 1a. ;)

Here's the question:

I went 1.4 miles in 22 minutes, with 10 min or so warm up/cool down total, and 8 spurts of 30 seconds, for a run total of 4 minutes, and walking of 8 minutes.

Walking 18 minutes
Running 4 minutes

Is that how I log it in my exercise journal? I think I have to estimate my speed, although I know I didn't walk any slower than 3.0mph. Or do I average it out to 3.8 mph? (of which there isn't one, it's either 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0 as near as I can tell)

Sorry, my brain is utterly and completely dead. And I might not be able to do this again until I see my doctor next Tuesday. I was wheezing, although I've never had asthma in my life....course I've never been this fat before when I ran. I ran more today than in the previous 24 years COMBINED.
Thanks.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Here's what I did when i was in the interval stage of the training. I would start my timer when I started (including the warm up) and walk and run as planned and then, obviously, stop the timer when I was done. Then I would just figure out how much ground i had covered during that time by using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com.

From that you can figure out the average speed during that time. It ended up averaging out to a pretty brisk walk for me and that's how I logged it, even though it technically included periods of running. Oh well, I figure that at least gave me a ballpark figure.

Great job getting started! You can do it!
  • Hello Ks,

My naem is Andrea. I actually do a similarity of what you are doing. I warm up for 5 minutes, then stretch, then get on the treadmill for 3 miles doing intervals, 60 seconds of running, and 90 seconds of walking. My treadmill tells me how many calories Ive burned. however, before I was able to get this number off the treadmill I entered it into the system as a walk 3.5. This will pull up various exercises, if you went 3.0, then i would enter the walking briskly at 3.0 miles, which is like a walking dog or something like that in the system.. then just let it calculate it based on your time. Ive dieted so many times and I have finally learned that there is no way to be precise in your calculations, because truly you are going to continue to burn those calories after you finish anyways, at least for a little while. So just putting it in that way and letting the system estimate it based on your info is the best way to go, the point is that you did it. The calories are burnt even if the number in the system isnt right.

Hope I helped a little!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    I wear a HRM and manually put it in.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member

That's my next purchase if I can ever figure out which one to buy! I want a wrist one but don't know if that will work well...but I hate those chest band ones.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    just put in the time you walked and the time you ran seperately. it should be somewhat close. When I did this the number from the HRM ended up being pretty close to mfp.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196

That's my next purchase if I can ever figure out which one to buy! I want a wrist one but don't know if that will work well...but I hate those chest band ones.

the ones where you wear it around your chest are more accurate. I got the Garmin Forerunner 305. It has a lot of neat features that I like.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Congrats on getting start on C25K! I'm starting that this week too!!

I bought a Heart Rate Monitor, which can cost between $50 - 150, depending on the type and brand you go with. I found it's great for this interval training and helps you more precisely track how many calories you've burned through the day. Plus I like gadgets....so its another toy to play with. Before though, I would simply average my pace for the entire walk/run, and use that as my calorie burn. I know you feel like you are getting cheated for entering it as a 'walk'...I felt the same way at first. Either way, your doing sooooo much more than you were before. As you stick with the program and increase your mph and how many calories you burn, it's going to keep motivating you to get to the next level.

Great work!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.