Adjust running plan to avoid overtraining

Hi there. I run. I work out. I do all that craziness, but I have a habit of over doing it and getting injured.

So it's running season in Boston, but it's also Soccer season. I'm playing full 90 min outdoor games every Sunday, but I also want to nail a good 5k time for this annual I do for my neighborhood in June.

The running plan is here..

http://halhigdon.staging.racersites.com/training/50934/Intermediate-5K-Training

But every Sunday (long run days), I have a soccer game. Any tips on how I can shift this around to work both, without destroying myself?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It's hard to give a solid answer without really knowing your current fitness level. If it was me I would shift the schedule one day to the left so the long run is on Sat, soccer game on the rest day, and then make the Monday 3 miler really easy. If you try this and it wears you down then change the Monday 3 miler into a rest day.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    It's hard to give a solid answer without really knowing your current fitness level. If it was me I would shift the schedule one day to the left so the long run is on Sat, soccer game on the rest day, and then make the Monday 3 miler really easy. If you try this and it wears you down then change the Monday 3 miler into a rest day.

That sounds like a decent plan, but I dont think it's the best idea to make my rest day a soccer day. I think for recovery, I'd need that day without any cardio at all. As far as fitness level, I'm currently jogging around an 8 min pace, 3 miles a day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If you feel you need the rest day then change the 3 miler at the beginning of the week to rest. The soccer will give you the cardiovascular training in its place and you will be rested for the speedwork the following day.

All you need to do is shift the plan one day to the left and do the long runs on Sat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    you're just going to have to adapt and adjust.

have you tried searching for sports training plans?? you know, the kind that incorporate the fact that you play a game and practice once or twice a week.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Shift everything back by a day and do the long run on Saturday. Problem solved.
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    could you do the long run on a weekday?
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    If you don't want 90 min of soccer performance detrimentally impacted by your long run, try doing long run on Friday.

Ultimately, training plans are just guides. Ensure you're getting a good base for endurance and some speedwork. Would suggest soccer can count as some of your speedwork as you're activating your fast-twitch muscles in that workout (I guess, unless you're the goalie?) Better to be injury free even if not optimally trained than sidelined by injury or overtraining syndrome.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    I shifted the long run to mondays, moved everything else to the right, and left the final week of the race unchanged. I also lopped a mile off the long runs, to give my legs a little break.