Carbs VS Fat VS Protein

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 1g protein per lb/lbm and 0.35g fats per lb/body weight - the rest I fill in wherever, but trying to keep carbs up as much as possible while still being able to eat food I like.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 1g protein per lb/lbm and 0.35g fats per lb/body weight - the rest I fill in wherever, but trying to keep carbs up as much as possible while still being able to eat food I like.
    This does seem to be the new way of counting macros. In fact I have started using this approach.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    This does seem to be the new way of counting macros. In fact I have started using this approach.

the fat intake is higher than the true requirement but not many people actually take a look into the essential fatty acids required for intake. Unless you somehow was 100% sure of your EFA intake you could drop to 20-25%. Maybe even lower.

I dont keep track of my EFAs at all tbh.

The other factor that gets altered is the lower bodyfat you are the more protein is required for you. I am not talking about 12% either.
    I am talking about 10-8%. the protein requirement will shoot up to about 1.4
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my macro mix, as it is irrelevant to my weightloss.

I do prefer protein, and enjoy the feeling or tearing apart flesh, cooked or raw. So I tend to eat more protein, and fewer carbs. I'm not a big fruit fan, and I know I shouldn't eat grains much, considering what they do to my stomach. However, I'm stupid sometimes.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I do prefer protein, and enjoy the feeling or tearing apart flesh, cooked or raw. So I tend to eat more protein, and fewer carbs. I'm not a big fruit fan, and I know I shouldn't eat grains much, considering what they do to my stomach. However, I'm stupid sometimes.

Yes this is true but, it IS relevant as far as body composition goes.
  • Joehenny
    Options
    Currently: 45c/35p/20f

Trying to go to 40p/40c/20f but it's hard. I'm starting to realize that I don't really care for meat as much as I need to:/. Sucks because there is no way in HELL I'm going vegetarian though, just kind of a drag to have to eat my lbm in protein grams every day.
  • DatMurse
    Options

to a certain degree.
    It is relevant when you go sub 12%
  • Joehenny
    Options

to a certain degree.

At any level of body fat macro distribution will play a role, may not be as noticeable at higher levels but certainly will be in your lifts. Also not to mention the hormonal issues of being deficient in a macro-nutrient over an extended amount of time. The most common for example due to bad info: fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

to a certain degree.

I would also agree that it is relevant if I was eating mostly carbs and not really investing in preserving what lean muscle I have. However, for me, it is not an issue.
  • DatMurse
    Options

to a certain degree.

At any level of body fat macro distribution will play a role, may not be as noticeable at higher levels but certainly will be in your lifts. Also not to mention the hormonal issues of being deficient in a macro-nutrient over an extended amount of time. The most common for example due to bad info: fat.

Past this point is not related to the average person.

The hormonal issue is related to fat intake where it is literally non existent and little to no EFAs are taken within the body.

In regards to glycogen your body doesnt use as much glycogen in a normal lifting routine as people think it does. Even ketogenic people can still maintain a decent amount of strength in relation to inadequate carbohydrate intake and do not feel the effects of fatigue in relation to low carbohydrate intake.

Protein becomes a bigger factor the leaner you are.
    People have this assumption that if someone is at 25%+ bodyfat they still need 1lb of protein per lb of bw.
    They can go as low as .5 and still maintain adequate muscle mass and strength.

It is all relative to fuel availability such as protein will be determined upon muscle vs fat ratio.

This is also the first time I saw that someone says you will have a hormonal issue from being deficient of protein or carbs
  • Joehenny
    Options

to a certain degree.

The hormonal issue is related to fat intake where it is literally non existent and little to no EFAs are taken within the body.

In regards to glycogen your body doesnt use as much glycogen in a normal lifting routine as people think it does. Even ketogenic people can still maintain a decent amount of strength in relation to inadequate carbohydrate intake and do not feel the effects of fatigue in relation to low carbohydrate intake.

People have this assumption that if someone is at 25%+ bodyfat they still need 1lb of protein per lb of bw.

It is all relative to fuel availability such as protein will be determined upon muscle vs fat ratio.

This is also the first time I saw that someone says you will have a hormonal issue from being deficient of protein or carbs

Yes the hormonal issue I was referring mostly to fats.

Going as low as.5 may maintain, but as far as the optimal amount is concerned this is just wrong. This is in regards to someone who is aiming for muscle hypertrophy.

Abrupt changes in carbs can affect thyroid function, and also carbs play a role in leptin levels especially when on an extended cut.

Can you link me to a study about higher bf% and protein intakes though? I did not know that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

to a certain degree.

While I agree that less protein is required the higher the BF% *if* you base it on body weight. This is not to say it is irrelevant though - the math just needs to change. That is why I usually prefer to use LBM as it at least has a 'self governing' factor. The person with a 25% BF will have a proportionately lower LBM that the same person with a 15% BF.

Protein deficiency (or excess) can possibly cause a downstream impact that will affect hormones - although this is goes more into the 'possible' and 'may' realms when talking about a deficiency as opposed to an excess (and excess is pretty high and varies on the individual).
  • DatMurse
    Options

to a certain degree.

Going as low as.5 may maintain, but as far as the optimal amount is concerned this is just wrong. This is in regards to someone who is aiming for muscle hypertrophy.

Abrupt changes in carbs can affect thyroid function, and also carbs play a role in leptin levels especially when on an extended cut.

Can you link me to a study about higher bf% and protein intakes though? I did not know that.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/protein-intake-how-much-protein-should-you-consume-and-what-does-the-research-really-say.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

It goes to the fuel availability, while protein intake is important in regards to muscle hypertrophy and retention. if the availability of fuel from fat heavily outweighs muscle, the protein intake for muscle retention goes lower.
    And vice versa.
    Amino acid composition will play a role into this as well.

The numbers need to be altered the lower the person goes.
    ex. 30-25-20-15-12-10-9-8

In regards to leptin it is still highly speculated. The full function is still not fully understood. Such as lean individuals still have lower leptin than an obese individual.
    It is still beleived to be a signalling hormone which is created by fat cells. Since a former fatty would have more fat cells than a never-fatty, the former fatty will still be very hungry.

Makes you wonder if lipo-suction on a former fatty would be beneficial.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

to a certain degree.

Sorry to jump in, but they discuss it in the Protein Round Table with Eric Helms and Alan Aragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

It's long but worth listening to (more than once :smile: )
  • Joehenny
    Options

to a certain degree.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/protein-intake-how-much-protein-should-you-consume-and-what-does-the-research-really-say.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

It goes to the fuel availability, while protein intake is important in regards to muscle hypertrophy and retention. if the availability of fuel from fat heavily outweighs muscle, the protein intake for muscle retention goes lower.
    And vice versa.
    Amino acid composition will play a role into this as well.

The numbers need to be altered the lower the person goes.
    ex. 30-25-20-15-12-10-9-8

In regards to leptin it is still highly speculated. The full function is still not fully understood. Such as lean individuals still have lower leptin than an obese individual.
    It is still beleived to be a signalling hormone which is created by fat cells. Since a former fatty would have more fat cells than a never-fatty, the former fatty will still be very hungry.

Makes you wonder if lipo-suction on a former fatty would be beneficial.

Thanks for the links. Will check them out and get back to ya when I get the chance. :glasses:
  • DatMurse
    Options

to a certain degree.

While I agree that less protein is required the higher the BF% *if* you base it on body weight. This is not to say it is irrelevant though - the math just needs to change. That is why I usually prefer to use LBM as it at least has a 'self governing' factor. The person with a 25% BF will have a proportionately lower LBM that the same person with a 15% BF.

Protein deficiency (or excess) can possibly cause a downstream impact that will affect hormones - although this is goes more into the 'possible' and 'may' realms when talking about a deficiency as opposed to an excess (and excess is pretty high and varies on the individual).
    The problem I see with LBM is fat calipers and electrode ways of measurement are being interpreted as the proper form of measurement. When I started lifting I was 13-16% bodyfat when I was clearly 25%+.
    A trained individual, the numbers will not be vary as much.

This forum is mainly comprised of overweight people rather than bodybuilders or athletes. Their numbers will vary much higher than someone who is clearly 15%.

Well I guess its cause the physiological requirement of protein is so low I couldnt imagine someone going that low.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

to a certain degree.

The problem I see with LBM is fat calipers and electrode ways of measurement are being interpreted as the proper form of measurement. When I started lifting I was 13-16% bodyfat when I was clearly 25%+.
    A trained individual, the numbers will not be vary as much.

This forum is mainly comprised of overweight people rather than bodybuilders or athletes. Their numbers will vary much higher than someone who is clearly 15%.

Well I guess its cause the physiological requirement of protein is so low I couldnt imagine someone going that low.

I totally agree that people often have no clue as to their BF%. The way I look at it is, it is better than using total body weight as that is so variable and most of the studies are done on leaner individuals and so you end up with the 'lesser of the evils' If someone is significantly overweight, the amount needed is less, especially if they are new to training. Assuming no medical issues, going higher is fine, especially as protein has a greater satiety. Being 'too low' for an actual deficiency is highly unlikely and so you really are in the adequate v optimal discussions, especially in a more overweight individual.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks for the links. Will check them out and get back to ya when I get the chance. :glasses:

The article is a really good one fwiw
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    looking into this myself so bump
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    30g is very low for Primal Blueprint - actually just read rhis 5 minutes ago.......http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz2T3OYCN66