Feeling like your sacrificing your body for work???

Options
I'm a university student, and when school first let out in April, I had a lot of time to work out, cook, and just do so many things I love to do. But then I started working more, and as a server I was expected to pick up a lot more shifts during the summer time. Now, I spend pretty much my whole life working that I don't even have time for myself to do my full workout, spend time with my family or friends.

has anyone ever felt this way? having something else "consume" you and prevent you from getting better/ becoming a better you?

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Life is about choices. If you don't like the way your life is right now, look for ways to change it or accept that your current occupation is a short term choice that will help you get to your ultimate goals. My daughter worked as a server for a while and decided that the pay was inadequate for the amount of effort, got her bartender's license and paid her way through university that way. There may be other, better job opportunities "out there" if you look hard enough. In the mean time, your life is what it is and I wouldn't get too worked up about it, since as a student, I would assume your life goal is to be something other than a server (short term "pain" to reach long term better life goal).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    For me, it is all about time management. If you only have a couple of hours a day to spend on yourself, ask your friends to work out with you or ride bicycles or go for a walk with your family. Wear a pedometer or fit bit or nike fuel band to see how many calories you are burning while serving.

But I think school and work (I worked my way thru college) were the toughest times of my life. my weight yo-yo'd and my family didn't see much of me. But so worth it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It can get rough. I am currently working 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. It doesn't leave much time to do anything, but I try to make time for running and to eat as healthy as I can. It requires you to make choices and sacrifices. I spend my afternoons running rather than watching tv or eating, as I would honestly prefer. Good luck.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me, it is all about time management. If you only have a couple of hours a day to spend on yourself, ask your friends to work out with you or ride bicycles or go for a walk with your family. Wear a pedometer or fit bit or nike fuel band to see how many calories you are burning while serving.

This is a good idea...try adding extra steps in like when walking to classes/work or park further away from places like the mall and grocery store...Try lifting your book bag by doing bicep and tricep exercises, while waiting for classes to start or doing squats every time you have to pick something up off the floor at work...when I first lived on my own, I was working and going to school. I didn't even bother with owning a TV cause there was no time (and when I wanted to sit down and chill out, I usually fell asleep).
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yep. Finding the balance is tricky. I'm still working on it myself, but HIIT has helped me to feel better. Right now I'm using Zuzka Light's Zwow and zcut workouts from youtube. They're quick, body weight circuits that hit all muscles with intense cardio. It's easy to squeeze them in because they're only about 20-30 mins including a good warmup and cool down. And they're free! :)