A Healthier Alternative to that Mocha Latte

Options

Replies

• MzOakland
    MzOakland Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Gonna try this promptly!
  • nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful!!
    I have been trying to cut my starbucks habit by making espresso drinks at the office. I use Cafe Bustelo with steamed Almond Milk + Protein Vanilla and one Sweet & Low. It's not as great as the Vanilla Latte but definitely cuts down on the calories and the $4 a cup!
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WHIP CREAM LOVERS LISTEN UP!!! :love:

I'm just catching back up with this thread, and I love the comments/more great ideas you've all contributed! The "recipe" I posted is of course the bare bones minimum for the lowest calorie indulgence.. however to creamy it up or make it more mocha, just increase the Coffee-mate Creamer and/or Ovaltine. As far as the whip cream addiction, yes it is sinful and I cave pretty much every time that Barista temps me with it - but NO, you do NOT have to avoid it at home!! Go to the grocery and get yourself a can of "Reddi-wip Fat Free Whipped Topping Real Cream".. Just 1 Tbsp is 3 CALORIES.. yeah baby.. that's what I'm talkin' about!:drinker: You can easily sin with TWO Big Tblsp on top of your beverage with very little pain to your calorie intake.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-cream-real-whipped-topping-fat-free_f-ZmlkPTcxODA0.html
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    Oops.. sucker tried to double post. :wink:
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • MzOakland
    MzOakland Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Which flavor are you using? Rich Chocolate or malt?
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I am a Chai Latte freak and it's killing me in sugar.

Mary Ann

Cinnamon tea with honey and milk is a good substitute , most of the time....
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I usually ask for the Skinny version at Starbucks. I luv the Chai Tea Latte. I make it a home, brew one cup of Chai tea and one cup of Almond Milk Unsweetened Vanilla.
  • itsuptoyou
    itsuptoyou Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out the ingredients in the powdered "creamer". I wouldn't call this a "healthier" alternative. Perhaps a less caloric one but certainly not "healthier".
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    bump
  • mistresshc
    mistresshc Posts: 3
    Options
    :smile: how about try it sugar -free star bucks can do it that way because i do it I'm a diabetic so i do it that way :smile its easy an if you still want to do it with sugar try sweet-n-low or equal you could requested it that way it's works just the same give a try an let know how everyone likes them :wink: ENJOY AN HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    Rich Chocolate is the one I experimented with, but I have since picked up Malt to try.:smile:
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    I have to be very careful of anything that claims to be "sugar-free".. as whatever they use for sugar substitution can make me sick very very quickly. I'm much better off sticking with raw sugar (turbinado).
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    I agree with you... nowhere did I mention the drink as being healthy, and I can't imagine anyone thinking the Starbucks version really is either... however here are those stats you requested right from the Coffee-mate website. It basically consists of not a lot of anything. Cheers!:drinker:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tsp (2g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 10
    Calories From Fat 5
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.5g
    1%
    Saturated Fat .5g
    3%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    0%
    Sodium 0mg
    0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g
    0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 0g
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Not a significant source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
    INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, VEGETABLE OIL (PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COCONUT OR PALM KERNEL, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN), SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, AND LESS THAN 2% OF DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE (MODERATES COFFEE ACIDITY), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (PREVENTS OIL SEPARATION), SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ANNATTO COLOR.
    ** Not a source of lactose.

Current as of November, 2009. Please see shelf packaging for any changes.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Check out the ingredients in the powdered "creamer". I wouldn't call this a "healthier" alternative. Perhaps a less caloric one but certainly not "healthier".

I didn't think she was claiming it to be "healthy"
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I really need to get me some Ovaltine and Reddi Whip now!!!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I am a Chai Latte freak and it's killing me in sugar.

Mary Ann
    Try this powdered chai http://www.drinkmechai.co.uk/range.html
    It's really yummy, you don't need to add milk, I have a 10 gram serving per mug at 46.5 calories!