do you go by inches or weight?

Options
do you believe that the scale fluctuates?
I think I might bin my scales and stick to my tape measure..

The scale is emotional for me and at a 5ft1 with 22" waist and 29" hips i dont think a scale is a place for me to worry.
I want to focus on building muscle and losing fat but worry seeing the scale budge up will be hard for me.

How do you feel most comfortable?
Which measurements are most important to you?

Replies

• SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The scale definitely fluctuates and weight definitely changes if you are doing a lot of strength training.

I am about 15 - 20 pounds heavier than I was 20 years ago, but I wear a size smaller. That is not due to vanity sizing, as I have two items of clothing (a linen dress and linen pants) I saved for 24 years--and they are both too big now! Please don't ask why I saved them..."one day I will fit in this dress!!!!" :-)

I weigh weekly to insure I am going in the right direction and measure every two weeks. I care most about my waist and abs measurement, although watching my calf "inch" down slowly is mildly amusing ;-)
    Good luck with your goals!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The scale definitely fluctuates. It doesn't bother me though.

In my profile picture, my weight would fluctuate between 125lbs - 135lbs. I wish I knew what my BF% was then, so I could focus on that number instead. As of right now though, since my first goal is to look like that again, I have my goal set to get to 135lbs.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The scale and the tape measure fluctuate for me because of my diet and exercise (and other things that cause weight fluctuations).

When I was less fat, I used scales, tape measure, and Accu-Measure Callipers. The callipers are handy if you don't have too much body fat and are only interested in monitoring the amount of subcutaneous fat, so you might want to look at them if you want something as well as the tape measure.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Both, but use the tape to really see the progress. I measure every 2-3 weeks, early in the morning, and after a good night's rest. I do weigh myself every day just to see the fluctuations.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Number on the scale is important for me but I also still have a lot of weight to lose. I took my measurement also last month I think, I will soon take them again and see that progresss.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I use measurments more. I still weigh every friday morning, but I weigh 15 lbs more than 2 years ago and wear one size less. Go figure!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    inches all the way- my scale is a LIAR! OOOOORR maybe just misleading. :noway:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The mirror . My favorite pants tell me I've gained a lb or 5.
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    Definitely inches. Last week, I put on a pair of pants from 5 years ago and they fit. When I wore them before, I weighed 15 pounds less than what I do now. Skinny fat. SMH.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    First photos, then inches, THEN the scale.

Or that's what I do when I'm not pmsing.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    do you believe that the scale fluctuates?
    I think I might bin my scales and stick to my tape measure..

The scale is emotional for me and at a 5ft1 with 22" waist and 29" hips i dont think a scale is a place for me to worry.
    I want to focus on building muscle and losing fat but worry seeing the scale budge up will be hard for me.

How do you feel most comfortable?
    Which measurements are most important to you?

I go by weight because I have a lot to lose and just want to be in a healthy weight range now.