If you're gonna squat................

2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I'm still trying to figure out why this bothers you.

OP may not reply because he thinks he's better than everyone because he squats properly and doesn't think he needs to advise anyone.

My primary concern is that half squatting can cause knee problems.
    Lol, yeah that's it.............:noway:

I'll just respond with attorney terms: Speculation by the...................what position are you in?

Notice in my original post I'm NOT telling people they don't know how to squat properly..............I'm telling them that ego is getting in the way of them doing that squat because of weights that are too heavy to handle or repetitions that are too high for them to accomplish.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Just jumping in here so I can remember to look at those vids tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member

OP may not reply because he thinks he's better than everyone because he squats properly and doesn't think he needs to advise anyone.

I'll just respond with attorney terms: Speculation by the...................what position are you in?

Notice in my original post I'm NOT telling people they don't know how to squat properly..............I'm telling them that ego is getting in the way of them doing that squat because of weights that are too heavy to handle or repetitions that are too high for them to accomplish.

IDEA Fitness member

You're 100% spot on here.
    Dudes squatting 300lbs and going 1/3 the way to parallel aren't squatting.

By contrast people that "bounce" on DLs and benches aren't doing it right either, but....
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I see all sorts of awful form at my gym.

I ignore it and focus on my workout.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member

IDEA Fitness member

I meant what I said to you in my first post.

My second post to you was just me trolling you :D

Certified Trollmaster
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    If you are going to tell people what they shouldn't do, at least have the decency to tell them or show them what they should do.

To anyone who wants to learn more about squatting, here are some helpful videos that are for all trainees, from bodybuilders, powerlifters to the general man or woman who wants to get fit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao (watch all 5 parts)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sg6wacNtDo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpg3ChPzrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnoaEjvPeBg

Thanks! I
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    I was doing some *kitten* to the grass squats last week with 150kg. Its not the best in the world but its still pretty heavy. A tall guy smaller than me came up and asked if I was done. I was unracking the weights for him and he told me to leave them on. Added another couple of 20kg plates and without warming up proceeded to do about 3 inch squats. lol Talk about bad on the knees. He wouldn't listen.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    I see all sorts of awful form at my gym.

I ignore it and focus on my workout.

Indeed. Same here. I couldn't give a **** if they want to squat on one leg back to front while reading a book. It's their workout, I'm there to do mine, not check out other people's form.

That said, I am not a professional. If I were, then maybe it would grind my gears when I saw people on a daily basis not doing a basic exercise correctly?
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Super squat machine and hack squats are good to throw into the mix. You can do squats facing out and deadlifts facing in.
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    My problem is I go too low sometimes and lose the rebound action.

If your knees track over your feet properly that's impossible. You should have a little bounce at the bottom where your calves and hamstrings meet. also if your lower back and hamstrings are tight you might lose all your power out of the hole because your butt will round under which pushes your torso forward and you almost have to good morning the weight up first.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Bump, so I can watch the videos when I'm fully awake.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Don't use weight that you can't do for at least a decent squat.

Daily I see men and women put weight on a bar and basically "curtsy" thinking they are doing a squat. Get over it. Throw the ego out the door.

And for the squat challenges...................if you aren't doing a full squat with just your body weight, then those 250 quarter squats were an effort for ego.

IDEA Fitness member

Repped
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Half squats strain the knees and are what have given the exercise it's bad reputation.