Atkins - Does it work? How much did you lose on Induction?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My daughter did it 5 years ago and had great success, lost 65 pounds! And guess what!?!?!? She has kept it OFF! every last pound. She still follows a lower carb diet too! Good luck!
  • girlongoing
    girlongoing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm on a ketogenic diet which is pretty much atkins induction (limit of 20g of carbs give or take) but i dont restrict nuts or seeds like atkins says.
    i've been on it now for 39 days and i've lost 14 pounds! i wasnt that heavy either. i went from 5'5'' 155 lbs to 140.9 in just over 5 weeks. some people go through keto flu which is what a lot of people are talking about when they say they feel crappy, tired, irritable, etc. but if you're doing it right it should subside in a few days. a lot of people even experience increased energy and mental clarity on a ketogenic diet. no diet has ever worked as well for me before so i am a total advocate for those struggling to lose weight to just try it out!
    to the person who said its monotonous, it doesnt have to be! theres a low carb replacement for nearly everything you can think of and i'm probably eating more variety now than when i was just eating pizza, cookies, and pasta everyday.
    i'm also not starving like i was when i was restricting calories on a high carb diet. i was always super hungry and miserable when limiting my calories to 1,100-1,300 calories a day (nutrisystem) and frequently cheated because i was so deprived. now i eat on average around 1,300 calories a day and i'm always satiated from all the fat i eat and never feel the urge to binge which is awesome.
    if anyone's interested in starting keto you can message me or check on /r/keto on reddit
  • bonniebrastile
    bonniebrastile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I felt horrible and when I stopped gained it all back plus more. I know a lot of people are going to be against taking pills but I recently had a Hysterectomy in December if 2013 I gained 22 piunds in 3 months I also have Asthma I was at the point where I was using my inhailer every day. My doctor put me on a diet pill I have lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks I am only going to use this for a month then it's back to eating healthy and back to ky usual routine but I must say I have never felt this good in 3 years. No depression, I have so much energy I can exercise longer. I did this 3 years ago and kept all the weight off up until my Hysterectomy.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I only make dietary changes that I know I can do indefinitely. Low carbs is not something I can do indefinitely.

I eat the same stuff I was eating before, just with smaller portions.

You may have better results by going low carb, but make sure it is something that you can do for the long term. Good luck!

So much this. If i make a change i say "Would i be happy doing this forever?" So, i havent changed much, just simple changes. Skimmed milk, no difference. Half spoon sugar, no difference. And now everything i buy has to justify 4 fields. Cost, taste, calories, time spent eating. If it hits all those, i buy it. I wont have small things like cupcakes, or cakes in general, as although they are cheap, and nice, they are high cals and take bugger all time to eat. I want to get the most for my calorific buck!
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do whatever is right for you, whatever works for you. If you can't sustain it then do something different. My doctor advised me to try a low carb diet as this might help my menopausal symptoms. A lovely side effect is that I have started losing weight again after being stalled for many months. I'm not feeling hungry all the time and am not craving anything. As for the whole Atkins thing, I've never tried it and have no intention of doing so.
  • NickiMassage
    Options
    I just started on the 24th and i have already lost 11lbs and i am still having a soda here and there.... but my best friend can already tell where i have lost the weight... its cool.. but its a life time commitment.
  • knatale89
    knatale89 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe the Atkins diet does work and it works especially well if you follow it correctly. On Induction (Phase 1) I typically loose 15 lbs which is a HUGE motivator for me I need to see results rapidly in order to be motivated enough to continue on my diet. I did this 2 years ago lost the weight kept it off for a few months got stressed at work than started eating bread and all the carbs the atkins doesn't allow and boom all the weight came back plus like a previous commentor wrote. So this brings us to today i just started the diet again on Tuesday, I have been doing well the past 2 days. I will say that it is hard to find something to eat after the first couple of days you realize you can't just have a sandwich or chicken and rice but like I said I know when I hit the scale in a week or so I'll be ok. I convinced a girl I work with to do it and in just 1 week she has lost 5 lbs. So good luck and I recommend like someone else said do it to get the weight off and reach your goal than switch to an easier diet to follow for the rest of your life make it a lifestyle.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Well, the science behind a low-carb diet shows that it works. It's difficult for the body to burn fat effectively if your insulin is constantly elevated from carb-dense foods. Cutting calories overall by calorie counting or whatever also happens to lower your carbs which is why you are able to lose weight.

I want to do a true low-carb diet to enter ketosis but I don't think I can give up fruit. I have already cut out nearly all processed foods, starches, refined sugar and grains. Fruit is pretty much the only thing keeping my daily carb intake above 100g. I wonder if it's beneficial to lower my carbs further but not enough to where I have to cut out fruit completely.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I want to do a true low-carb diet to enter ketosis but I don't think I can give up fruit.

Maybe eating human portions of fruit rather than gorilla sized would be a start. A pound of strawberries at a sitting - really ?

I'm low carb and have berries regularly, but the amount of fruit you're eating is frankly mental.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm on my own version of Atkins. I still eat fruit. I don't eat pounds of if, but if I want a banana or strawberries, I eat them. I think you can still be succesful doing Atkins if it works for you.

I have blood sugar issues and it works for me. I don't miss bread or chips as I never really eat much of them. Cheese I can have which is why this works for me. I can't be on a diet that makes me give up cheese...
  • fat2fit4good
    fat2fit4good Posts: 154
    Options
    I just started Atkins again. I did it a few years ago and it sure works to REALLY kickstart your weight loss. The problem is you have to ease your way into eating some carbs after the strict induction phase (nuts, some fruits, some whole grains in moderation), but instead a lot of people lose the weight during induction, claim victory and then go straight back to cereal, toast, pizza and bread. If you do that, you wasted your time. Doing that simply switches your metabolism to its old ways with a vengeance, insulin levels spike, hunger pangs return, etc.. doing this is probably worse for you than not doing any diet at all. I did this, and I paid for it.

I plan to use the induction phase to kickstart weight loss and *****slap my metabolism into burning some of my plentiful fat deposits... then slowly ease my way into phase 2 for a while. I have never had a sweet tooth, so eventually I'd like to just get all my carbs from salads, fruits, nuts (no bread, pasta, sweets, etc...)

I feel fantastic (after some initial greasy gaggy disgusting days...), and the weight is coming off quick. This is really encouraging so far. Wish me luck!!! and feel free to add me if you need low carb buddies! I hope to have a good "after" picture to add to the monstruosity currently on my profile that smacks me on the forehead everytime I log in!!! :-)
  • prodigalgen1us
    Options
    thinkin of doin this. actually i started 2 days ago..i'm having a hard time..due to the fact that i do intense weight lifting..eats alot of protein.i'll see in 2 weeks.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what's everyone's verdict on Atkins? I plan to use Atkins until I reach my goal weight and then to follow the Zone for maintenance.

I'm 5ft2, currently weigh just under 140lbs and want to get under 120lbs. Heaviest weight was around 175lbs.

Can anyone share their weight loss progress using Atkins?

Of course Atkins works. Due to the food you eat it helps you intuitively eat in a calorie deficit and reduces carb craving.

If its followed correctly, It will work for everyone.

Is it sustainable for everyone - no, but then again neither is restricted calorie counting.

It's health, so if you are interested give it ago. Anyone else's experience at eating it doesn't mean diddly squat, as we are all different and all find different things easier or harder 0 do your own n=1 study.

Good luck.
  • maureenmusiclover
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN ON ATKINS INDUCTION FOR 5 DAYS - I HAVE LOST 7 LBS SO FAR - Have had to adapt it to suit me and to comply with rules regarding total carb intake - I love my coffee and chose to use my cream allowance in coffee - tried day 1 a breakfast of ham & hard-boiled egg - too much for me - I just don't like a big breakfast - so had 2 cups of coffee for the other 4 days breakfast. I nibbled on a slice of ham for lunch and had bacon and fried egg for dinner 1 night and leg of chicken on the other 3 nights + sugar free jelly - (will have chicken & jelly tonight also ) inbetween meals I have been drinking carbonated water with a hint of peach - 1 carb per small bottle - HAVE NOT FELT HUNGRY AT ALL.:::smile:
  • rp0383
    rp0383 Posts: 1
    Options
    Aside from weight loss...

1) Atkins is almost always seen as "no carb". Like saying that joining the military is 4 years of boot camp. In reality, Atkins phase 4 has plenty of carbs even though it is still low by most of our standards.
    2) Every person has to find their diet. And we need to not condemn others when they find something that works for them.
    3) For me, 'Atkins' is the ONLY way I have found to control my ridiculous triglycerides. Good levels are between 0 and 150. Mine are around 1,200. Yep. With medication they drop to 675 or so. If I go on "Atkins" for 2 weeks, they come in below 200. By the end of the two weeks I feel very stable and my appetite is stable and my energy is stable and my sleep is good and my mind is good. I DO get bored of the food and that's a big problem. When I start eating carbs again it is very hard to stop, In other words, if I each 5 tortilla chips, I tend to eat an entire bag. It's not weakmindedness or lazy. It's a true chemical addiction. I will have to be very careful the rest of my life. Atkins is not for everyone. But it has taught me a lot about paying attention to what I eat. And to make connections to the way I feel based on what I eat. My recommendation is to limit carbs but do so by finding what you can eat that doesn't trigger you. I can eat watermelon and cantaloupe without experiencing what I do with tortilla chips. Also, I like to run when I am light enough. It is very difficult to run too far when doing the phase 1 of Atkins. So overall, Atkins can be a learning experience but will still have to be customized.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I hated Atkins and was wildly unsuccessful on it. I felt heavy and tired and awful. Paleo is better if you want to go low carb, fresh fruit is not the enemy!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I hated Atkins and was wildly unsuccessful on it. I felt heavy and tired and awful. Paleo is better if you want to go low carb, fresh fruit is not the enemy!

fresh fruit isn't an enemy on atkins either, it's just restricted for the first couple of weeks. even then, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are allowed in moderation.
  • Operationweddings
    Operationweddings Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did atkins for around 4 weeks to kick start my weightloss. I lost 7lb on induction and 1-3lb a week following. I felt normal but couldn't keep eating all that grease! So now I'm on modified atkins, I just grill/foreman my meat and poach/scramble my eggs. It's a bit like a diet a Dr would give you as a diabetic. It's working for me, I've lost 37lb total but around 13lb of that was 4 week atkins. 37lb from April 25th AND I've had planned off days ( birthdays, meals out etc ) I feel it's something I could stick to long term :-)