Calorie deficit, fat loss, muscle maintenance

Options
How do I lose fat and maintain muscle on a calorie deficit?

I have a general idea, but I'd like to hear more specific thoughts.

Replies

• Farrahrm
    Farrahrm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I didn't go into a huge deficit. I currently eat 1600, more on some days. I lift heavy once a week and do about 2 + hours of cardio with high resistance. I try to keep my protein intake high.

When I started losing back in December I finally reached my max bench press goal of 200 lbs. I have a lot of lean body weight and wanted to maintain it. I have lost a lot and currently my bench has went up to 205! So I can finally say I bench more than I weigh. ;).

I read a lot about it, and most reliable sources that I had read said to maintain resistance exercise, and have a higher caloric proportion from protein than the typical diet. This is just what worked for me though, and since I had similar concerns, wanted to share.

Good luck.
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options
    Eat at fairly small deficit (no more than 20% if you're obese; no more than 10-15% if you don't have as much to lose). Lift heavy 2-3 times a week. Do cardio if you'd like but heavy cardio isn't required. I'm currently eating at TDEE-20% which is about 2000 calories for me. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women (in stage 1 right now), so I'm lifting 3x a week. I'm training for a 10K because running is something that I enjoy, so I'm running 3x a week as well. As part of my daily activities as a stay at home mom I do a lot of walking, running around, carrying heavy things (children, laundry, etc), and that's all factored into my TDEE.

Check out this post (and group) for lots of info and help to get everything figured out and set up. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet