Getting back on track

Options
I was 210lbs and very fit 3 years ago, since then I wasdiagnosed with a spinal cord desease and can barely use my legs and left arm. Currently I'm 270lbs due to depression and lack of exercise. I'm tired of the way I look and the depression that goes with this so I intend on trying to fight back. I've started eating better and using resistance bands in a circuit to exercise. Just starting and it is hard, but I cannot afford to quit or fail losing weight.

Replies

• bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression some years ago and the first thing my doctor recommended was not antidepressants, but exercise. Once you start getting into to it, you will find that the endorphins produced by working out really do improve your overall mood. I hate missing a workout now.
    You've taken the first couple of steps--admitting there is a problem and starting to do something about it. Congratulations! If you haven't done this yet, I recommend (if your finances allow,) meeting with a personal trainer or physiotherapist to get some professional advice about which exercises you can safely do and what to avoid. That may help you reach your goals more effectively.
    This is a great site for motivation and support, I've found some very helpful and encouraging friends on here. I wish you the best of luck and hope for your continued success.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I went through similar emotions/struggles when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2009. It took a while to get used to the medicine (that I still take), the new lifestyle (had to quit work and going to school), not being able to have children, and the feeling that my body had turned against me. I gained weight over the last several years, although I do love to eat healthy, so it was only about a 20-30 lb gain - but still it didn't help with the depression. Also, I lost a lot of my muscle because I used to play sports and workout too. I have decided this is my comeback year. I don't know why it took so long to realize it, but there are still things in my control.

We may not have the "healthiest" bodies in the world, but we have a mindset that no illness gets to take away. I wish you the best of luck in your exercise endeavors!!! Take a break if you ever need it, but please don't give up - you can reach your goals!! :smile:
  • tedjrake3
    tedjrake3 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yah, I got your back. Lets make this happen
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    thanks, for the support, just the accountability will be helpful :)
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    Back in town and ate great all week, looking forward to a weigh in on sunday
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a nice, safe trip!! Welcome back and way to stay on track with your food! :smile:
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    Thanks....Im down 6 pounds since I started
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    OK. I started getting very bad physically and got really depressed, I stopped doing everything and just withdrew. Since then I'm happy to say I'm down 47lbs and about 10-20lbs from my goal. I started learning about holistic nutrition and it has been a life changer. My goal by the way is 200-210, I haven't been that weight in 25 years :) What a way to turn 44 (3 months away).
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    Thanks Roseydo :)
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OK. I started getting very bad physically and got really depressed, I stopped doing everything and just withdrew. Since then I'm happy to say I'm down 47lbs and about 10-20lbs from my goal. I started learning about holistic nutrition and it has been a life changer. My goal by the way is 200-210, I haven't been that weight in 25 years :) What a way to turn 44 (3 months away).

Oh wow. Awesome. Keep going. You can do it. :)