Sodium levels

Options
Hi I'm finding that fairly regularly, if I don't eat processed foods, my sodium intake is less than the target for the day. Is that a bad thing? I know too much salt helps you retain water and way too little is also bad but is it an issue?
Thanks

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. 2500mg is the max any healthy adult should get. Also long as you're getting 500mgs a day, you're fine.

*has high blood pressure, did all the research*
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    NO!
    The sodium here should be a maximum. The National Academy of Sciences recommends a minimum of 500 mg (see http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health/Human-salt-requirements).

Where you should be getting red flags is if you're exceeding the maximum on a regular basis.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm finding that fairly regularly, if I don't eat processed foods, my sodium intake is less than the target for the day. Is that a bad thing? I know too much salt helps you retain water and way too little is also bad but is it an issue?
    Thanks

It's a very good thing! I aim for less than 1800 and achieve it most days. I don't have health issues but too much sodium and I gain, even at 2500, I will show a gain and I drink a lot of water to help get rid of excess.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That is good thing!!!!