Hi! Critique me :)

Options
Today is day 1 for me, so my diary reflects a fairly "normal" day of eating for me--no real efforts to restrict or eat the right foods. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but I'm putting it all out there from the start. I know I need accountability to bring about change, so I invite anyone to look at my first diary entry from today and give me suggestions! Apparently I need to chill on my fat intake, but other suggestions/advice are welcome too. MFP has set me at 1590 cals/day so that I can lose 1/2 lb./week.

Also would love some friends, of course! I just turned 27, I'm 5'6.5", and I'm around 134 pounds. I'd like to lose a few pounds and just feel better on a daily basis!

Nice to meet you all :)

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy. Dietary fat is fine as long as you watch your overall intake. I think you did great on protein, by the way. Overall, it looks like a pretty good day. If I were going to offer one piece of advice, it would be this: don't be afraid to eat back at least some of those exercise calories. You've got to fuel that machine and it actually works better for most people in the long run.

ETA: Welcome! Give the MFP way a chance. It does work if you let it!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    SINCE YOU ASKED...Personally, I think you need more protein from meat/ chicken/ fish, etc. cutting back on Carbs seems to have the biggest impact on me losing weight (or not) I don't really worry about sodium, so I don't track it.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't want to turn this into an argument, as generally I agree that cutting carbs somewhat may lead to faster weight loss, but at what price? As far as your protein intake, the 2 recommendations I've seen for dieters from reputable sources puts the range between .7-1g per pound of lean mass, or 1.4 to 2 g per kg of overall body weight. It is absolutely critical to your overall fat loss strategy to get sufficient protein to minimize muscle loss.

In either case, you're well within those recommendation and probably doing 100% more than most of the people on this site. > ~100 grams for a 5'6" woman is excellent. Again, good job!
  • 8breatheout8
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback. It's good to know I'm not totally off track... I do love my carbs (who doesn't) but I know protein is the way to go when it comes to building muscle and feeling fuller longer. I'll do my best to eat back those exercise cals (I've already seen so many debates on this site about whether or not to do so)--it's just that I finished exercising around 8pm, so by the time I was done I was mostly ready to turn in for the night. Yes, at 8pm on a Saturday.. I'm 27 going on 70.. :)

Thanks again!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read your post and diary entry and was surprised at your concern because it seems like its all good.
    I don't think you have much to worry about here. With a high protein intake just make sure you drink your water and keep your fibre up to keep things moving. Keep up the fruits and veggies to avoid vitamin/mineral cravings, too :)
    Good luck !
  • rawlingstl
    rawlingstl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think your macros look pretty good. That takes care of 70-80% of your process. The remaining comes from working out. Lift heavy to tone and and don't forget the cardio. It also helps to have people hold you accountable either on here or at home. Keep up the good work.