So much pain..

Options
Hey guys, I didn't know if this was the place to post this (I'm new here!). I've started working out for around 2 weeks now, I've lost 8lbs in 2 weeks, and I've started jogging for about an hour for 3-5 days in a week, regular jump-roping (moderately) for about 20 minutes a day for the past 3 days, and not to mention the "30 day Squat Challenge" on day 2, but could NOT manage to do even one, because of extreme pain all over my body.

I also ride my bike, walk for about 2 hours a day, and do anything that involves getting my butt off of playing COD on Xbox -_- Regardless, one or two day breaks don't stop the pain, and i am unable to continue my workouts, but even though it hurts so bad (literally takes me 10 minutes to go down the staircase).

I don't stop working out and I'm worried this pain wont go away (especially in my legs and upper thighs). I will visit my doctor soon, but in the meantime, what am i dong wrong?

Replies

• gsc560
    gsc560 Posts: 11
    Options
    Not sure, but I used to get the pain going down the staircase after really hard 10K runs when I wasn't quite prepared. Both the quads and hamstrings are working hard when you go down stairs. Might be useful to run less and walk a bit more until your body gets used to it, or ride the bike a bit more instead. Lunges and squats are hard to do if you are sore from running and if you aren't used to doing them, you will be sore afterwards for a while (3, 4, to 5 days). Good luck, I hope you feel better!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would hazard that you are over doing it too early.

Especially on the running for an hour. Not sure how much weight you are carrying, but I would slow it down to half hour every other day and make sure you have NEW RUNNING SHOES that are properly fitted for your feet. Also make sure you are using proper form. I'm not big on rest days once you get into a routine, but if you are just starting running it is a good idea and I suggest you take it way slower pace than you think is slow and mix some walking in during your session.

If you have pain in your knees, I would recommend to stop lunges and when your doing squats make sure you have proper form.

Google or youtube "proper form". Plenty of good info out there.

Good luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You're going crazy on exercise. Back way way off. Ease into it. Give your muscles time to repair. You're beating ourself up. Before your body repairs, you go tear it down more. If you don't stop, you might do some serious damage. Do one thing every other day for a while. Don't bike, and run, and jump rope, and a squat challenge, and a DVD. That's crazy. I can't ven do all that and I'm pretty fit.

This.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You are also eating only about 600 calories a day according to your diary. Have your doctor check for a vitamin deficiency. Eating so little and exercising so much is not at all healthy!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Linking at your diary and what you say eat more and exercise less.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Please read your inbox and respond.

Daniel
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You're going crazy on exercise. Back way way off. Ease into it. Give your muscles time to repair. You're beating ourself up. Before your body repairs, you go tear it down more. If you don't stop, you might do some serious damage. Do one thing every other day for a while. Don't bike, and run, and jump rope, and a squat challenge, and a DVD. That's crazy. I can't ven do all that and I'm pretty fit.

This.

This!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You're doing too much, too soon, with insufficient fuel and insufficient rest period.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I applaud your eagerness, but I also find myself compelled to echo the sentiment that you're likely doing too much too soon.

Especially when you're starting out, you'll really want to have a rest day every-other-day. Let your body gradually adapt to the new loads you're putting it under.

It might be a good idea to keep your dedicted exercise to a Monday-Wednesday-Friday type schedule, or at least make sure you give each muscle group a day off between workouts. That's where we get people who will have a "leg day", an "arm day", a "core day", etc. By breaking it up like that, they make sure their muscles have time to recover after being strained. Resting and recovery is as important to the process as the workout, itself.

In my case, I've been a regular face in various gyms for ten years now, and I've been in the military for seven, and even I don't work out as much as you are right now. Even though I work out 5 days a week, it's usually only between an hour and an hour and a half, total for both cardio and resistance training.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    LMFAO I've heard of the 30 d squat challenge.... Lol after one day of leg workouts my lower body is out of commission for at least 4 days due to DOMS the following days.... I understand why you are in pain for the second day on your legs :laugh:
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Waaaay overdoing it. Your body isn't used to recovering fast enough for the amount of exercise you're doing. The mind is willing but the body isn't able at this point. Initially when you start working out it's common for muscle soreness to last for days...... even a week. It's ok though. Take a few days off and load up on protein. Shakes, lean meat, fish, etc. are all good sources for protein. Protein will help your muscle recovery. Berries are good for inflammation. Blueberries, blackberries, etc. are showing up in supermarkets so take hold and eat up. Take a week off if you need. You want to heal before you go back at it. I know it sucks, but it's what you gotta do. If you continue to overtrain you may wind up taking several weeks or even months off to recover. Don't let it get to that. Now, the more you exercise, recover, exercise, recover, the better your body gets at the recover part. So not only does your exercise get better and more intense, but so does recovery. You could even overtrain to the point of not wanting to do it anymore. It happens. If I keep my mileage to 15-20 a week I'm ok. As soon as I step up over that I get burnt out and don't want to run anymore. Happens every time.
  • jadedjade24
    jadedjade24 Posts: 127
    Options
    you're over doing it. But remember, your body not only needs the rest, you also have to feed it what it needs to repair all the damage you are doing. Once you get use to all the activity, your body will bounce back more quickly. For example, yesterday I did Hip Hop Sweat, and it use to kill me. My thighs would hurt, my legs would scream in pain....but I was pleasantly surprised when I got up this morning and had to go down three flights of stairs that my legs didnt hurt. And they havent bothered me all day either.

As you get more into fitness and your body gets use to it, the pain will ease off a little, until you push yourself in something you are not use to again.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with doing to much so don't listen to these people. You jut began working out and your body is using muscles that it hasnt needed to uses in the pass and you are just feeling the pains from it.

ways to make the pain go away

1. sauna or steam room after you workouts
    2. foam rollers
    3. continue to workout

the same things happens to everyone when they begin something new happened to me when first attempted kettle bells happened to me after my first spinning class.

but i can assure you if you keep working out you will find yourself getting stronger and in better physical condition

btw it is fine to workout everyday just try not to do the same routine daily
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with doing to much so don't listen to these people. You jut began working out and your body is using muscles that it hasnt needed to uses in the pass and you are just feeling the pains from it.

"These people" actually know what they are talking about...
    OP, it's been said - it's up to you to listen or not....You are eating between 600 and 800 calories per day, and completely overdoing the exercise...
    WHY? It is eating disorder behaviour - get some help and do what "these people" (except the biggest loser bright spark) told you....Eat more, do a little less - you are hurting yourself.....
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

OP, it's been said - it's up to you to listen or not....You are eating between 600 and 800 calories per day, and completely overdoing the exercise...
    WHY? It is eating disorder behaviour - get some help and do what "these people" (except the biggest loser bright spark) told you....Eat more, do a little less - you are hurting yourself.....

i workout 7 days a week sometimes twice a day and the only time i feel pain is when i try a new routine that i am not use to.

go on youtube and listen to what CT fletcher has to say about overtraining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmQ7Vk7Wpk
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

i workout 7 days a week sometimes twice a day and the only time i feel pain is when i try a new routine that i am not use to.

Do you also only eat 800 calories a day, and not eat back exercise calories, as the OP has revealed in another thread?

I love how you are so fast to dismiss almost everyone in this thread.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Really, you are encouraging someone new to working out, to carry on exercising for 3-4 hours a day, on less than 800 calories?
    Seriously. Get a grip.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Is it pain or soreness??? Big difference... also, yes it does sound like you are doing way too much...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You are not fueling your body properly due to your extremely low calorie intake. That can cause issues with muscles, organs, etc and cause you to be more prone to injury.