Hominy ideas????

Options
amk44
amk44 Posts: 159
You guys have given me some great ideas in the past, so I'm hoping you can help me out again. When my daughter moved, she left several food items with us to use up. Well, one of the items is a 40 oz can of Mexican Style Hominy. Any ideas how to use it? I've never had hominy and don't know how to use it. My husband doesn't like anything hot/spicy, and I try to make foods that we can both eat. Does anyone have a non-spicy, healthy or lowcal recipe that uses hominy? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    OMG I hate hominy!! Really just chuck it hahaha!!
  • BrahminsDad
    BrahminsDad Posts: 22
    Options
    My wife makes a great posole. Traditionally Posole is made with pork or beef. Since she doesn't eat either of those, she uses chicken. She adds chicken broth, tomato sauce, chicken, celery, and carrots. She boils it all together as a soup. She tops the finished product with chopped scallions, chopped cilantro, lite sour cream, and we add hot sauce (but you won't want that). I don't think she uses a recipe per se. She just knows the amount of ingredients from what she discovered from trial and error. I have never calculated the nutrition facts from the ingredients, but there are no items here that have too many calories. It is high in sodium though. Good luck!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love hominy. You could put some in a pot of chili instead of corn.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You can fry pork chops or chicken well any meat be we used pork , fry until almost done then just pour the can of hominy in it and the liquid will cook out and fry the hominy with the meat if there's too much liquid just get rid of it