Nia Shanks Lift Like a Girl to start heavy lifting

Options
alsaxon
alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
Has anyone used it to start a heavy lifting program? I'm interested. I looked a stronglift, but seems I have to purchase something right away to get started and it seems like the moves revolve around the gym. All I have at this point are dumbells and a bar, so I need to be able to start there for now. I found Nia's site and seems very straightforward. You do have to purchase her guide as you advance but the information for beginners is free. Just wondering if anyone has used this program? How you used it? And how you progressed?

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/09/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide-lift-like-a-girl/

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used it to start a heavy lifting program? I'm interested. I looked a stronglift, but seems I have to purchase something right away to get started and it seems like the moves revolve around the gym. All I have at this point are dumbells and a bar, so I need to be able to start there for now. I found Nia's site and seems very straightforward. You do have to purchase her guide as you advance but the information for beginners is free. Just wondering if anyone has used this program? How you used it? And how you progressed?

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/09/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide-lift-like-a-girl/

I haven't used it, so I can't be of much help to you--SORRY! But I just wanted to assure you and anyone else reading that Nia is indeed the real deal. Awesome woman!

I think it's a great place for you to start....just make sure you're increasing the weight as you build strength so that the exercises remain challenging.

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    at first glance it seems like a good beginner program much like the others, not too different than starting strength or new rules of lifting.

you have an A and a B work out, and you alternate them three times a week. week 1 is A, B, A; week 2 is B, A, B and so on and so on. and it's a full body routine, with upper body and lower body exercises.

as far as the squat and dead lift variations... eh. regular squats and regular dead lifts are pretty good in my opoinion. why would you want to variate them? i mean, a squat to a box can be okay to help you get to parallel or lower, and then to help you with the upward part of the movement.

it's definetly something that you can do for the next few months as you get stronger. and you can learn about other programs (like 5/3/1) that are a bit more advanced.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    pretty good in my opoinion. why would you want to variate them? i mean, a squat to a box can be okay to help you get to parallel or lower, and then to help you with the upward part of the movement.

The box is an excellent learning tool, especially for someone who has never lifted. it gets people sitting back without the fear of falling backwards and because you can set the height to whatever you want you can guarantee their depth is consistent. I have taught a few people to squat and always used a box to start out with than take it away at a later date, it gives them one less thing to worry about when they start out.

It's a very generic program you can't really go wrong with and Her other advice is solid.