BMR Question

Options
I just have a quick question regarding BMR. On the BMR calculator on this site it says your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.

Using the BMR calculator my BMR is 2,007. But my daily allowance of calories is 1790. If I need 2007 calories just to keep my body functioning why am I only been given 1790 calories a day. Surely I'm in danger of going into starvation mode.

I'm sure theres a simple answer and one of you will let me know what that is but i'm just a bit confussed on this issue this morning.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    as far as i understand you are aiming to lose about a 500 calories a day so you lose 3500 a week or 1lb of fat/lean--there has to be a deficit to lose!
    My bmr is 1700 and my allowance is 1200 calories on here--for daily activities they say you need to add 500 to the base bmr-therefore 1700 plus 500 equals 2200 to live and work normally----it means i am losing 1000 calories a day or 7000 a week--which equates to 3500 x 2(from first paragraph)--i should lose 2lbs a week which i am doing and i am very close to my optimum target of a bmi of 23,0-there has to be a deficit---the lowest recommended calories a human can survive on is 1200 a day and that is how low the lowest number on here is!