Do you.....

Options

Just curious to know. I have seen a couple of pals pre-plan their meals so wanted to know if it works!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for an entire week so that I can be sure ahead of time that I am going to be eating my calorie goal as well as hitting my macro goals.

It also makes it much easier to go grocery shopping because I make my list straight from the plan. Saves money and time!

ETA: I have been much more successful at losing body fat by pre-logging than by winging it and logging what I ate afterwards.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Sometimes when I expect the day might be hectic, in order ot avoid going over calories I plan it. Sometimes, I try to plan according to my macros to try and get more protein in. Sometimes I just wing it and towards the end of the day, before dinner, try and see how many calories I got left and eat dinner according to that
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for an entire week so that I can be sure ahead of time that I am going to be eating my calorie goal as well as hitting my macro goals.

It also makes it much easier to go grocery shopping because I make my list straight from the plan. Saves money and time!

ETA: I have been much more successful at losing body fat by pre-logging than by winging it and logging what I ate afterwards.

Yup, I do exactly this ^^^ too!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of both

tonight I logged what I eat, however tomorrow we will have the same meal as tonight, so I log then eat
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log as much as I know in advance even up to a week in advance. Good way to make sure you use things up in the fridge too before their expiry date or they go bad if it's fruit/veg.
  • stephaniegcoffey
    stephaniegcoffey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whenever possible I pre plan and log the food for the day because it's much easier to stay within my goals for calories and macros. Once I know what I'll be eating for my main meals I log them, which lets me determine how many calories I have left for snacks.

On most week days this is fairly easy as I know what I'll be eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It can be a bit trickier on weekends, particularly if I am going out to eat, but it's not impossible. I think it's way easier to do it this way, rather than get to 5pm and realize you're out of calories for the day and spend the rest of the night obsessing about how you can't eat anything.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tend to micro-manage my logging, sometimes I don't finish logging until I finish my meal, other times I prelog so I know how much I will have left for the day. Today for instance I plan on going to a restaurant and I have already logged what I plan to eat. I use my calories like a daily budget, when I run out I stop eating, prelogging helps me make sure I don't run out of calories in the middle of a meal.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Most days I pre-plan, else I'll forget to eat. I'm notorious for that. Always remember my chocolate, though.

Sometimes I just wing it and make it up as I go along. Depends on how hungry I am, ie, if I logged meat for tommorow night's dinner but I get hungrier prior to that, I won't starve myself until dinner time - I'll eat something. Because I'm not stupid.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat, then log, with the exception of lunch. I pack my lunch to work every day, so after I make it in the morning I log it, and then plan my dinner.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    most days eat what I log in.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log in after I eat. However, I have now worked out mostly what my food calorie intake for each meal and I plan my foods the day before. So in one way it is a little of both. I dont like to be rigid but if I do eat more than I should, out goes the dog and me for a little extra exercise. :wink:
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i login what i eat!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log, but I stay flexible.

Pre-logging is nice because I can plan to hit my macros & calories. I can also see if I've eaten enough early in the day to support my workout.

But sometimes I'm not in the mood for what I pre-logged. So I'll change my log and see the effects. If I don't pre-log and I just eat what I want to then log it, that's when I can be surprised by what's in my choice and I blow the day (oh wellz)

As time goes on I am learning what foods I can sub for each other to hit my fats/carbs/proteins. At first it was really hard to hit my targets, but it's gotten easier as I get more experience.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Both. I am more disciplined pre-logging, however, especially when I was in my weight loss phase. :smile:
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast after I've eaten, at the same time I log my dinner so I can then plan a lunch or snacks depending on my day with the calories left. I always like to have a decent meal in the evening which is why I log this way.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I do both!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat what I log in. Sometimes I change it throughout the day, but I'm always in my calorie limit.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever until dinner, then I pre-log to make sure i don't go over...
    at least that's what I'm trying this week =P
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. I plan out my dinner menu's for the week and I then log it in. I usually eat the same three things for breakfast, just switch it up. Lunch can vary depending on whether I eat leftover's from dinner the night before or have a sandwich. If my family is eating something for dinner that I know I shouldn't (like beef, I try to only eat red meat once a week) then I plan on either tilapia or turkey burger for my dinner.

Pre-logging keeps me accountable, helps me to know how much I can eat (depending on if it was a gym day) and what I can fit in for my snacks. I haven't banned any foods, I still eat cookies, sweets, and ice cream as long as they fit into my calories for the day but again, not every day. Occasionally I go over, but not too often but I don't beat myself up over it.