Protein bars/shakes & running

Options
Hi all, Ive searched for this topic but lots of meal replacement stuff came up. If there is already stuff relating to my question please point me in the right direction :0)

I've been running for about 4months now and loving it. I try to run 4x a week and am currently covering 20k+ a week (some weeks more some around the 20 mark). At a recent race I attended they gave out after exercise protein shake sachets: are these worth taking regularly to supplement my body?

I dont want to meal replace as I like food and its a big pleasure if my day but want to ensure I am fuelling my body sufficiently :0)
(I did try a protein bar after another 10k race I did but only ate half as it wasnt nice lol)

Thanks for reading, and if there is already topics related to this please send me the right way :0)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You should be getting adequate amounts of protein in your diet. Carbs are definitely important for runners, but protein is important too. It's recommended that you get at least 0.8g of protein per 1lb of lean mass.

Some people are able to meet this goal by careful food planning. They eat plenty of meat, dairy and other protein sources. Some people find that they cannot meet their goal without supplementing (I fall into this category frequently) and use protein shakes and bars to help up their protein intake.

I don't replace meals with protein shakes or bars, but I do use them as snacks. They work well for me - they give me quite a bit of protein for the number of calories I'm consuming and they generally taste pretty good. I like the Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter. Mixed with milk it tastes great and satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i do a mix with almond milk, rocky road protein mix, and a banana. i drink this between work and the gym. i will still have a normal breakfast and lunch at work. but if i dont out smart myself and go straight to the gym after work, ill come home and never leave. i find myself hungry between work and dinner. so it helps ward off hunger and im able to concentrate on the exercise. i also have double chocolate protein bars in the cabinet for snacks.

my boyfriend is a slim guy and doesnt need meal replacements. but he is also a runner and will do protein powder mixes before and after a workout or a run. when i first started to lose weight, he was losing too. so he had to add something. it also helps with muscle repair and gives you the recommended daily protein that you sometimes dont get out of a regular diet. he loves to run. but does not want the runners body.
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replies. I think I will nip to my local running shop and have a chat next weekend. Looking at my protein intake I don't think that I am getting enough so it will definately help :0)