What to do the day after a cheat day?

Options
Yesterday I totally pigged out. I had waffles for breakfast. A pizza, pasta, and salad buffet for lunch. A frappucino. A few mini candy bars. Taco Bell. Then when I got home more candy. Oh my god I never felt so guilty, but hey it was the weekend and I was out with my family and I have been sticking to my calorie limit for about a month now. Anyways it is now the day after. What do I do? Do I go back to eating 1200 calories today? Should I eat less than that? Should I not eat at all to make up for yesterday? (By the way I do not plan on ever binging this bad again. I feel so guilty)

Replies

• EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just start again, don't go under or over your calories and try to add a work out in :)
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just start again, don't go under or over your calories and try to add a work out in :)

This
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    If you ate just under your TDEE you might not feel the need to have cheat days that make you feel guilty perhaps? There is no need to stick to 1200 to lose weight. It's too restrictive for most people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    one meal or day did not undo any hard work you've already done.

you know what you did? you fueled up for todays work out.
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you ate just under your TDEE you might not feel the need to have cheat days that make you feel guilty perhaps? There is no need to stick to 1200 to lose weight. It's too restrictive for most people.
    i agree. Certainly dont eat under your calorie goal and DO NOT "not eat" that will not achieve anything good
    you'll be fine
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less today because of yesterday, just eat your usual 1200, drink lots of water and exercise. It take 3500 calories to gain a pound, I don't think you did :wink:
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less today because of yesterday, just eat your usual 1200, drink lots of water and exercise. It take 3500 calories to gain a pound, I don't think you did :wink:

it takes 3500 calories extra above your 1200 usual maintenance so unless you ate 4700 then you're absoloutely fine! besides what is 1lb :P

enjoy food! :flowerforyou:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat as usual and put iin an extra 30 minutes on the Eliptical/treadmill.
    It is an average of what you eat all week. One day will not hurt unless you do it every day.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and stick with good fats, protein and veggies only today (no sugars, starch or processed foods) . Fasting not recommended.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    One day will not make or break you.... Just get back on point, eat like you normally would, get in a good workout, and move on..... Best of Luck....
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your cheat day because it may be what keeps you on track. I would make sure to drink extra water today. I always seem to do that after cheat foods. At least it makes me feel as if I'm flushing all the evil out....lol But seriously, after pizza and such you should really be drinking a lot today because those foods are high in sodium. You do want to help your body flush that out and keep you from retaining water as well. If today isn't a normal workout day for you then I'd go for a nice walk. It'll help burn a few extra calories and get your metabolism a kick.

Cheat days are just that, cheating. Have you allowed for "cheat" days in your plan to lose weight or was this truly cheating? You would hate it if somebody cheated you out of something, so why cheat yourself? That said, I cheat too but it's usually based off a craving. I'll find I crave steak if I'm low on protein for the day and I'll crave donuts if I haven't been ingesting any carbs and have been working out. I'll indulge a bit and usually feel better.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Stop ......

Do better .......

:drinker:
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water and stick with good fats, protein and veggies only today (no sugars, starch or processed foods) . Fasting not recommended.

^This!
    Lots of water will help flush that excess sodium...it is only one day (but don't make it a week!!!)
    Best wishes for your success!
  • cathyc15
    cathyc15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that! I've found the best way is to do what mostly everyone else has said, tomorrow just continue with what you have been doing all the other days. I know for me the more I stress and obsess over it, the more tendency I have to do it again sooner because I'm an emotional eater (like a lot of people out there). If I don't think twice about it and just start the next day like normal then I'm all good :) we're all human, and there's no need to beat yourself up over it. Life is meant to be enjoyed. As long as you keep motivated and in a positive mindset when you get back on track tomorrow, then today won't make a difference at all :)
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine as long as days like this are (very) few and far between. Certainly no need to starve yourself as "punishment"; and if you work out, you can do little extra the day after - more symbolic and psychological than anything else - but it helps draw a line under it.
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine as long as days like this are (very) few and far between. Certainly no need to starve yourself as "punishment"; and if you work out, you can do little extra the day after - more symbolic and psychological than anything else - but it helps draw a line under it.

BRAVO!
    Hit the nail right on the head! :flowerforyou:
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself and you won't feel guilty when your body is doing what it has to (so called bingeing) to get the nutrition it needs.
  • 3monthsfromnow
    Options
    I have cheat day once a week....and I always regret cause' the day after cheat day is the worst...but here are some tips that could actually help..

Drink HEAPS of water..
    3-5 cups of green tea
    move on...don't get depressed over what you ate..
    eat small meals thru out the day..
    go for a walk..
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    one meal or day did not undo any hard work you've already done.

you know what you did? you fueled up for todays work out.

Best answer. I love runs/mountain biking the day after an evening of pizza/candy/beer...all that sugar in my system makes it possible to kick cheeks and set a few PRs.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Agreed