To move a Marathon...in 14 days

Options
I watch the biggest loser and feel so inspired when they finish the marathon. I know with all of my aches and pains that finishing a marathon seems imposible. So I have decide to move the distance of a marathon (26.2 miles) in two weeks.
My plan is to:
walk 11.2 miles
and bike 15 miles.

If anyone would like to join me I would be happy for the company.

completed 5/27/10: 3 miles walking the dog.

23.2 miles left to go.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I can join you! My treadmill has been a little lonely lately.

It's only 4:30 AM here but after work I will start!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was going to bike into work and get 2.6 miles done, but it is still hot and sticky around here. Hate to show up at work and be dripping sweat on everybody. Maybe when I get home I will get the bike out.
  • robin52077
    Options
    I walked for 5 miles outside today, the weather is low 70s and slightly breezy, just perfect!

Day1: 5/27 - 5 miles

21.2 miles to go!
  • robin52077
    Options
    Day 2: 5/28 - 3.1 miles
    18.1 miles to go!

Ran/walked 3.1 miles (5K) on the treadmill.

You still with me? :wink:

Anyone else wanna try? You can start your day 1 whatever day you want!
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start tomorrow morning. I will run 26.2 miles over the next two weeks.

I'll check in with my mileage after every run (which will be able every other day).
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    I am still with you.

I walked 3 miles yesterday with the dog
    and 3miles today with the husband and dog.
    so 6 more miles down.

17.2 miles left
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    walked another 3miles with the dog.

14.2 miles left. :smile:
  • tonskee
    tonskee Posts: 12
    Options
    it's funny that you mention wanting to do a marathon after having watched daris, koli, michael and ashley finish 26.2 miles because I felt the same way after that episode. The very next day I signed up for the SF Marathon which is July 25th. I've never ran more than 3 miles in my life before signing up for the marathon but since then I've been running 10 miles nonstop. Those guys are such an inspiration. Good luck with moving a marathon.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Day 5: 5/31 - 3.8 miles (bike)
    14.3 miles to go!
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    Monday 1.5 miles with dog
    Tuesday 3.0 miles with the dog

9.7 miles to go
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    biked 2.6 miles to work and back.

7.1 miles to go!!!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I missed the episode where they did the marathon, did they run it? If not, I feel kinda "meh" about it. With Jillian and Bob riding on them all day is it really any different than what they would do in the course of their training schedule? Maybe I'm too cynical...in any event, I'm so proud of them for the weight they have lost!

Good luck with your marathon! It's my goal too!
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    Haha, the day after I posted I'd do this, I layed on the couch all day ill. Well, I did run on Monday morning, but only 1.3 miles (it was a brick workout, in which I biked 15 miles, then immediately ran). It was soo hot by the time I got to the run, I couldn't do much more than that. I will be running today (again a brick, but swimming then running). So I'll post later. Plan on doing 4 miles.

Total (so far).
    1.3 miles
  • robin52077
    Options
    Day 6: 6/1 - 2.5 mile run
    11.8 miles to go!
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    I ran out of time at the gym, and only got 3 miles in.

4.3 miles complete with 11 days to go.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    that is a great goal. don't be surprised if you find that you've done more than this :)
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    Ran 5 miles last night.

9.3 complete with 10 days to go.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    it's funny that you mention wanting to do a marathon after having watched daris, koli, michael and ashley finish 26.2 miles because I felt the same way after that episode. The very next day I signed up for the SF Marathon which is July 25th. I've never ran more than 3 miles in my life before signing up for the marathon but since then I've been running 10 miles nonstop. Those guys are such an inspiration. Good luck with moving a marathon.

I am a runner and have completed several half marathons and one full marathon and am currently training for my second full marathon. I too was very inspired when i saw the contestants on the Biggest Loser complete their marathon. HOWEVER, it takes training and a slow increase in mileage to safely run a marathon without injury. No more than 10% increase per week is recommended. One month is not nearly enough to train for a marathon. I caution anyone who wants to do this to do it safely and gradually. You can easily get injuries like stress fractures, IT Band problems, knee problems, hip problems etc that can take you out of being able to run for weeks or months if you train hastily or improperly. When I trained for my first half marathon, I developed a stress fracture of my tibia and was unable to run for 4 weeks. I am not speaking from on high, but from experience and out of compassion and concern. While I love the Biggest Loser, it is TV and they show what makes for good tv, that does not make it the safe and responsible way to train. What Darris did was amazing, but is not typical or usual. He had supports from the trainers and the show that the general public do not have. It is not just about completing the miles. Proper hydration and nutrition are essential as well.

I love the idea of running 26.2 miles over time. It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment and will show you what you are really capable of and then some. It is possible for people who have never been runners to train for and run or run/walk (there is no shame in that) a marathon. Check out www.jeffgalloway.com for tips on how to do this.

All the best to each of you.
    Risa
  • robynrae_1
    Options
    1.5 mile walk on wed
    2.6 miles on the bike on thursday

I only have 3 miles left to go!!!!:noway:

I am back at work so it will go a little slower than last week. I work 7 days on 7 days off. When I work my 7 days I don't get much done. :embarassed:
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    Ran 5 miles last night.

9.3 complete with 10 days to go.

Ran 5 miles again last night.

14.3 miles done with 8 days left.