Couch potatoe to 5K

Options
OK, my daughter has signed us both up to run a 5k to raise money for cancer research in July. Having lost both of my parents and my niece to cancer in the last 18 months I am keen to raise the money, but I have never run anywhere before. In fact my philosophy on buses has always been "Never mind there'll be another one soon." So I have found a training programme on Active.com and I have a pair of reasonable running shoes...but I can't find a sports bra that goes up to my size anywhere.

Apart from needing a lot of encouragement as I throw childish trantrums about how horrible this is, does anyone know anywhere that provides sports wear for the well endowed?

And please tell me that this will not be absolute agony, at least not all the time.

Replies

• shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the well endowed; although I know REI provides a wide range of sizes in sports bras. Regarding the running...for me, the first two weeks were the worst and I did have to repeat a few days (if I didn't do the exact training I would repeat it until I could do it) but I didn't beat myself up about it. I will say that as long as I didn't skip days, it got easier and easier. Good luck.
  • mheath1293
    mheath1293 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started a C25K program on Friday. Just completed my second run! I am using the app on my phone called RunDouble. You can sync it to your computer and it shows your whole route as well as how fast you went for each interval. It's really simple to use and you can play music in the background while running the program. I am not a runner at all, but this program is really working out for me. It's a bit of a challenge, but nothing unbearable and i always feel great when I'm done.

No help on the sports bra though. Lol sorry!
  • KansasRider
    KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nike Dri Fit is amazing!! Good luck. stick to it and you will be running and even enjoying it in no time!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have just surfed for an hour and found a sports bra which is only 1 cup size too small so I've ordered that, am planning on a brisk walk tomorrow (stinking cold atm) and I am going to raise £500 in July.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add there is no shame in race walking your first 5k. The important thing is the cancer research and becoming more active. Do what feels right for your body.